should i get monster turbine gold for $180? updated impression and comparison
Jan 24, 2011 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

akacoke

100+ Head-Fier
i listen to a lot of old school rap, and R&B.

wu tang clan, 2pac, dre, nas. onyx, dmx. jayz, black moon, das efx. cool j.      usher, jaheim, mariah carey, alyshia keys, keyshia cole, luther vandross etc

i need lots lots of bass, crisp clear natural musical sound. of couse good mid and highs for R&B

im upgrading from portapros and brainwavz m2, and im pretty much a noob, i consider myself have sharp ears. i really want to be done spending anymore money on earphones, the reason i really want the golds are bass, sound and warranty. is there anything bad about them i should know before i buy

onecall give me 180, some members said they take 170 for brand new with free shipping. i used my price thing few times tried to offer 170 , they wont take it.

also, are there any other IEMs have better bass, warranty and sound under 200?

any input will be very appreciated !!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01/27/2011 with 3 hrs burn in

right out of box i experienced the infamous monster's driver flex, tried all tips finally settled with comply tips(not sure if that's how you call them, they are quiet big ,and flexes a lot , very comfortable. no driver flex), like joker said in his review the golds sound dramatically different with different tips and insert depth

here is my first impression, the golds are very well build , right out of the box they sound amazingly good, as I'm listening/burning them in right now they sound very full with the comply tips3 ranges is very balanced even though they are so bass heavy, i don't know anything about soundstage so i cant comment. they sound faster than any of the headphones i have ever owned. at any volume they sound the same, i cant here any darkness, they are quiet bright just for my taste, but sound a lil colder than the m2 as im used to m2's warm mid range. separation is great nothing gets into anything, a lot of detail just like most monster headphones Ive heard

bass got good impact , sub bass is like crazy low, some of the tracks  like jaheim-till it all happens to you i hear some kinda softness at mid bass(not hitting as hard as my brainwavz m2) , these 2's sub bass is not on the same level . i could barely hear sub bass on m2.  overall bass quantity is about 10-20% more than my m2,  i dont know how to describe this , but the bass on the gold is a lot bouncier than m2.

midrange is very well positioned not like my m2 fairly forward , by no means golds' mid is recessed, your cant call the mid colored but still a lil bit i guess, with the comply tips it sounds very full , its like right at your ears

treble is awesome, lots lots of sparks which i never heard, quiet bright when i listen to some of the usher's slow tracks. mariah carey lives right in your head !! the treble extension is crazy when i listen to alicia keys - fallin' . what amazes me the most is the golds are completely free of harshness and sibilance(like what joker said in his 113 IEM thread)

well so far im loving my turbine gold, i was kinda expecting more bass than my koss portapros in quantity.  unfortunately , the gold got similar or less bass than the portapro, I'm not dispointed at all. comparing m2 and the gold , i like them both, IMO the m2 sound clearer then the gold, because I'm using the comply tips, Ive tried the comply tips on the m2 they sound like crap with the comply tips.  gold will really put a smile on your face when you llisten, its very relaxed just like the m2s, you can listen to them for hours you still not tired. overall i would be happier if they have just a lil bit more bass impact and quantity,  anyways this is my first impression on them with 3 hrs of burn in, i hope some one finds this helpfull

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 13
I think you'll be happy. The Miles Davis I have are said to have near-identical impact of the golds; and believe me, they really punch your ears. It doesnt sound noticably bloated either, compared to the turbine coppers that is

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 13
Let me know what you think of them. I have the turbines and like them alot and the other editions have obviously caught my attention.

Aleki: The coppers don't sound great compared to the golds?

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Aleki: The coppers don't sound great compared to the golds?

Nope, I think you had me confused there. They dont offer as much bass as the MD's or Golds, but that's not to say they sound worse. The Copper's, to my ears, present music with a flatter spectrum. at higher volume, I find the bass doesnt interfere with the music as much with the copper's, which is why I perfer them when listening to music in a noisy environment. For home, I like using the MD's because they deliver a full-featured theatre punch + well detailed highs at lower volumes.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 13
thanks for clearing that up, I've had a price watch on the golds and the coppers for a while now. I would never pay full price for them, but if I can ever catch them on sale I think I would definately grab a pair to try out.

