Should I exchange these speakers or not? Need some advice.
Jan 1, 2005 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

shuurajou

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in a bit of a sticky situation here. I recently bought a new Denon AVR-1905 amp and some Mission V61 speakers (I got these for £150 but they seem to retail at around £300).

At the moment, the feeling that I'm getting from these speakers is that unless they are bi-wired the bass seems to control everything, which is fair enough, as some of that seems to dissapear when you get them bi-wired (which I have done). But it seems that even with bi-wiring, that's only punched the treble up a bit, and the mids still seem non-existant. I don't know if I've configured these speakers wrong, and I've tried looking on the net but I can't find any info on these speakers apart from people that are selling them.

So, I may be taking these speakers back to the store that I purchased them from tomorrow because of my currently feelings for them. Now, there is another store which stocks the Monitor Audio Bronze B2's, which I hear good things about. Now these cost approx £200.

My decision right now, is to dump the Mission V61's and never get them at that rediculous price again (or is that the kinda price you should pay for these?), and go for the Monitor Audio's.

I'm concerned because I'm thinking that maybe the Mission V61's (being a supposedly 300 pound speaker), are going to be better than any £200 speaker I can afford.

I hope you can see my problem, I appreciate any advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
How About B&W 602's. If you can find them used on ebay UK even better!!!!

There seems to be a few variations of this speaker? Any idea which specific model? The 602's seem £300 though
frown.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuurajou
There seems to be a few variations of this speaker? Any idea which specific model? The 602's seem £300 though
frown.gif

Years ago I used to own the B&W 602 s2 before upgrading to Dynaudio 1.3 mk 2. So I would go for any model s2 onwards, The 602's are a good series. Look on Ebay UK under B&W.

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 42
yes, definitely B&W DM60x speakers!
The newest is s3, so might as well get them.

I think the problem lies on your amp, the Denon is not the best at doing two channel music amplifying.

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unclewai
yes, definitely B&W DM60x speakers!
The newest is s3, so might as well get them.

I think the problem lies on your amp, the Denon is not the best at doing two channel music amplifying.

I've heard my amp on other speakers at the store and didn't really have this problem. The Denon outperformed other amps I heard that day on stereo. Better than a yamaha and a pioneer I heard on that day. Was much smoother. I also compaired it to hi-fi amps in the same price range, which was rather shocking as there was very minimal difference, not really positive or negative, just slightly different.

B&W DM602 S3 sounds nice and everything, but again it comes down to availability for me. I am after a neutral sound, which I suppose is what most of us are after. I have a feeling B&W DM602 S3 may be out of my price range.

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 42
Surround receivers really don't do a good job at doing 2 ch music.
I have the less powerful denon receiver avr-1603, but my cheapy (pricewise) Pioneer Elite A-35R trumps the denon when it comes to music.
The a-35r can make any speakers sound decent and decent speakers to sound great.

I am using the dm601 s3 myself, other than the bass being not too impactful, they are very great speakers. Are you using the speakers for small room listening? If so, the DM601 should be a great option.
Buy them used, save a lot of money. I got my pair $305USD shipped.

Jan 1, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unclewai
Surround receivers really don't do a good job at doing 2 ch music.
I have the less powerful denon receiver avr-1603, but my cheapy (pricewise) Pioneer Elite A-35R trumps the denon when it comes to music.
The a-35r can make any speakers sound decent and decent speakers to sound great.

I am using the dm601 s3 myself, other than the bass being not too impactful, they are very great speakers. Are you using the speakers for small room listening? If so, the DM601 should be a great option.
Buy them used, save a lot of money. I got my pair $305USD shipped.

Funny thing is, in a shop he had a few hi-fi amps and av amps, and I was querying the comparible sound quality between the two different types. The gentleman that served me let me see for myself. Switching them around, not telling me which amp was being used, and making me tell him. There wasn't really anything in it and they were both £300 pound amps, one from marantz one from pioneer and another from denon. Although there was a slightly different sound, the av amps took up well against the hifi amps - at least on that occasion.

But yes, this is indeed a very small room. The main reason I wen't for the AV amp is I will most likely be expanding for a small cinema in my room
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a few pics to give you an idea (excuse the clutter).

bedroom1.jpg

bedroom2.jpg

Jan 1, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 42
Whoa! - move them out from the wall and get 'em off those dreadfull cabinets (dreadfull in a not a good place to put speakers way
tongue.gif
) No wonder the bass seems to be dominating the sound... Get youe a55 to Richer Sounds or Radford Hi-Fi and pick up some decent speaker stands - Target or suchlike - You know you wanna!
biggrin.gif

*edit* Also what speaker cable are you using? - Tell me it's AT LEAST QED79 strand,not the good old bell wire!

*edit2* Is that a Lian Li in the pic?
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 42
I know B&W is a highly regarded brand and it gives excellent value for entry models and remarkable performance for high end stuff. However I was utterly disappointed with my P6 namely because of a deep hole in the midrange ! Violin and vocals went south when compared to Rogers and MA at similar or lesser price that I used at that time. Even a US', almost midless, Near sound more 'right'. Regarding Bronze B2, I feel that midrange is MA's strong point - but they could be more difficult to drive. Sorry, so far haven't tried Mission yet. Like evertything else, you'd better audition them yourself and don't worry too much about price difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Years ago I used to own the B&W 602 s2 before upgrading to Dynaudio 1.3 mk 2.

Now Dyn has a midrange to die for ... btw in what area did you feel that dyn gave significant improvement over 602 - bass or mids ?

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Whoa! - move them out from the wall and get 'em off those dreadfull cabinets (dreadfull in a not a good place to put speakers way
tongue.gif
) No wonder the bass seems to be dominating the sound... Get youe a55 to Richer Sounds or Radford Hi-Fi and pick up some decent speaker stands - Target or suchlike - You know you wanna!
biggrin.gif

*edit* Also what speaker cable are you using? - Tell me it's AT LEAST QED79 strand,not the good old bell wire!

*edit2* Is that a Lian Li in the pic?
biggrin.gif

My problem is though I'm kind of short of space as you can tell. I can handle getting some stands, but it's going to be difficult for me to get them away from the wall, because there isn't really anywhere else I can put the buggers.

The wire I'm using is some wire from richer audio, god knows what it is
confused.gif
. It's like silvery stuff.

Yes, that is a Lian Li case
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

tongue.gif
) No wonder the bass seems to be dominating the sound...

Oops, didn't see any pics when I started replying. I agree, get them off the wall if there's a ducted port and is located on the back side.

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Oops, didn't see any pics when I started replying. I agree, get them off the wall if there's a ducted port and is located on the back side.

Yeah, I did notice that, but didn't have much of a choice with placement at the time. My concern right now, is that even after playing with them tomorrow, should I get an exchange for something else? God knows what it'll be though.

I appreciate everyone's feedback on my little problem.

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 42
Try it - move the cabinets temporarily and put 'em on the floor at least a foot from the rear wall (bear in mind you'll have to listen laying on the floor or something to get you ears somewhere near the optimum listening position!)

*EDIT* - As far as exchanging them (good luck on new years day!
tongue.gif
) if you put your new ones in the same place you'll be back at square 1 as far as the bass dominance is concerned mate...

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Try it - move the cabinets temporarily and put 'em on the floor at least a foot from the rear wall (bear in mind you'll have to listen laying on the floor or something to get you ears somewhere near the optimum listening position!)

I'll try that later in the morning, as it's 6am here right now, neighbors won't appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back