Should I exchange these speakers or not? Need some advice.
Jan 3, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuurajou
I'll see what I can do, I think I can live with a few wires here and there; maybe a few speaker stands randomly dotted in the room - if it sounds good enough
smily_headphones1.gif

If your room is small it might be wort you buying the 601's instead of the 602's. The 602's can pump out a lot of bass, and in your room that would be too much. Most B&W's come with foam bungs to place in the ports if the bass is too much for you. If I remember my old 602's they were front ported design so they could in theory could be placed 6-12 inches from the wall and still sound decent.

Jan 3, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
If your room is small it might be wort you buying the 601's instead of the 602's. The 602's can pump out a lot of bass, and in your room that would be too much. Most B&W's come with foam bungs to place in the ports if the bass is too much for you. If I remember my old 602's they were front ported design so they could in theory could be placed 6-12 inches from the wall and still sound decent.

I'm all for bass, just not when it drowns everything else and sounds inflated. Which I suppose is what it ends up being in my case. I'll look into the 601's, but the 602's do seem to be very popular, if I could get them I'd invest in some speaker stands etc to make sure they were in as an ideal listening conditions as I can provide.

Jan 3, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #33 of 42
Agree with what Redwings said. Imo Monitor Audio (generalisation) would give better more round vocals than B&W (again based on old model comparison), while Diamonds sound more or less like B&W but generally priced much lower.

I strongly suggest that you audition those models instead of taking opinions, as sound of speakers vary wildly even between good or high end models, given similiar specs say 40-22khz +/- 3db. It would be much safer to proceed based on cdps or amps opinions.

Jan 3, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

I'm all for bass, just not when it drowns everything else and sounds inflated. Which I suppose is what it ends up being in my case. I'll look into the 601's, but the 602's do seem to be very popular, if I could get them I'd invest in some speaker stands etc to make sure they were in as an ideal listening conditions as I can provide.

There is some 601's+stands going on ebay UK. Check it out.

P.s do you wanna do a mini meet?

Jan 3, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

I'll look into the 601's, but the 602's do seem to be very popular

One of my biggest mistake (way pre-internet-forum days) was getting bose am7 when I was in the US ... a highly popular model over there at that moment. No further comment on this mistake. =)

Second biggest ? B&W P6, also based on brand popularity. While all the same time cheaper, and definitely more neutral more everything, Vandersteen 2c was available although not as popular. I did audition both AM7 and P6 but didn't actually compare them with other speakers (bose reps will try real hard not to let other speakers creep inside their demo room).

So, if possible, compare those three systems at the same time.

Jan 3, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #36 of 42
My advice is to get friendly with a good dealer(spending £1000's there helps!).Any good dealer worth his salt will not only let you but positively encourage you to turn up with your pre/pwer amps/source/cd's/cables and leave you supplied with coffe in the demo room trying the latest offerings - a happy punter is a return punter
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #37 of 42
Well, after must deliberation, I settled on the Bronze B2's. I really didn't like the wharfdales.

The B&W 601's were nice in the demo room, but I felt that the bass would have gone wild in my room. I think I found a happy neutral medium with the B2's, which are now nicely burning in the back of my room
smily_headphones1.gif

I appreciate all the help guys! Let's hope that I stay happy with these
wink.gif

What's this about a mini-meet GoRedwings, aren't you in Michigan USA?
smily_headphones1.gif

PS> I did try to add you to MSN Oink as you're in Bristol too.

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #38 of 42
I would just like to comment:

I think that very frew speakers for under 500 dollars are considered very good in my eyes. The B&W monitors and the Monitor Audio's, and the new PSB B25 (especially those!! AMAZING speakers for the price - they sounded just the same as my PSB 4T floorstanders - JUST AMAZING - seriously!). However, I still consider it a stretch.

What I have learned (the hard way), is that you should spend any "speaker money" on monoblock amplifiers and a preamp (or use an existing headphone amp as a preamp - this can be done with any headphone amp). This is because... well... five hundred dollars speakers are ... uhhh... five hundred dollar speakers. They don't have good investment value until you reach above $600 IMO.

And I am on a very tight college budget. I just kept money aside each month, and when I was able to pull together 800 bucks, I got myself a pair of Ohm P1 speakers. I was VERY satisfied with a pair of handmedown Ohm Series B speakers that I gave them a go. They custom design each speaker for your specific room accoustics (I swear these people will make the worst rooms sound great!) and they give you 120 days to try it out. I really didn't have much to lose.

So, I went for it and I ended up being extremely satisfied. I paid 785 for them (including shipping) and I know that I can now carry these speakers with me for a very good portion of my life, including, but not limited to, the rest of my college (undergrad and graduate) education. Now I have an excellent pair of Antique Sound Labs monoblock amps and a REALLY good pair of speakers. It just took my longer.

Moral of the story is to just be patient, and you can get much better values on everything. Even if you are making minimum wage and studying intense courses at MIT and soon to be NYU like I am, I guarantee you that if you wait for a decent pair of speakers, it can make a worlds' difference.

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Well, after must deliberation, I settled on the Bronze B2's. I really didn't like the wharfdales.

The B&W 601's were nice in the demo room, but I felt that the bass would have gone wild in my room. I think I found a happy neutral medium with the B2's, which are now nicely burning in the back of my room
smily_headphones1.gif

I appreciate all the help guys! Let's hope that I stay happy with these
wink.gif

What's this about a mini-meet GoRedwings, aren't you in Michigan USA?
smily_headphones1.gif

Try Cardiff, South Wales....Although I wish I were in Michigan!!!!!!
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #40 of 42
Thanks for the comment Amen, you have much more patients than I do. I've been eager to do this for a long time after investing into my headphones, but, from now on, I'll take alot of time before upgrading components.

Although, my story of woe has gone on, and now I'm looking for a decent DVD player source (but one that's good with CD's
wink.gif
).

You can follow my story of woe in this thread here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99857

We'll have to hook up sometime GoRedwing, maybe Oink and join us too. A tiny head-fi all of our own lol. Sorry about the location confusion, your location in your profile confused me
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

You're on my list mate!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

We'll have to hook up sometime GoRedwing, maybe Oink and join us too. A tiny head-fi all of our own lol. Sorry about the location confusion, your location in your profile confused me .

Me too - A mini meet sounds good though!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Thanks for the comment Amen, you have much more patients than I do. I've been eager to do this for a long time after investing into my headphones, but, from now on, I'll take alot of time before upgrading components.

Although, my story of woe has gone on, and now I'm looking for a decent DVD player source (but one that's good with CD's
wink.gif
).

You can follow my story of woe in this thread here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99857

We'll have to hook up sometime GoRedwing, maybe Oink and join us too. A tiny head-fi all of our own lol. Sorry about the location confusion, your location in your profile confused me
tongue.gif

Try the denon 2900 or the new 2910. The best thing is they can be sent off to be upgraded for cd playback. And they provide excellent picture quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back