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 13
I think the Golds will fit your music well.  At first I thought they almost had too much bass, but then I loved it.  They have really nice bass extension, impact, and clarity.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 13
i previous had real bad experience with monster jamz,  god i hated that pair of headphone, the are heavily colored.  i thought id never get anything from monster, ever since then i lurked around here and read lots of things, i thot the Golds might be the one for me. 

i will def let yall know what i think about the gold , and how they compare to portapros and m2s

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
I think the price is good. Considering you are going to have lifetime warranty. Just make sure the onecall is authorized dealer.

yeah i wanted to know if you buy it off of onecall do you still get the warranty? i'm assuming it's not the open box kind

also op kindly let us know what you think of them. i have very similar music and headphones tastes to you i think and i've been saving for them so i'm very interested in your review of the mtpg's

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 13
i used the my price option offered them 170 174 178 and 180, they only take 180,  i cant wait any longer so i went ahead and ordered.  they are brand new with full warranty free shipping and no tax for ca, so its 180 flat if you dont like them just simply send them back at your own cost they charge no restocking fee

onecall is authorized dealer you will get warranty from monster,  anything happens you pay the shipping sent the headphones back to monster, they will replace or repair then send then back for not charge

i will def let you guys know what i think about them, i could be wrong cuz im still a noob lol

peace

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
i used the my price option offered them 170 174 178 and 180, they only take 180,  i cant wait any longer so i went ahead and ordered.  they are brand new with full warranty free shipping and no tax for ca, so its 180 flat if you dont like them just simply send them back at your own cost they charge no restocking fee

onecall is authorized dealer you will get warranty from monster,  anything happens you pay the shipping sent the headphones back to monster, they will replace or repair then send then back for not charge

i will def let you guys know what i think about them, i could be wrong cuz im still a noob lol

peace

nope, youre on the ball there. monster warranty is pretty straightforward. they will usually print a return label on request. just be sure you have a scan or copy of your receipt to send in if they ever break.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 13
OK guys

right out of box i experienced the infamous monster's driver flex, tried all tips finally settled with comply tips(not sure if that's how you call them, they are quiet big ,and flexes a lot , very comfortable. no driver flex), like joker said in his review the golds sound dramatically different with different tips and insert depth

here is my first impression, the golds are very well build , right out of the box they sound amazingly good, as I'm listening/burning them in right now they sound very full with the comply tips3 ranges is very balanced even though they are so bass heavy, i don't know anything about soundstage so i cant comment. they sound faster than any of the headphones i have ever owned. at any volume they sound the same, i cant here any darkness, they are quiet bright just for my taste, but sound a lil colder than the m2 as im used to m2's warm mid range. separation is great nothing gets into anything, a lot of detail just like most monster headphones Ive heard

bass got good impact , sub bass is like crazy low, some of the tracks  like jaheim-till it all happens to you i hear some kinda softness at mid bass(not hitting as hard as my brainwavz m2) , these 2's sub bass is not on the same level . i could barely hear sub bass on m2.  overall bass quaint is about 10-20% more than my m2,  i dont know how to describe this , but the bass on the gold is a lot bouncier than m2.

midrange is very well positioned not like my m2 fairly forward , by no means golds' mid is recessed, your cant call the mid colored but still a lil bit i guess, with the comply tips it sounds very full , its like right at your ears

treble is awesome, lots lots of sparks which i never heard, quiet bright when i listen to some of the usher's slow tracks. mariah carey lives right in your head !! the treble extension is crazy when i listen to alicia keys - fallin' . what amazes me the most is the golds are completely free of harshness and sibilance(like what joker said in his 113 IEM thread)

well so far im loving my turbine gold, i was kinda expecting more bass than my portieres in quantity.  unfortunately , the gold got similar or less bass than the Pietro, I'm not dis pointed at all. comparing m2 and the gold , i like them both, IMO the m2 sound clearer then the gold, because I'm using the comply tips, Ive tried the comply tips on the m2 they sound like crap with the comply tips.  gold will really put a smile on your face when you llisten, its very relaxed just like the m2s, you can listen to them for hours you still not tired. overall i would be happier if they have just a lil bit more bass impact and quantity,  anyways this is my first impression on them with 3 hrs of burn in, i hope some one finds this helpfull

Users who are viewing this thread

Back