Should I get the 0404 USB?
Aug 14, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #46 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you going to buy a phono preamp too, or do you have software to take care of the RIAA equalization required for LP's?

I have a NAD 3105 integrated amp that I got at Goodwill for $20. It's supposed to have a good phono stage. I'll use a tape out to the 0404 USB.

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #47 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out item #9 on page 11 of the pdf version of the 0404 USB user's manual. Never paid attention to that detail before.......

There are two different marks on the input level pots for 0 dB gain, depending on whether you are using balanced or unbalanced connections.

You probably will have to set the pots at the "wide white mark" around 10 o'clock (0 dB for unbal connection), where the tracking should be better than way down low.

Hmmm, page 11 shows me how to install the E-MU under OSX.

I do remember one thing though, it was something like: that balanced connections where 6dB more sensitive or something like that, so i presume the dot is the +6dB balanced notification for unbalanced line-in's (so the 0dB mark for unbalanced).

(oh just for your interest, i haven't touched any manual at all, i just plugged in the E-MU -> installed drivers -> configured foobar -> listened with big smile on face)

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #49 of 84
Ah yes, i see.

When using the line-out of a unbalanced device you indeed have to put it on the dot instead.
Heh, i should start reading manuals sometime
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #51 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by gkl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, hopefully tomorrow I'll finally get the 0404. And, hell, better be worth it, considering all the hassle that I have changing from iTunes to foobar (good ole ASIO).
smily_headphones1.gif

It works fine from iTunes. I've yet to find software that meets my requirements better then iTunes. foobar definately doesn't, I know, I've tried twice. I cannot tell the difference between iTunes playing 128 bit AAC and foobar playing FLAC through ASIO. Before changing over, try just a few songs to see if you notice a difference. If you don't, stay with iTunes.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #52 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, i should start reading manuals sometime
tongue.gif

And hopefully the latest versions, too, I guess.

I see now that E-MU originally did a "hardware only" version of the 0404 USB manual at the outset, a hard copy of which was in the box with a pdf on the disc, along with the software installation info on separate sheets......and that is all incorporated in the newest manual, all in one document.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #53 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot tell the difference between iTunes playing 128 bit AAC and foobar playing FLAC through ASIO.

Mmmm, i can clearly hear a difference between 128kbps AAC/MP3 and a 256kbps+ file.

Most of the times i can tell 192kbps MP3's apart from others when i am paying attention to details while listening.

Ah, well, everybody has his own perspective on bitrates i guess.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #54 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmm, i can clearly hear a difference between 128kbps AAC/MP3 and a 256kbps+ file.

Most of the times i can tell 192kbps MP3's apart from others when i am paying attention to details while listening.

Ah, well, everybody has his own perspective on bitrates i guess.

And that's why I suggest the OP does his own ears instead of someone else's.
lambda.gif
If he used my ears, he might be missing something. With yours, he might have overkill.

That said, in my home and work setup, I listen to Apple Lossless since that is my archive format. I listen to the 128 AAC on my iPod. I meant that he needs to see if he can hear the difference between iTunes without ASIO and foobar with.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #55 of 84
Yeah, one thing i highly recommend is that everybody should store the lossless files somewhere on your pc, so you always have them ready if you get a better listening rig.

I didn't, and now with my current Big Rig i can hear every compression flaw in a album.

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #56 of 84
^What bitrate did the songs have? ATM most (like 90%) of my songs are V0 and I doubt I could hear THAT much difference from FLAC.

EDIT
Although I am in the process of FLACifying my favoutite albums.

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #57 of 84
Quote:

^What bitrate did the songs have? ATM most (like 90%) of my songs are V0 and I doubt I could hear THAT much difference from FLAC.

EDIT
Although I am in the process of FLACifying my favoutite albums.

About 80% is 192CBR, 15% ~212VBR, 5% other, i don't know the 'title' the ~212VBR's have, but it's encoded with the LAME 3.97 codec.

Thats what you'll get, if you ABX a long time ago and find out that 192cbr is enough. (my old phone (for portable music that time) couldnt play VBR files, so that why CBR)

Not listening to lossless on a non-portable rig, is a real shame if you'd ask me, especially with the ultra low (external) harddrive costs these days.

[EDIT] BTW, all of them are MP3's.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #58 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It works fine from iTunes. I've yet to find software that meets my requirements better then iTunes. foobar definately doesn't, I know, I've tried twice. I cannot tell the difference between iTunes playing 128 bit AAC and foobar playing FLAC through ASIO. Before changing over, try just a few songs to see if you notice a difference. If you don't, stay with iTunes.

x2 . Very positive results using iTunes with the 0404USB. You can always use apple lossless (flac equivalent) if you are happier with a lossless format.

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #59 of 84
So I got it. The installation went really smooth and quick. Easily set up ASIO in foobar. Question: why is foobar extremely lagging when press Next track or Previous Track?
Regarding foobar, got it looking kinda the way I want but, guess what, apparently its Media Library function blows. Extremely. I mean, what the hell were the creators smoking when they made it? A specific folder is the library? What the hell? What if in this folder I have an album in FLAC for home use and the same one in MP3 for portable? Well, guess what, it's a ****ing mess. But hey, I could make a playlist. So I make a playlist. As it turns out, neither Browser plugin nor Album List plugin support browsing playlists, only the whole Library. Awesome! Arrrrrgggh
So, that's my small rant about foobar. Any possible suggestions on how to manage my library? And, really, if I can't sort this crap out I'm going straight back to iTunes.

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #60 of 84
Quote:

Question: why is foobar extremely lagging when press Next track or Previous Track?

Don't know, mine certainly isn't. Did you check the amount of buffering, it might be too high. (it should be fine by default, maybe you or software played with it?)

Quote:

But hey, I could make a playlist. So I make a playlist. As it turns out, neither Browser plugin nor Album List plugin support browsing playlists, only the whole Library. Awesome! Arrrrrgggh
So, that's my small rant about foobar. Any possible suggestions on how to manage my library? And, really, if I can't sort this crap out I'm going straight back to iTunes.

In this thread i covered a little piece, how to get Brumal - Winter working, you should give it a try, and if there are any problems regarding this skin PM me (because there are ALOT of faults in the skin).
The skin looks nice + it handles playlists fine.
LINKY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back