Should I get Extended Warranty?
Apr 10, 2010 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

rx7_fan

500+ Head-Fier
What sup Head-fiers,

I recently bought an Alienware PC; I was wondering if I should get extended warranty with it? What do you think?

Ooh, I also wanted to see if I can replace their power supply with a Cosair 850 W power supply, do you guys know if it's possible?

Thanks for all your help.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sup Head-fiers,

I recently bought an Alienware PC; I was wondering if I should get extended warranty with it? What do you think?

Ooh, I also wanted to see if I can replace their power supply with a Cosair 850 W power supply, do you guys know if it's possible?

Thanks for all your help.

First, extended warranties are one of the biggest rip-offs in a rip-off industry.

Second, NO MODS until the warranty expires, duh.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 24
Actuaries and so-called insurance companies live off warranty. Unless you tamper w/ your rig often and don't know what you're doing while doing so, I wouldn't do it.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 24
Why would you buy an alien ware and want to mod it right away? If you wanted to mod a PC, u should have just built your own.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 24
I would have bought an extended warrenty for a Hugo.....probably would have cost more than the car though

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have bought an extended warrenty for a Hugo.....probably would have cost more than the car though

I got you beat! I was in wal-mart who I hate, but needed a new toaster....I found one 12.95 + tax and the Lady at the check-out asked if I wanted the extended warrenty.......All I could do was start LAUGHING, she didn't see the humor in my reaction.........the YUGO was such a classic, I wonder if they ever made a Rag top!!

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you buy an alien ware and want to mod it right away? If you wanted to mod a PC, u should have just built your own.

Scott, I wanted a good base to start with, I don't want to start from scratch even though it will probably be cheaper to build on yourself. It's not fun for me to build PCs, it's more of a chore.

Thanks the rest of you for your comments. I'll probably save my money on the Extended Warranty, and get an SSD for the comp.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 24
I dunno, I've been eyeing a Dell 6510 laptop lately, and that $150 for 3 years of accidental damage coverage (for a $1400 laptop the way i want it configured) sounds like a reasonable policy . . .

Unfortunately I've also been eyeing a $1400 front-wheel-drive rear-steering tadpole recumbent tricycle. I hope to $diety i can resist buying at least one of these expensive toys.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 24
No, extended warranties are strictly a profit center.

Even if you do buy one, there's no guarantee that they'll actually cover you should you need it. Insurance companies are a complete screw job and they'll look for any reason to exclude you. So even if you do buy it, there's a fair chance that it won't cover what happens.

If a salesdrone ups the pressure, simply point out that the item already comes with a warranty. If the pressure continues, I pause for a second and tell them, 'are you saying that this is a defective product with lots of problems? I'm not so sure I should buy it.' That usually knocks them cold. As a last resort, tell them that you bought an extended warranty once before, your claim was denied, and you'll never buy another. Any of those three usually makes them back off.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scott, I wanted a good base to start with, I don't want to start from scratch even though it will probably be cheaper to build on yourself. It's not fun for me to build PCs, it's more of a chore.

Thanks the rest of you for your comments. I'll probably save my money on the Extended Warranty, and get an SSD for the comp.

Now that's the spirit!! UPGRADE!!! Ha Ha Ha. You might encounter problems with the insides of a alienware not being compatible with another sized psu. As I recall, their proprietary psu is pretty good, don't they use PC Power and Cooling?? Why replace that? Uh, it's kinda late here...

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #14 of 24
Call me tacky, but I love the way they look =P I'll open it and see what I can and can't replace... Damn Dell only posted outside pictures of it. Where's the thread with people showing off their computer. I wanna go see some cool examples of people doing stuff to their PC.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #15 of 24
Don't get the ext warranty. Should anything break in your computer a new part is easily ordered and installed... And as long as you like to looks of the Alienware, just be happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back