Should I get the 0404 USB?
Aug 9, 2007 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

gkl

100+ Head-Fier
So, yeh, the title basically says it all - should I get it? Because from what I've read, I think I should. Maybe there are some better options though?

Regarding current situation - I have an Audigy 2 ZS and HD595s hooked to it. Will be keeping the Audigy for gaming but since it's way too much hassle to crawl under table to plug in the headphones, I need something external. Won't be using an amp, btw. At least not now or near future.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 84
You should ask/PM Szabi, he's using his E-MU 0404 with an HD595, and also has an Audigy 2 ZS.

Aug 9, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 84
I have the E-MU 0404 USB as well as Sennheiser HD 595s.

Using the two of those separately, you should notice a good difference over the Audigy. Overall, I think the 0404 is a great DAC (especially considering the price) and an OK amp, which is why I added the Darkvoice 336i into my loop.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 84
If you're planning on getting an amplifier, and need a DAC, why not get the Corda Move?

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 84
One thing to consider about the 0404 is that its not portable. Its quite big and you need external power supply for it.

For portability there is DAC/AMP combo such as total bithead,corda move, ibasso D1 (soon to be released)

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 84
Portability is definitely not an issue as I'll be using it at home. Regarding amps, the possibility of getting one is really far away, because, like I said before, I need some IEMs (iBuds suck, period, and Vibes are broken). And, hell, for the price of an amp I might be interested in getting some Grados or Alessandros for the few rock/metal albums that I have (damn you, Head Fi!). So I don't know, imo the Corda Move isn't that better as a DAC to warrant the extra hassle of shipping one from Germany plus it's a bit more expensive.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 84
I'm not an IEM user as none of tips seem to fit my canals comfortably enough that I can focus on the music with the pain or itching going on in my ears......but I wonder how well the 0404 USB's internal headamp matches up with IEM's when it comes to gain and output impedance.

Can any 0404 USB/IEM users out there comment on that?

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by gkl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@sejarzo

I won't be using 0404 with an IEM, just with HD595.
smily_headphones1.gif

Might be worth considering the PCI version - difference in price might be enough to sway your decision.

I bought a 1212m because the retail in Australia is around $499 - whereas I was able to purchase a 1212m from a forum member for about $150 AUD - massive differrence, especially considering the 1212 uses higher quality onboard DAC.

Many will suggest the 0404 USB offers better quality, but my opinion is that the 1212m PCI will give you better sound than 0404 (PCI or usb), and possibly better connectivity.

Just an option to consider...

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 84
Ill have mine monday, ill give the amp a shot with my DT550 and aurvana's. I'll keep you informed.

The PCI version 'obviously' cannot be used without a pc, while the USB is a balanced pre-amp, which will make quite a team with balanced active speakers.

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 84
Oh btw, i am not planning to use the E-MU with an amp. As most people here say its pretty decent. Alot better then a PCI emu + amp for the same amount of money anyway.

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 84
I asked this in the other 0404 thread, but this one's title is more fitting so here goes..

I'm planning to setup a htpc soon and was wondering if I can do little gaming with Emu 0404 (usb)?
I'm aware that Emu is very much not gaming-oriented, but then again my gaming consists of Civ 4 and Medieval Total War every now and then.
So, can I run those without problems?
Otherwise the usage will be 80/20 movies/music with Beyer DT 770's..

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #15 of 84
You will need another soundcard for decent gaming, as the E-MU's dont have EAX. You could get a simple card (old audigy's) and use its optical/spdif out.

Movies + music is fine, although movies could need some buffering tweaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back