Should I get SE530s?
May 21, 2008 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

GuOD

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

My SF5P recently broke and I decided I am going to upgrade! I thought the sound was good - maybe a bit bass heavy, but good overall.

I was going to get e500s but they're now called SE530 I believe? Are these still popular and considered great?!
cool.gif

May 22, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 35
All good replies so far!

Keep in mind that their treble response isn't ideal. It's rolled off after 16kHz (balanced armature characteristic). They also suffer from a huge dip in the frequency response curve around 12-13kHz (check out HeadRoom's website). This last point is personally my biggest issue with them.

I do enjoy them despite the treble issue. Isolation is great, and they stay put.

May 22, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 35
I thought the iBuds sounded better than the 5 Pro, but the triple.fi 10 Pro...now that is in a whole 'nother galaxy! Continue your UE membership.
wink.gif

May 22, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 35
It's not only the sound quality that to me gives the 530s a leg up (though I will admit that there are other good sounding IEMs out there), but the comfort factor. NO OTHER IEM that I've tried comes close to the Shure 530s in the comfort factor. Easy to put on, easy to remove. Love it. I can wear them for hours (and have) with no sonic issues AND I can lay any way I please with no discomfort. Don't discount comfort when picking an IEM. SQ is very important of course, but if the IEM isn't comforatable then you won;t want to use them as often as you should. Just my two cents.

May 22, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 35
I had the 5 pro's and swapped them for the SE310 which I preferred. I found the sound on the 5 pro's while really colourful attractive, a little too vibrant, with bass being a touch over powering, over clouding some of the details.

I recently upgraded to the SE530's from the SE310's to get the same kind of layered clarity from the Pro 5's but with the dialled back more neutral sound of the SE310's, and that's exactly what I got. the SE530 is a cleaner, more detailed far more layered in regards to sound, version of the SE310. base is also more deep and punchy, whilst retaining other details across the board. I'd highly recommend them.

They also fit really well. Very very comfortable, and almost mould in to your ear shape.

IMG_4947b.jpg
21052008216b.jpg

May 22, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 35
Absolutely! I have waffled back and forth between Triple Fi and SE530 and I really do prefer the SE530. If I stick with listening to only one of these two IEM's I can really get use to and love it's sound but when A-B'ing the same exerpts of music backand forth, the "distant" presentation (recessed midrange) of TFP just doesn't sound right to me.

While many people point to the TFP better treble detail, I find better overall clarity with SE530. This is due to the insanely superior midrange of the SE530. I also prefer the bass of the SE530 because it slams more realistically like a dynamic driver.

May 22, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely! I have waffled back and forth between Triple Fi and SE530 and I really do prefer the SE530. If I stick with listening to only one of these two IEM's I can really get use to and love it's sound but when A-B'ing the same exerpts of music backand forth, the "distant" presentation (recessed midrange) of TFP just doesn't sound right to me.

While many people point to the TFP better treble detail, I find better overall clarity with SE530. This is due to the insanely superior midrange of the SE530. I also prefer the bass of the SE530 because it slams more realistically like a dynamic driver.

My thoughts exactly. I've been listening exclusively to the TFP for a few weeks now & i don't notice the distant, slightly grainy mids. They sound good actually. When compared directly to the SE530 though they sound so uninvolving. If my SE530 cable hadn't of cracked i'd be a happy Shure customer for life.

May 22, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

insanely is an exaggeration, id say the se530s mid range is a bit better, but the bass is big and bloats into the other ranges,

se530 good for lower mids and bass heavy music, male vocalists maybe
tf10 good for upper mids and treble, bass impact, female vocals definitly

May 22, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 35
I'm using Livewires now, but i tested the SE530s for a long time last month. Coming from the E1, E3, E4, E5, UM1, UM2, i'd say the SE530s are fantastic! Absolutely enjoyable. You will love them. They fit almost all kinds of music.

May 22, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 35
If you're going to upgrade to triple drivers why not go custom for the same price? Check out the FreQ threads before you make a decision. Fr
eek.gif

May 22, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
insanely is an exaggeration, id say the se530s mid range is a bit better, but the bass is big and bloats into the other ranges,

se530 good for lower mids and bass heavy music, male vocalists maybe
tf10 good for upper mids and treble, bass impact, female vocals definitly

big and bloats into other ranges... now that's an exaggeration. The bass by no means bloaty/muddy, they are just right to my ears, with amazing punch/attack.
IMHO, I found the sound of SE530 natural, with a superb warm enjoyable midrange.

Not to downplay the TF10pro, but from many reviews I read, they sounded too analytical/cold to be enjoyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back