Should I get ATH-M50X, or ATH-M40X + FiiO E11K?
Dec 14, 2015 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Yaldabaoth

New Head-Fier
I only have about $200 to spend. 

M40X is $100 cheaper. Is the M50X enough of an improvement over the M40X to be worth $100 more? If I get the M50X I can't afford an amp right now.

Or am I better off getting the M40X and a FiiO E11K Kilimanjaro 2 amp with the money I save? 

I plan to use these with my phone and computer(no sound card). Is an amp necessary to fully enjoy these?

I have a feeling that the M40X + amp is a better deal, but I wanted to ask some people that are more experienced than me.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 25
Hi,

First post and hope it helps. Neither of them need an amp, both can get uncomfortably loud just on my laptop, though not so much my phone. But like many cans, can probably only benefit from using an amp too. I have the M40x and just today I compared them to my co-workers M50x. Personally I didn't notice the kind of tremendous difference in low end many speak of. The two cans have virtually the same electrical and construction characteristics, the single major difference being 40 vs 45mm driver sizes. And I found it entirely possible to make the M40x sound virtually identical by simply scooping a little more low mids to emphasize the sub bass, replicating the M50x less mid-forward tuning. In normal use I can EQ the M40x to head thumping levels of bass, it can take it with no problem.
Maybe this isn't the right way to look at it, but on the face of it I factor the cost difference not primarily to sound quality, but to the extra cable, and just more materials since the 50x is physically larger inside and out, and feels a little more 'plush' on the head. As many reviews state, they sound very similar - certainly not $100 worth of different.
You can't go wrong either way imho.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 25
The ATH-M50X's are among the best reviewed headphones by true experts. They and their predecessors (the ATH-M50's) are legendary in terms of fame, prestige, versatility, and popularity. There are musicians and audiophiles who swear by them over far costlier models. Some pros insist that the MX50's are at least 90% as good as anything else at any price, so the extra expenditure is probably not worth it. And they are Amazon's "#1 Best Seller" in headphones and also amongst their highest rated by consumers. I was a stereo/appliance salesman in my teens and early 20's. That experience taught me that price is often NOT an indication of sound quality. Remember the $12 Grado phono cartridge that had better definition than the $200 Audio Technica and Sonus models. And what about these ATH-M50X's, which actually sound better in some ways than my friend's $6,000 electrostatic setup; they have a deeper, more real-world bass and greater comfort. Of course, as you might expect for FIFTY TIMES THE PRICE, the electrostatics are a bit cleaner, a tad less distressed in the treble, slightly smoother in the mids, and marginally tighter in the bass. But the clarity and detail is remarkably close. Do not be fooled by the ATH-M50X's low price, as any professional musician who hears them will tell you that they are the real deal. I use them with an ancient 250W/ch Sansui power amp and separate preamp, which gives them Earth-shattering dynamic headroom and realism. I also own the Sennheiser HD800's (recently bought), Sony MDR Z7's, Grado PS1000's, Grado 325e's (I like these more than the PS1000's!), and several other models including the "lowly" Grado SR80's (which are true audiophile phones, contrary to haters' opinions.) But the ATH-M50's are my ultimate headphones of choice because of their unexpected transparency, definition, detail, frequency response, comfort, wear-abilty, outside noise blocking, and outright fun factor. They are just so practical and addictive that I cannot stop wearing them. They even fold so compactly. I must admit that in terms of prestige and accuracy, the Sennheiser HD800's rule the roost and I love showing them off, but behind closed doors I prefer the M50X's. The latter are also a great choice for my portable devices and even my lowly iMac 27" headphone jack (you would not believe how powerful they sound, thanks in part to their low impedance.) Keep in mind that these phones are only as good as the source material, so do not expect great sound from lousy amps, MP3's, recordings, etc. I can only laugh at the negative reviews from self-proclaimed experts who use pseudoscience or their biased opinions to evaluate these headphones. Do you actually want to enjoy music or measure everything by meaningless, nebulous, abstract numbers that fail to take into account many factors, such as each individual's hearing? 

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 25
Before the discussion gets out of hand: let's return to the OP's question.

The m50's are great if you want something sturdy with a lot of bass. To me that overpowers their other merits a bit: decent upper mids, polite highs. I have only heard the m40's once and very briefly. They sounded more neutral, but overall less capable.

