Should I get a portable amp?
Apr 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

New Head-Fier
I've just ordered the Westone 3 earbuds which should be here in a few days.  I'm new to this area but did some research on a variety of headphones.  Would you recommend a portable amp?   If so, which one?

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 11
An iPhone 4S.  I will use these headphones with my laptop as well.  How well does the FiiO E6 work?  Anything over $50 is out of my range for an amp.  Unless you would absolutely recommend going higher.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
An iPhone 4S.  I will use these headphones with my laptop as well.  How well does the FiiO E6 work?  Anything over $50 is out of my range for an amp.  Unless you would absolutely recommend going higher.

I don't have a Fiio E6 to be able to comment on it but there are some mixed reviews here- http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e6-headphone-amplifier/reviews  

The Iphone 4s isn't a bad source and should be able to drive your Westones to a reasonable level, I think I'd wait to find out how well they pair before ordering an amp.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 11
well a headphone amp is used for a few things. some of the lower level amps from say fiio are more or less just volume boosters.

when you get into the mid range amplifiers you get into improved sound quality. esp if you get a ipod/iphone line out dock. this will bypass the internal amplifier of the iphone and use the amplifier you have directly. otherwise if you use a mini to mini cable from your iphone to the amp. you are more or less just amplifying the apple amplifier.

a lod and amplifier will have a cleaner sound. the lod depending on what its made with ect can improve sound and then the amp itsself will improve the sound. 

should you get a amp. yes if you are serious about getting the best sound quality out of your westones. the iphone should be able to drive your westones pretty well. but you can get even better sound quality if you go with a good lod and amp setup. if the money isnt there right now i would wait.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
well a headphone amp is used for a few things. some of the lower level amps from say fiio are more or less just volume boosters.

when you get into the mid range amplifiers you get into improved sound quality. esp if you get a ipod/iphone line out dock. this will bypass the internal amplifier of the iphone and use the amplifier you have directly. otherwise if you use a mini to mini cable from your iphone to the amp. you are more or less just amplifying the apple amplifier.

a lod and amplifier will have a cleaner sound. the lod depending on what its made with ect can improve sound and then the amp itsself will improve the sound. 

should you get a amp. yes if you are serious about getting the best sound quality out of your westones. the iphone should be able to drive your westones pretty well. but you can get even better sound quality if you go with a good lod and amp setup. if the money isnt there right now i would wait.

Totally agree. Good sound quality costs quite a lot~~

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

+1... Good post!

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the response all.  I got my Westone 3's today and I'm not as impressed as I was hoping.  My $99 iBeats sound comparable, but they are an improvement.  I'm getting noise through my computer output.  Does anyone know how to help resolve this?  It's an onboard sound card  and I'm plugging directly into the motherboard.

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Your on board sound card probably isn't the greatest.  I found a cheap computer sound card upgrade was the Asus Xonar DG/DS, I bought one used on ebay for about $25.  I think for the money, and in your price range the Fiio E11 is a good amp for the money.  It will kind of introduce you into whether you want to get a more expensive portable amp or not.  There are a couple on the FS forum for around $50, totally worth it if you want to do a little experimenting, make sure you get a LOD cable, even the cheap Fiio LOD cable is good..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back