Should I get the Audio-Technica ATH M50 or Shure SRH840
Jan 18, 2012 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AddisonTaras

New Head-Fier
I've recently become very interested in getting great quality headphones.

For about a year now I've had the "Superlux HD681B" and they're fairly good (the highs are ear bleeding if you don't mess with an equalizer though) so I'm looking to step up.
I'm trying to decide between the ATH-M50 or the SRH840 but I can't just decide which one to choose.
(they're supposed to both be very good from what I hear)

I don't know if this matters but for music that I listen to: I listen to pretty much everything.

I'll name some artists I listen to (if this does anything to affect what headphones you think I should get)

Rammstein (favorite band so I listen to them the most)
Eminem (more of his older stuff)
50 Cent
Childish Gambino
Kanye West
System of a Down
Childish Gambino
Coldplay
David Bowie
A Perfect Circle
Notorious B.I.G.

Just to name some.
(I listen to some Electronic here and there but not much, I'm very open with all music)

So which headphones do you think I should get?
Thanks.

PS
Just signed up but I always used this site before, so I'm a noobie, haha.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #2 of 11
I say go for ATH-M50! It's cheaper and has good bass. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 11
That's the one I'm leaning the most towards too.

I listened to the ATH-M30 cause someone I know has them and they were pretty good, they sounded like my superlux just better highs and more flat.
I'm going for the ATH-M50 though over that since that's supposed to be much better.

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 11
I tried both of them in a store recently and I liked the M50 better, by a huge margin.
Could be the gears they had in store... like synergy? Or maybe that SRH840 was broken/defective because it sounded pretty darn bad to me.

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
is there any other in same price range or cheaper that is on par with the M50 sound quality? or close to, with Detachable cable or more comfortable for your head?

KRK 8400. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 11
Technically speaking and SQ, the srh840 win easily, for your music tastes, i don't know, but I would always recommend the srh840 over the m50.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Technically speaking and SQ, the srh840 win easily, for your music tastes, i don't know, but I would always recommend the srh840 over the m50.

Kind of agree with this.
I didn't even compare the M50 to the 840, I compared it to my SRH440 (with 840 pads) and
the M50 was a bit darker and more congested... but again, it will ALL depend on your preferences!

Someone mentioned the KRKs, great headphones for the price but almost no bass and I found it boring with most
of the music I threw at it (mostly Rock, Punk and Indie...)

If you have a store where you could try them, please do so and let us know how it went!! :wink:

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 11
I will.
The only thing that sucks is that the music shop that has the headphones is an hour away and I can't drive unless I get a ride.
Plus I don't have all the money ATM but whatever, I'll get either of these headphones someday.

Thanks guys.

PS. still not sure which one I'm gonna get, I'll probably rent both of them cause you can rent stuff from the place that has them.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #10 of 11
If the place rents equipment, even better.
If not, ask them if they have any "return" policies!

Good luck!

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 11
^ Agree with that.

Testing in stores is one thing... for starters if you are able to do that, you should. Better if you have your own portable equipment you can test there with; I really don't think the system I got the try the SRH840 on was working properly. If you have doubts as to whether the headphones themselves are working properly, better ask the employees if you can try a fresh-out-of-the-box one just in case. Still, always better to test on your own gears so that you know it will work well and sound good with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back