Should I get Sennheiser HD201?
Sep 29, 2007 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

MrSlacker

Headphoneus Supremus
Should I?

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 22
No. Your amps aren't good enough, you'd have to upgrade those as well... you need a job before you start exploring the world of Senn...

**BRENT**

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 22
For $20 I like them for beater 'phones with decent sound quality. They are not obviously as good as expensive headphones, but when amped they sound good for $20. They are not overly bassy or honky, but rather pretty flat.

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 22
bumpy bump

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 22
Obviously he's too much of a Slacker to use the search function to answer his questions... and he doesn't even understand the correct bumpology... it's "Bumpity Bump" not "bumpy bump." That is incoherent and trite.

**BRENT**

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 22
No! Buy something better sounding, and upgradeitis wont hit you that fast...

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No! Buy something better sounding, and upgradeitis wont hit you that fast...

like what?

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 22
The drivers are great actually but they've skimped on the housings. I put mine into HD580 housings and they sound great with the right amount of dampening.
Maybe you could talk someone into making large suggestive earcups out of exotic woods for them.
They sound best when attached directly to the posts of a two 2ch. amp by the way.

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 22
Now that I think about it, I agree with HFat about the housings. I can tell that the 201s have the ability to sound good, but something about the earcups really messed up the sound (somewhere between tinny and echo-ey).

For $20, spend your money somewhere else... like another pair of KSC75s and a headband to put them into.

Besides, you already have 580s... why do you want the 201s anyway?

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 22
Well, to transplant the drivers into the HD580s of course.

If you think the KSCs are better, then that's a problem with your amp. Keep in mind that they're 16 ohms so, to get the best out of them, they really need to be bi-amped with power amps designed for 8 ohms. I don't recommend that to Team Gin members but, properly amped, their bass is more controlled than the PS-1s'.

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 22
I can't stress enough the need for two 8-ohm power amps as HFat has recommended. You'll never really tap into the potential of these drivers with improper amping, something that has really held back the audiophile impression of these "budget" headphones. I'm not as sure about the HD580 as a housing for these, though; in my experience, AKG K3/4/50x housings really bring out the headstaging for these. Of course, you'll need to fabricate new baffle plates, but this is a relatively simple procedure.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 22
I say yeah! They are amazing headphones considering that they sound good, are closed, and less than $25. They are very handy to have for taking places you might not want to take nicer/more expensive headphones, or giving to people you might not want handling your better headphones. If you have a Jackson that's just burning a hole in your pocket, there are a lot worse things you could blow it on.

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like what?

Stax SR-007 ...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back