Should I get the 0404 USB?
Aug 17, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #61 of 84
Got rid of the lagging (had to lower one setting under Advanced --> Shuffle (don't remember which one)).

@Sir Nobax
Looks-wise I have no problems with it, it's just the philosophy behind the Media Library and browser panel and album list panel (they work only with the whole library). But I've got an idea how to sort that out. Really, I was too angry when I posted that, foobar is a fine program, just very difficult to learn.

btw anyone got some nice Track Display panel configs? I really need one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #62 of 84
You should take a look at the linky i gave you, its the nicest Track display i've seen.

AboutTime.jpg

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #63 of 84
hi all,

i'm debating buying the 0404 usb and have a few questions.

i will mostly be using it with some active speakers(not balanced) I do have some custom westone es2 IEMs but will rarely use them.

I have a macbook pro laptop as the music source. will the volume control through the computer still be where i change the volume? i want to be able to use the apple remote to adjust the volume...

should i use the spdif or usb(or is their a choice?) from my laptop to the 0404?

I see some on this post mentioning balanced active speakers. recommendations on some really good ones? currently i have audioengine active speakers which sound great but i'd like a better low end. i have a paradigm ps1200 subwoofer hooked up to them but feel the bottoms don't transition as nice as I'd like...

thanks for feedback.

Aug 17, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #64 of 84
@Sir Nobax

Thanks but I like my current (although unfinished) setup a bit better.
biggrin.gif
Oh, and so that there is no misunderstanding, by track display panel I mean the one where information about a track appears (artist, album, bitrate, location, times played etc.).
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #65 of 84
Oh right, my bad.

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #66 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a macbook pro laptop as the music source. will the volume control through the computer still be where i change the volume? i want to be able to use the apple remote to adjust the volume...

should i use the spdif or usb(or is their a choice?) from my laptop to the 0404?

Pick your poison. If you adjust volume upstream of the 0404 USB, connected via either S/PDIF or USB, you lose resolution--the only way to reduce volume over a digital connection is to cut bits.

You can use either input to the 0404 USB. All of my experience is on the PC side, not with Macs, so I have no idea of what the advantages or disadvantages of USB on a Mac might be, considering differences in the drivers between PC's and Mac's, etc. etc.

The most transparent way to adjust volume is an analog device at the end of the stream.....meaning, the main level output pot on the 0404 USB itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see some on this post mentioning balanced active speakers. recommendations on some really good ones? currently i have audioengine active speakers which sound great but i'd like a better low end. i have a paradigm ps1200 subwoofer hooked up to them but feel the bottoms don't transition as nice as I'd like...

The difference between balanced and unbalanced is not all that significant in the consumer audio world. Balanced connections have their place in a studio where there is substantial potential for EMI/RFI interference from other gear, so balanced is the standard in that realm........but as a consumer, you would be better off to select active speakers based on the sound or affordability rather than whether they have the capability to take a balanced input (which doesn't automatically qualify them as superior.)

Aug 17, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #68 of 84
It "equals" the avarage volume, it doesn't process anything however so it will still be bit-perfect.

You can do what pleases you, IMO it works like crap, especially when you have very dynamic music mixed up with loud rock.

Aug 17, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #69 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It "equals" the avarage volume, it doesn't process anything however so it will still be bit-perfect.

You can do what pleases you, IMO it works like crap, especially when you have very dynamic music mixed up with loud rock.

Replaygain does indeed manipulate the data. Go to:

http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/calculating_rg.html

and you will find that that to be the case.

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #70 of 84
Hmmm, looks like it should be disabled then, it never did me any good anyway.

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #71 of 84
I'm new to this forum... I did get an E-MU 0404 USB, but I'm having problems getting it to cooperate with an older iMac 17" with USB 1.1 (I know, I know...)

I've downloaded and installed the 4/20/2007 install package from E-MU, followed instructions, and can drive my Midi keyboard from the Mac Audio MIDI setup MIDI Devices screen.

I know it's not a cabling issue, since the output and input seem to work ...

What isn't working for me is...
- the Audio MIDI Setup Audio Devices won't show the device in the pull downs for Default Input/Output - I still only see built-in Audio as the only option
- the E-MU 0404 | USB [Control Panel] shows no device

Any one else run into this or have suggestions of how to resolve?

Aug 18, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #72 of 84
Can't help you, but the installation on WinXP was flawless. Easiest driver installation ever: Start PC, insert CD, connect E-MU (a pop up appears, make it look at the CD-drive), install drivers from the CD (not the software, just the drivers) restart, done.

Ofcourse Mac would be a bit different, and i have no experience with that, but i don't think it would be Way off..

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #73 of 84
Replaygain, if I remember correctly, doesn't manipulate the data any more than say foobar's digital attenuation. Technically, there is a change, although I'll be darned if someone can truly tell the difference between a -4.0db digital attenuation and -4.0db worth of analog attenuation.

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #74 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Replaygain, if I remember correctly, doesn't manipulate the data any more than say foobar's digital attenuation. Technically, there is a change, although I'll be darned if someone can truly tell the difference between a -4.0db digital attenuation and -4.0db worth of analog attenuation.

That's what I thought it did, too......just adjusted volume, but it also applies some other equal loudness compensation....from the page I linked above:

"The human ear does not perceive sounds of all frequencies as having equal loudness. For example, a full scale sine wave at 1kHz sounds much louder than a full scale sine wave at 10kHz, even though the two have identical energy. To account for this, the signal is filtered by an inverted approximation to the equal loudness curves (sometimes referred to as Fletcher-Munson curves)."

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #75 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I thought it did, too......just adjusted volume, but it also applies some other equal loudness compensation....from the page I linked above:

"The human ear does not perceive sounds of all frequencies as having equal loudness. For example, a full scale sine wave at 1kHz sounds much louder than a full scale sine wave at 10kHz, even though the two have identical energy. To account for this, the signal is filtered by an inverted approximation to the equal loudness curves (sometimes referred to as Fletcher-Munson curves)."

Oh, crap. So replaygain has a integrated Loudness function, great!
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back