Should I get the Comply eartips for my Etymotic HF-5?
Jan 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

miko

New Head-Fier
Hello, I bough the HF-5 today. I tried the Tri-Flange Tips which came pre-install on the headphone. While the right side had no problem, I had difficulty in keeping the left side one from falling. It seems that the stock eartip on the right fits my ear better than that on the left. I also heard more noise from the left ear. What seems to be the problem here? After several trials, I had to push both tips very hard to the point that I felt some pain. Should I stop pushing when I feel pain? I came across Comply. Are those tips from this company better (in terms of sound isolation and comfort) than those stock ones which came with the HF-5? Which one do you recommend? Thanks.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 11
  Hello, I bough the HF-5 today. I tried the Tri-Flange Tips which came pre-install on the headphone. While the right side had no problem, I had difficulty in keeping the left side one from falling. It seems that the stock eartip on the right fits my ear better than that on the left. I also heard more noise from the left ear. What seems to be the problem here? After several trials, I had to push both tips very hard to the point that I felt some pain. Should I stop pushing when I feel pain? I came across Comply. Are those tips from this company better (in terms of sound isolation and comfort) than those stock ones which came with the HF-5? Which one do you recommend? Thanks.

are you talking about the grey triple flanges? IMO those are the best tips PERIOD for the hf5, i have tried ALOT of tips for the hf5 and the ety triple flange tips are the best.

however if you are having problems with them the comply might work for you, however i find that foam hurts the sound quality, it might help with comfort or bass but it tends to veil or muffle the mids and highs which are the hf5's bread and butter IMO.

you might want to try the westone tru fit tips these kind of give you a little more options as far as foam and silicone.

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 11
it's pretty typical to hurt yourself with different tips on your first day with any etymotic IEM. ^_^

for sound+isolation the triflange end up being the best IMO, but comfort is another mater. with time both your ears and the triflange will adapt and be better.

left is the provided foam, center is comply large, and right is comply medium.
there are also the pro ones from comply that are too long for me on ETYs and forbid me to insert the IEM deep enough for good sound. but they are great on IEMs with swallower insertion.
so if you feel that the provided foam is really too large and pushes your ear a lot, comply might do it. it's also less itchy than the provided foam but a little under in isolation performance. 

TBH you will reach a point where you know your ears and know if what matters for tip is size or length, shape or fabric. not long enough might not seal well, too long with foam usually end up obstructing the passage way of sound. there is not one better than the other simply because we all have different ears. some even get different tips for each ear.

good luck in your quest.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 11
Yes. I am talking about the grey triple flanges.

What caused the pain? If I continued to push hard into my ears, will I damage my ears?

I had something like the middle one in the photo on my Shure 115. Compared with cheap headphones, it was good for sound isolation but I could hear people when they talk loudly. I have the left provided foam you mentioned. As I rubbed it the first time, there seems to be some kind of plastic-like frabic coming out of it. What is that? Shall I try to remove these frabic to avoid them falling inside my ears? Should I get the Comply P-series of TX-100? Are the westone tru fit tips better at sound isolation than the stock ones from the HF-5?

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 11
Do you try to go straight in. Or at a angle. I found found in at a angle and pushing to Where it feels like suction creates the best seal.

I don't think you should push if you are causing pain. That's not what should be happening.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 11
I would switch to Complys or those Westone tips someone else mentioned. I sold my Etys partially because I didnt like how with the clear tri-flanges, I could push them into my ear far enough to damage something. I don't know what it hit...but it hurt.

EDIT: some people also cut the tri-flanges so they are more comfortable, you could try that. I don't know the details like which end you cut off, how to cut, etc. but there should be a discussion about it somewhere on head fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back