Should I get SE530s?
May 22, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ace8888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
big and bloats into other ranges... now that's an exaggeration. The bass by no means bloaty/muddy, they are just right to my ears, with amazing punch/attack.
IMHO, I found the sound of SE530 natural, with a superb warm enjoyable midrange.

Not to downplay the TF10pro, but from many reviews I read, they sounded too analytical/cold to be enjoyed.

i find i cant hear the high range cause im distracted by the bass, some symphonic power metal peices i listen too make me want to cry a bit, its that amazing

se530s for chart rnb/rap :p etc music for sure

May 22, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. NO OTHER IEM that I've tried comes close to the Shure 530s in the comfort factor. Easy to put on, easy to remove. Love it. I can wear them for hours (and have) with no sonic issues AND I can lay any way I please with no discomfort. Don't discount comfort when picking an IEM. SQ is very important of course, but if the IEM isn't comforatable then you won;t want to use them as often as you should. Just my two cents.

You need to try customs
wink.gif

May 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
insanely is an exaggeration, id say the se530s mid range is a bit better, but the bass is big and bloats into the other ranges,

se530 good for lower mids and bass heavy music, male vocalists maybe
tf10 good for upper mids and treble, bass impact, female vocals definitly

SE530 midrange is it's strongest trait while midrange is TFP's worst trait IMHO. That's the reason for my "exaggeration."

SE530 bass can be bloated but is very tameable. Perfect example is with Ipod. On ROCK setting, yes, it is too overbearing for me but when switched to ELECTRONICA I find it rather perfect.

May 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530 midrange is it's strongest trait while midrange is TFP's worst trait IMHO. That's the reason for my "exaggeration."

SE530 bass can be bloated but is very tameable. Perfect example is with Ipod. On ROCK setting, yes, it is too overbearing for me but when switched to ELECTRONICA I find it rather perfect.

I also agree! I have SE530 with ELECTRONICA setting and it sounds perfect. Everything is very well balance. Anyone with SE530 + Apple device should try that setting for a day or two.

May 22, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ch28kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also agree! I have SE530 with ELECTRONICA setting and it sounds perfect. Everything is very well balance. Anyone with SE530 + Apple device should try that setting for a day or two.

Or better yet, get an amp and a line-out cable and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about. No bloated bass (not that I feel there is anyway), no bright treble (again, not to my ears), just a smooth, coherent sonic signature that tell the story of the recording without adding much of anything to it.

May 23, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely! I have waffled back and forth between Triple Fi and SE530 and I really do prefer the SE530. If I stick with listening to only one of these two IEM's I can really get use to and love it's sound but when A-B'ing the same exerpts of music backand forth, the "distant" presentation (recessed midrange) of TFP just doesn't sound right to me.

While many people point to the TFP better treble detail, I find better overall clarity with SE530. This is due to the insanely superior midrange of the SE530. I also prefer the bass of the SE530 because it slams more realistically like a dynamic driver.

I am just the opposite. After listening to the TFP I sold my shures. The shure's aren't bad phones but at least to my ears and tastes the TFP are a notch up. I do listen to plenty of trance/dance and female vocals all of which IMHO the TFP was better equipped to handle. Analytical? never heard that before about the triple.fi, I recall a few ppl saying something to that effect about the UE 10 pros and to be honest I find them much more lively and vibrant than the shures ever presented.
And while yes comfort is important the OP didn't say he had issues with the fit so its really a moot point and not worth discussing if a FreQ, shure, or any other brand is more comfortable.

May 23, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael415 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just the opposite. After listening to the TFP I sold my shures. The shure's aren't bad phones but at least to my ears and tastes the TFP are a notch up. I do listen to plenty of trance/dance and female vocals all of which IMHO the TFP was better equipped to handle. Analytical? never heard that before about the triple.fi, I recall a few ppl saying something to that effect about the UE 10 pros and to be honest I find them much more lively and vibrant than the shures ever presented.
And while yes comfort is important the OP didn't say he had issues with the fit so its really a moot point and not worth discussing if a FreQ, shure, or any other brand is more comfortable.

I'm kinda the same here, still have the Shure E5's but prefer the TF10's. This can go on forever with each person having his or her likes for each of these. I understand if someone likes the E530's over the TF10s-we're all just a little different-that's ok. I would recommend you try to audition both if possible to see what YOU prefer. If this isn't possible, just pick one and if you don't like it-resell it here or on the big auction site. Too many toys-too little time.

May 23, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #26 of 35
Male vocal voices are a dream with the SE530's. But, imo, these phones suffer from terrible sibilance with many recordings. Overall, I often found the entire treble too harsh and "loud". The Electronica iPod EQ -- while being the far best setting for these IEM -- only enhances the treble harshness and sibilance and makes some songs downright painful to listen to at higher volumes. So if you are also hyper-sensitive with treble presentation, don't go for the SE530's.

May 25, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #27 of 35
Thanks for the opinions everyone - I think I'm pretty much set on getting the SE530s! I'm just hoping I can get a replacement cable for my SF5P since I found out the cable is causing the problem

My main music is trance so it sounds like the Shures are the one! Hiphop/Pop should also sound better with them too.

May 25, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy855 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Male vocal voices are a dream with the SE530's. But, imo, these phones suffer from terrible sibilance with many recordings. Overall, I often found the entire treble too harsh and "loud". The Electronica iPod EQ -- while being the far best setting for these IEM -- only enhances the treble harshness and sibilance and makes some songs downright painful to listen to at higher volumes. So if you are also hyper-sensitive with treble presentation, don't go for the SE530's.

yeah, the se530s have a noisy (bad) loud top end, im really fussy for the treble

damn ipod eqs are rubbish

May 25, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #29 of 35
I actually fell asleep with the SE530's on last night. Woke up, took them out, and my ears were fine. These are the only earphones I own that did not give me ear ache after a full nights use.

The seal is also incredible, using them on the Underground, I don't have to go beyond 50% on my N95 8GB where as I had to go to 70% sometimes to get equal effect on the Super.Fi 5 Pro's.

I'm really tempted to get the Triple.Fi's to compare and contrast with the SE530, but from everything I've read, I think I'll just end up keeping the SE530. The main thing for me is comfort and seal. The SF5 pro's just never seemed to seal right, no matter the tip I used. You can tell they're in as well, and can only use them for so long without getting inner canal itch. Whereas with the SE530's you forget they are in after a while.

I hear the TF10's have better treble and high's than the SE530's but that the SE530's have better lows, mids and bass. I have to say, the bass and the mids are the two things I'm loving most about the SE530. The bass is just so punchy and detailed. Kind of has that umph to it that either taps or caresses your inner soul depending on the kind of bass. The clarity of the mids is sublime. Since one the main ingredient of modern music today often consists of an emphasis on mids, that's got to be a good thing.

I've managed to create an EQ for the SE530's that just sounds amazingly potent. High's really detailed, and the rest of the levels retaining their quality with added effect.

Decisions decisions. Honestly though, I think I'm just being greedy and materialistic now. The SE530's are near enough perfect thus far, so I'm probably better of just sticking to them without trying anything else.

Al4x, just have a quick question for you. When you owned the SE530 and TF10's, did you play around with EQ settings at all? Or mainly stick to default settings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back