Should I exchange these speakers or not? Need some advice.
Jan 1, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuurajou
I'll try that later in the morning, as it's 6am here right now, neighbors won't appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jesus! - didn't realise it was that late
eek.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Jesus! - didn't realise it was that late
eek.gif

Lol, good to know I'm not the only guy in the UK who doesn't know when to call it a night
wink.gif

Anywho, my plan right now is to pull the speakers off the wall tomorrow and see how they sound - they might be completely different. My main problem right now is they lack midrange - this could be due to the wall humping though.

If it doesn't improve, I'll nip down to paul roberts hi-fi to see what I can do with an exchange, but I think they seem to not stock monitor audio speakers. I think then, I'll go to Radfords hifi (aka, the money pit) to see what they have, as they seemed to know more of what I wanted in there and offer nicer kit.

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

but it's going to be difficult for me to get them away from the wall, because there isn't really anywhere else I can put the buggers.

In this case what you hear on dem room may sound different with your placement. If your mission has a duct port located in back, bass will overpower the sound balance. Try to close or plug that port tight and see if you like the difference.

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
In this case what you hear on dem room may sound different with your placement. If your mission has a duct port located in back, bass will overpower the sound balance. Try to close or plug that port tight and see if you like the difference.

I'll see what I can do, I think I can live with a few wires here and there; maybe a few speaker stands randomly dotted in the room - if it sounds good enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #20 of 42
Just checked and they do have 'anti-turbulence rear mounted port'. =) Is there any port plug supplied with the speakers ? Give it a try as closed port will change sound quite a bit and who knows you might be able to get away with no stands and keep current placement.

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Just checked and they do have 'anti-turbulence rear mounted port'. =) Is there any port plug supplied with the speakers ? Give it a try as closed port will change sound quite a bit and who knows you might be able to get away with no stands and keep current placement.

Unfortunately there's no plugs supplied with them. But kind of, isn't a wall behind them having the same effect?
icon10.gif
. I dunno, this is so different than headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #22 of 42
Quite the opposite, a tight closed port mean damped bass while wall reflection reinforces bass. Yes, lack of room interaction make phones a much more friendlier world. =) In some cases speaker placement + room dimension play very significant part on how speakers will sound.

Jan 1, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Quite the opposite, a tight closed port mean damped bass while wall reflection reinforces bass. Yes, lack of room interaction make phones a much more friendlier world. =) In some cases speaker placement + room dimension play very significant part on how speakers will sound.

Well, my almighty Sharp MD-X5 used to rock this room!

sharp_md-x5.gif

600smile.gif

I appreciate every bit of help & time you and everybody else put into this thread. It's much appreciated. I hope the outcome of all this is worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
wondering this for myself too. In the case of a rear port, would it be possible to use some acoustic absorbing material on the wall and have the speaker about 6-12 inches away?

I would think depends on individual speakers. I used to own the Paradigm Mini-Monitor, which is rear-ported, and it was booming big time even with 12 inches (or more) away from the back wall. Which is one reason why my current speaker is front-ported.

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #26 of 42
Well, I did try pulling the speakers off the wall a bit, which was a very small improvement. But, then I found an option to set distance from listening position. It was set to 3.6m. Which, I'm more around 2m away from the speakers. So, I reset the settings appropriately and WOW, alot different than before. I'm still in a testing listening phase but it seems to be mucho improvement right now.

Jan 1, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #27 of 42
Ugh, I was thinking of regular amp. Not sure about various settings for AVR but there are plenty of selections ... glad you can find one that works !

Jan 1, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Well, I did try pulling the speakers off the wall a bit, which was a very small improvement. But, then I found an option to set distance from listening position. It was set to 3.6m. Which, I'm more around 2m away from the speakers. So, I reset the settings appropriately and WOW, alot different than before. I'm still in a testing listening phase but it seems to be mucho improvement right now.

They're sounding better then? - going to keep them?

Jan 3, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #29 of 42
Although they've improved alot, I still don't know if I'm going to keep them. I'll give them a final listening tomorrow morning, then make my decision.

Jan 3, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #30 of 42
Ok, this is the low down at the moment.

I'm going to give them a bit more of a detailed listen tomorrow, to see how I feel. In the mean time, here's a list of speakers that I've put together on some I'm considering getting instead (if I can).

It would be great to hear on anybodys opinions on these speakers, or any alternatives that are within the same price range.

A few models of speakers I'm currently looking at instead of the V61's are:

B&W DM602 S3's
Monitor Audio Bronze B2's
Wharfdale Diamond 9.1's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back