Should I Buy New or Used Headphones/Amp
Aug 5, 2010 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

KeVan

New Head-Fier
These will be my first ever audiophile-grade headphones, AKG K701/2. And I am wonder should I buy used AKG K701 for $225 or new AKG K702 for $475. Amazon does not ship to Canada, so the only local dealer sells the K702 for $475. I've never bought a used item in my life and used headphones don't sound so appealing. Dandruffs, oily, greasy earpads and what not. I also want to experience the 'burning in' process but as a student I am somewhat strapped for cash. Please help and thanks.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 16
Buy used. If you feel it necessary you can buy new pads for it. Most people on headfi keep the cans in good shape including the pads. Ive brought mine to many meets and they never were oily or nasty afterwards and I havent seen a pair at meets that I didnt want to [listen to because of the pads. The burn in process is overrated and it isnt worth the extra money just to experience. Also if you buy used you can turn around and sell them without losing any money if you decide you dont like them.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
I also want to experience the 'burning in' process
Burning process? you mean to tel me you never heard the "pop" sound 

Burning process? you mean to tel me you never heard the "pop" sound like in "pop" corn

On topic,

Since you're a student give yourself a favor and buy used ones, there a good sellers that sell minty fresh headphones on the forum with very economical prices

you're still young and time will come, just pray that the solar burst thingie on 2013 doesn't come upon us

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 16
Used with its original box is a good sign care has been taken. I give my vintage cans a good clean with kitchen surface wipes before I use them.

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 16
Definitely go for the used K701 deal, or even pick up a used K702.
Clean them up properly and even replace the earpads if you feel to. Will still save you a nice sum of money.

Aug 6, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 16
I say used.  Just make sure you check out pictures 
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 16
Both my ATH-A900 and my HD650 were purchased used.  I spent a lot of time reading through the forums here for impressions and suggestions before I purchased the A900 as my first decent set of headphones.  It was a lightly used item that I found on ebay, and it was at a very low buyout price, despite it being sold by someone from Japan. 

Main things when buying used is to look for sellers with good feedback, who post thorough descriptions, and are willing to provide pictures, including close ups if they mention possible defects. 

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 16
Always buy used.  Don't worry about someone else having used it.  When you go to meets, you use dozens or hundreds of headphones that lots of others have used.  If you take your own headphones, then they'll be on a lot of heads, too.  I've done this a few times now and haven't had any problems.  I just clean the pads with alcohol.

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Always buy used.  Don't worry about someone else having used it.  When you go to meets, you use dozens or hundreds of headphones that lots of others have used.  If you take your own headphones, then they'll be on a lot of heads, too.  I've done this a few times now and haven't had any problems.  I just clean the pads with alcohol.

I would agree with this for the most part, except in the case of items that have been used by a heavy smoker.  It really is hard to get rid of the smell of smoke in some items. 

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 16
Buying used is the way to go. We are all kindred spirits linked together by expelled ear wax :p

That being said, my speakers, K-1000, GS-1000 were all new when I purchased them. Only my HP-2s were used. 

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 16
Well thanks for all the help guys. I have to say this forum is the one who made me buy used haha, and I am thankful for it. I've saved myself $275. The seller was nice enough to drop the price to $200.

The headphones sound great but the only tiny bit of problem are the headbands. Those dam bumps hurt my head after 2 hours or so lol. I was pretty scared about the static I was hearing when I got home, I was like What!!! but then I noticed it was cause of my equalizer. Phew.

I guess what's next is a used amp. Anybody want to recommend me an amp they see for sale? Thanks!

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 16
The K702 is an uncomfortable headphone. You might want to buy a pad to stick underneath. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back