Should I get a headphone amp?
Jun 5, 2009 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

bba1973

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm Mark, and I'm new here.

Right now, I'm trying to upgrade my portable system, and need some advice. First of all, I've got a 120 GB Zune with about 105 GB of 192 WMA (not pro) music files on it. For earbuds (I need portability and I like earbuds/canal buds the best), I've got a pair of Sony MDR-EX55's, but I just ordered some Altec Lansing UHP336's off Amazon (for $35). The UHP336's should be here sometime between the 15th and the 19th (the week after next), so I can't comment on how they sound or how I like them (besides the price) just yet. I'm thinking about buying a headphone amp, but I'm not sure if I really need it just yet.

Let me tell you guys about my hearing. Right now, I'd consider it mid-fi. 192 WMA sounds at least 95% as good as lossless (IMO, of course) and CDs (that's why I have 105 GB of it), but anything lower than that doesn't sound very good to me. With my Sony MDR-EX55's, they were an upgrade from $10 Sony earbuds. That was when I made my move up to WMA lossless and then back down to 192 WMA because I wanted both quality and quantity. It's not true audiophile hearing, but it's better than most other college kids. If the UHP336's make a big difference (I'm hoping they will), I will definitely consider going back to WMA lossless. With my Zune, there's a bunch of stuff I just don't listen to, and I could certainly get rid of some stuff. I'll back up all my 192 WMA files first, and would probably still use them for lower quality stuff (rap, newer stuff that's still going to sound bad in lossless).

As for the upgrades, buying the UHP336's and spending ~$50 on a headphone amp are as much as I can do. I'm not buying another digital PMP (especially not an iPod), and I've got plenty of Discmen too. So with the above information in mind, here's my question: Once I get used to the UHP336's, would it be worth my while to invest ~$50 US in a portable headphone amp? I did some searches, and I think the PA2V2 and the Fiio E5 would be the best ones in my price range.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: I'm sorry. I should've put this in the Portable Headphone Amp section. Would a moderator mind moving it to the proper place? Thanks.

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 24
bba1973: protect your wallet. Don't buy an amp. You will only enjoy your music more and then start thinking about converting your rips to lossless and getting a decent DAC. Then it's upgrading your headphones. One step leads to another. You may even take up a musical instrument yourself and then where will you be? Think of your parents. Think of your education. Think of your future. Just leave it alone.

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

protect your wallet. Don't buy an amp. You will only enjoy your music more and then start thinking about converting your rips to lossless and getting a decent DAC. Then it's upgrading your headphones. One step leads to another.

I'm already upgrading to the UHP336's for earbuds. That's the best stuff I can afford now (they only set me back $35). Be honest with me, would $50 for the PA2V2 really be that bad of an investment for me (after I get the UHP336's)? Switching to lossless would take some time out of my schedule, but I can definitely afford it (since I've got a crapload of good CDs and FLAC files). Would I really need a DAC for my Zune? I'm talking about portable stuff. I accidentally put it in the wrong subforum, a noob mistake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by royewest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may even take up a musical instrument yourself and then where will you be?

I've played bass since 2003 and guitar since 2004. Back in April, I managed to make my first EP, and if I get off my lazy butt I'll be working on my first LP.

Quote:

Think of your education.

Just one more year of college...

Quote:

and if you can't just walk away, and that itch becomes a scratch....well

I'm not at that stage just yet. Besides, the closest thing to an audio dealer in my town is Best Buy... Most of my money spent on audio stuff has been on used CDs (audiophile preffered stuff).

Thanks for the insight guys. I'm a broke college kid, but I can still allow for a $50 headphone amp in my budget. Right now, I'm not very good with a soldering iron, so I won't be making my own.

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 24
I'm sort of in the same boat as you =P (college student with 2 years left though, and pretty much broke)

I'm a college student as well. I've seriously considered getting a dac and amp along with new headphones for the future. Yeah, once I've listened to headphones after always using earphones, I havent really been able to turn back. The only time I tend to listen to earphones now is either at a gym or somewhere where I can't really afford to bring such nice headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and if you can't just walk away, and that itch becomes a scratch....well

Yeah, for me, that itch has become a scratch
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 24
You don't need an amp for all but a very few IEMs, and those IEMs are the cost of 2 iPods.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 24
Should I get the Ultimate Ears upgrade cable for my UHP336's? They haven't come in yet, but I've heard it might make them sound better. Has anyone tried this? Can anyone tell the difference?

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 24
You'd be better off putting amp and especially cable money towards better headphones. Some of us don't hear any difference between cables, even with much more expensive gear.

Amps can help, so why don't you try a CMoy? They're about $20 in parts and they've been exhaustively documented. You can build one and get it working. From there, you can make more interesting gear while saving huge amounts of money.

Since you play bass and guitar, you could eventually build the tube amps you dream about. It's not that difficult.

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by royewest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bba1973: protect your wallet. Don't buy an amp. You will only enjoy your music more and then start thinking about converting your rips to lossless and getting a decent DAC. Then it's upgrading your headphones. One step leads to another. You may even take up a musical instrument yourself and then where will you be? Think of your parents. Think of your education. Think of your future. Just leave it alone.

hahaha this
biggrin.gif

I have to agree - it definitely is a case of "one thing leads to another" and you start getting engulfed with it
wink.gif

Still - I can't necessary say it was a completely bad choice. I now know what music is supposed to sound like
k701smile.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 24
Yes, go out and buy the PA2v2. Nothing to lose, only around $60. Or buy or go build a Cmoy. Do it and learn, no big deal. It's less than $100 for a fun hobby. Have fun brotha.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd be better off putting amp and especially cable money towards better headphones. Some of us don't hear any difference between cables, even with much more expensive gear.

The only way I'm going to get better headphones than the UHP336's is to spend at least $200 or $300. That's not happening anytime soon, and I don't think I can justify a purchase like that while my ears still aren't those of an audiophile.

Quote:

Amps can help, so why don't you try a CMoy? They're about $20 in parts and they've been exhaustively documented. You can build one and get it working. From there, you can make more interesting gear while saving huge amounts of money.

As I posted earlier, I don't know my way around a soldering iron just yet. That would be a great opportunity for me to learn though, but I still wouldn't know how I can make it sound better than something premade. Why make one for ~$25 when I can buy one with a proven reputation and help Gary stay in business?

Quote:

Yes, go out and buy the PA2v2. Nothing to lose, only around $60. Or buy or go build a Cmoy. Do it and learn, no big deal. It's less than $100 for a fun hobby. Have fun brotha.

Maybe I should just buy the PA2V2, listen to it for a while so I know how it affects the sound, and then try to make my own amp that's better? By not knowing how good a headphone amp can be, why should I put my time, effort, and money in an inferior amp?

Quote:

Since you play bass and guitar, you could eventually build the tube amps you dream about. It's not that difficult.

I've already got the tube amp of my dreams. It's an old Peavy Classic, switchable between 100W and 200W, made in USA, 4 10's with built in head, and it only cost me $40. Sounds nice and warm, and it still works pretty well. A tube-driven bass amp might be something I could try to make one day.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just do it brotha!

That's what I was planning on doing, but I just wanted to make sure the PA2V2 is a good amp. Looks like it is, and it looks like I'll be buying one this month or next month.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 24
Yeah I have a guitar tube amp as well. It's a DIY amp design in the style of a 1960's Marshall amp. (No I didn't build it). It uses the EL84, 12 AX7 and EZ81 tube and Heyboer transformers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back