Should I get my C555ES modify or by a used Sony SCD-777ES/XA777ES??
Aug 27, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #31 of 53
Congrats Purk. I needed another source so I picked up a used SCD555ES on audiogon and had him ship it directly to SACDmods. I too am getting the reference mods and the power cord. I'm already drooling. Don't forget it is a changer to boot! I should get mine any time now, since he recieved it about 2 weeks ago! Changers are so convienient.

Aug 27, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #32 of 53
dolifant,
Congrats to you too. I only wish you get to hear the unit stock.
smily_headphones1.gif
You will be very impressed no matter what.

Aug 27, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #34 of 53
Well, I guess everyone and his brother is ahead of me at SACDmods! This is going to be a long and painful wait. Glad to hear your views Purk. My anticipation went through the roof! Can't wait to hear my modded player but time has slowed to a virtual crawl!

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #35 of 53
KenW,
Where are u in GA? It took only two days for shipping to arrive from Mathew's place. I talked with the UPS guy earlier today and he was complaining about a big and heavy box (C555ES) yesterday.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
KenW,
Where are u in GA? It took only two days for shipping to arrive from Mathew's place. I talked with the UPS guy earlier today and he was complaining about a big and heavy box (C555ES) yesterday.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

N. Ga and that was cold, man! Very cold!
icon10.gif

I'm hoping for next week sometime but not gonna press Matt. Want him doing his finest work on my player. Just hope UPS doesn't play dodgeball with it on the way home though. Many of my packages delivered to my office look beat to heck and back. Hope Matt double boxes for the return trip.

Hey, if you make the gathering, be sure to put your modded player up against any and all comers. I'll be looking for a report. As for me, it's college football time and I'm off to see the boy play!

Aug 29, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #37 of 53
I've got an off the topic question.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing my Meridian with an SACDmods 555es, but have one concern. Will I still be able to use my CD mats? I regularly use a Statmat CDi Blue and Herbies Grundgebuster and wonder if they would shift and get stuck in the platter mechanism.

Any have expereince here?

Aug 29, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #38 of 53
I got my modded SCD555ES yesterday. It sounds great even before the 150 hrs of burn in.

I got no manual, so I have a few questions. I notice it defaults to multichannel on multi SACDs. Is there a way to change the default to 2-ch. I am using the unit as a headphone source. I use another source for 5.1.

Are the multichannel outputs active at all times, or only on multi SACDs? So far I am just using the 2-ch outputs, which I believe were upgraded by SACDmods.

What is a zap filter. In the box there was a plastic bag with what I assume were the old 2-ch RCA output plugs. I think they were replaced by zap filter. What does a zap filter do?

Anybody know where I can get a manual?

I didn't get to hear it stock, but am amazed by the cd playback. SACD is great too, but I think the upgrades are more apparant with cd.

Aug 29, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #39 of 53
Try the remote. There is an option to always default to 2 channel.

As for the ZapFilter, it replaces the opamps in the analog stage. You can look at one and read about it at the SACDmods site or at the LC Audio website. Click on the "cd upgrades" option on the left.

You did check the Sony site, right? I think all manuals are there for download in .pdf

Aug 29, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #40 of 53
dolifant,
Try this website:
http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/sosdocs/...rc=sonysupport

and type in "SCDC555ES" and you can download the PDF version from the website.

About the impression, I feel the some of SACD is a lot better...you can AB Diana Krall-When I look into you eyes or Diana Krall-The Girl in the Other Room.

Purk

Aug 29, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #41 of 53
To be honest I would have bought a used xa777es or scd-777es.

Why you ask? Well you get about the same sound quality with excellent build quality, and an awesome upgrade path if you decide to go with that in the future. But you might not really need to upgrade, but need-want....well we know how that goes....

k.s.

Aug 29, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #42 of 53
Thanks guys, I downloaded the manual and got it set to play 2-ch on multi SACDs. It sounds great. Have some of you heard the differences between stock and SACDmods?. Is it mainly on CD or both SACD and CD?

Aug 29, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by KShaft
To be honest I would have bought a used xa777es or scd-777es.

Why you ask? Well you get about the same sound quality with excellent build quality, and an awesome upgrade path if you decide to go with that in the future. But you might not really need to upgrade, but need-want....well we know how that goes....

k.s.

What's in the 777 v. the modded 555? I guess there's the changer vs. single-disc argument along with some power supply differences. Is the DAC powered a lot better on the 777? You're not going to be able to improve much on the Zapfilter for the analog side of things, I would guess.

EDIT: Okay, I looked it up. The transport is top shelf. That's certainly worthy. What else?

Aug 29, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by dolifant
I got my modded SCD555ES yesterday. It sounds great even before the 150 hrs of burn in.

Aaaarrrgghhh!!! I'm dying here. Just how many more got in ahead of me?

Aug 29, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #45 of 53
KenW,
Your should arrive soon, not to worry. I will be thinking of you every time when I listen to my C555ES
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

dolifant,

At one time, I owned C222ES sacdmods, C333ES, and C555ES. Then I modded my C555ES by replacing the original op-amps with OPA-627.

B/w the C333ES and C555ES stock, I feel that the C333ES has slightly better redbook and about the same level of performance in SACD playback. The C555ES stock can be described as slightly sterile with analytical presentation.

I now left with two players, C333ES and C555ES sacdmods player, and different is big. The upgrade really worth it. You should get the Diana Krall SACDs and listen to the difference b/w the redbook and sacd playback. The SACD playback is considerably better and very REAL. The improvements are smaller in Hybrid Norah Jones-Come Away w/ Me SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back