Should I exchange my GR07?
Jun 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ben23

New Head-Fier
hi.
I currently own the Vsonic GR07. They are great, but I am not fully satisfied. 
First of all, their seal is too good. When I use them, I can barely hear when somebody calls me. I can walk in the street using them and not hear the traffic at all, which is kind of dangerous.
Second, I listen mostly to EDM (house, dance, trance) , and I feel something is missing. Maybe it's the low-mid bass, or they are too neutral for this kind of music. I have tried some rock and instrumental music and they sounded just phenomenal, but I don't listen to these genres so much.
So I was thinking about trading them for another pair. I am currently interested in the ATH-M50s as they are more suitable for the genres I listen to, AFAIK.
Are they?
Also what about their seal, Will I be able to hear some ambient noise, at least some so I can know when someone is calling me?

Thanks a lot.

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 5
The ath-m50s don't isolate quite as much as good IEMs, but they're still closed back cans. When the music is playing, unless the person is within 2' of you and talking loudly/yelling, i wouldn't count on being able to hear them.
Depending on your tastes, they may or may not be bassy enough for you.
It sounds like you're missing the low end, sub bass and impact from trance (at least that's what i enjoy in trance).
To the best of my knowledge, good bass response and very low isolation don't go all that well together in IEMs.

You might want to consider some open back portables for walking around. Perhaps the sennheiser px100 II. They sound good, but are open backed so traffic and such can be heard through them. Sound quality wise though, they're probably not on the same level as your GR07. 

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey ben23. Look into the Audio Technica CKM500. It's on a similar sound level as the GR07 but with a lot more mid-bass (not enough to make it muddy), and it's about half the price even after EMS shipping.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search3.html?q=ckm500&media=&r=any&step=20&order=score

They look damn good too.

The isolation isn't so much that you won't be able to hear the traffic.

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 5
fiio e11 amp with three stage bass boost will fix your worries lol
Tried equalizing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back