EDIT: So I would advise to try out both of them if that is feasible. If not, think if you want big bass or not and decide accordingly.
In general I recommend getting the better headphone and upgrading to a better source later, because usually in this hobby you will want to upgrade later on anyway and that way you'd end up spending less money for the same combo.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 25
Again, each person's hearing is different, and test results can vary dramatically from one sample of the same model to the next (for various reasons) -- as well as be subjected to the inaccuracies of the unit measuring their frequency response. And I would hardly call the ATH M50X's bass "mud". You have been brainwashed into believing that price always dictates sound quality. Obviously, just by the nature of the designs, $119 headphones are probably less likely to adhere to an original recording's frequency response than $6,000 headphones (counting the required amp, etc.) That does not mean that the cheaper models cannot sound as almost as good overall or in some ways better. You are putting far too much emphasis on technicalities. A cheapie EQ can tone down the bass if you hate it so much. Actually, there is even free software that makes your PC or Mac an EQ. I am far more concerned about the overall sound than technicalities. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 25
  Again, each person's hearing is different, and test results can vary dramatically from one sample of the same model to the next (for various reasons) -- as well as be subjected to the inaccuracies of the unit measuring their frequency response. And I would hardly call the ATH M50X's bass "mud". You have been brainwashed into believing that price always dictates sound quality. Obviously, just by the nature of the designs, $119 headphones are probably less likely to adhere to an original recording's frequency response than $6,000 headphones (counting the required amp, etc.) That does not mean that the cheaper models cannot sound as almost as good overall or in some ways better. You are putting far too much emphasis on technicalities. A cheapie EQ can tone down the bass if you hate it so much. Actually, there is even free software that makes your PC or Mac an EQ. I am far more concerned about the overall sound than technicalities. 

I have most certainly not been brainwashed. I owned a STAX SR-30 that cost under $100 and utterly destroys the M50x in bass quality and pretty much everything else. For better context, I have also owned headphones in every price range under $1,000, and heard headphones that cost thousands. There are plenty of headphones under $100 that sound a heck of a lot better than the M50x. I even said that I like the M30x more. I do agree that EQ is a valuable resource that can improve the sound of any headphone. My statements concerning the M50x are only about the stock tuning, though, not its ultimate capabilities with EQ. I owned one M50x and borrowed another, and spent weeks listening to nothing but the M50x. It has far more bass than should ever be acceptable for an audiophile headphone. If the bass overpowering everything else doesn't interfere with the overall sound for you, perhaps you don't care about accurate sound, which, by the way, is perfectly fine. Just don't talk about the M50x being accurate, as I have conclusively disproved this claim.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 25
If you want a more accurate, neutral sound, get the M40X.  If you want bass over everything else, get the M50X.  I've heard both and I appreciate the M40X's more neutral sound signature more, but your typical listener prefers a bass heavy sound like the M50X (or even bassier).

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 25
  The M40x and M30x sound better to me than the M50x, mainly because the M50x has way too much bass. If you reduce the bass with EQ, the M50x might sound better. You do not need an amp, but it might sound better with one.

Do you have any SQ for the m50x to lower the bass and bring out the vocals. I mainly just use my Eq on my fiio x1

M40X is $100 cheaper. Is the M50X enough of an improvement over the M40X to be worth $100 more? If I get the M50X I can't afford an amp right now.

Or am I better off getting the M40X and a FiiO E11K Kilimanjaro 2 amp with the money I save? 

I plan to use these with my phone and computer(no sound card). Is an amp necessary to fully enjoy these?

I have a feeling that the M40X + amp is a better deal, but I wanted to ask some people that are more experienced than me.

I would advice you try and go for the m40x + amp. I just bought the m50x and i am kinda getting mixed feelings about them.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 25
  Do you have any SQ for the m50x to lower the bass and bring out the vocals. I mainly just use my Eq on my fiio x1

I'm assuming you meant EQ, not SQ.

I recommend experimenting with Equalizer APO with the Peace GUI on a computer, then using the parametric equalizer settings on any other device.

If you want to take things further and do EQ the serious way, follow these guides:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 25

get these and be done with it.....   http://amzn.to/1lKoYTB

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 25

I'm assuming you meant EQ, not SQ.

I recommend experimenting with Equalizer APO with the Peace GUI on a computer, then using the parametric equalizer settings on any other device.

If you want to take things further and do EQ the serious way, follow these guides:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

thanks i meant EQ it was a typeo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back