Should I buy DDM2, JVC FX700, IE 8 or Westone3?
May 11, 2012 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dha6892

New Head-Fier
I've just lost my DDM1 during a trip recently and I'm thinking about upgrading. On the overall I enjoyed my DDM. However, the fit was terrible and so does isolation. The build was flimsy and the cable was very thin. I broke my first pair of DDM once (I suspected that it was due to cable failure) and had to return it for a replacement. While the music played on DDM1 was very musical and enjoyable, I found it still lacking something. I would prefer a more realistic presentation and a little more controlled bass. Rock music being played on the DDM sounds a little soft. While the bass was very prominent, I still found it lack of the 'aggressiveness'. DDM's weird soundstaging also isn't suited for rock music. Electronic music also meets some same problems. However, the DDM did very well in ambient, atmospheric music.

I'm thinking about chosing between DDM2, JVC FX700. IE 8 or Westone 3.

Since I enjoyed the DDM1, the DDM2 would be a safe bet since many say it is the DDM1 with better fit and more controlled bass. However, I suspect its presentation is not as realistic as other IEMs and the 'aggressiveness' of music will still be lost.
The Westone 3 seems to have a reputation of being 'dry' but I am not very sure about this.
The IE 8 seems like a good choice but I am reluctant to buy it due to the prevalence of fake products.
I've read many positive reviews about JVC FX700 and it seems like the best of all but I can't find a place with reasonable price. I looked at Seyo shop but the shop is temporary unavailable. I have also read that some people buy JVC FX700 from Amazon Japan through Tenso forwarding service. Musicaacaustic also sells this IEM but the price is quite high. I can get JVC FX700 for around 280 CAD from Tenso but I'm not sure whether there is a warranty.

Can anyone tell me whether I can get a warranty for JVC FX700 if I buy through Tenso from Amazon Japan? And what is the price for the FX700 at Seyo Shop?

Can you please advise me which IEM should I get?

I listen to rock, electronic,indie, industrial, synth pop, etc. Bands like Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, Rammstein, The Prodigy, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice In Chains, Radio Head, etc

May 11, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 5
Foreword: I won't make a hard reccomendation because I haven't heard the IEM's you've listed.

However, I've heard that in terms of the FX700, the FXT90 (which I DO own) is a much more accessible/cheaper IEM that has been said to retain about 90% of the fx700's sound, composed of controlled/non-overpowering bass, forward mids (sounds WONDERFUL on electric guitar) and a sparkly treble. It's a very musical/fun IEM, and it's extremely great at rockin' out. 

If it'll please you, visit the appreciation thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563722/jvc-ha-fxt90-appreciation-thread-user-info-buying-guide-reviews-on-page-1

The third post down, there are links to comparisons which include comparisons to the DDM and the FX700 (as well as the GR07, if you were curious).

I apologize for not being able to speak on behalf of the ones you've listed, but I saw that the fx700 was a bit of a pain for you to get, so I wanted you to at least be aware of a (very) competent alternative.

May 11, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I've just lost my DDM1 during a trip recently and I'm thinking about upgrading. On the overall I enjoyed my DDM. However, the fit was terrible and so does isolation. The build was flimsy and the cable was very thin. I broke my first pair of DDM once (I suspected that it was due to cable failure) and had to return it for a replacement. While the music played on DDM1 was very musical and enjoyable, I found it still lacking something. I would prefer a more realistic presentation and a little more controlled bass. Rock music being played on the DDM sounds a little soft. While the bass was very prominent, I still found it lack of the 'aggressiveness'. DDM's weird soundstaging also isn't suited for rock music. Electronic music also meets some same problems. However, the DDM did very well in ambient, atmospheric music.

I'm thinking about chosing between DDM2, JVC FX700. IE 8 or Westone 3.

Since I enjoyed the DDM1, the DDM2 would be a safe bet since many say it is the DDM1 with better fit and more controlled bass. However, I suspect its presentation is not as realistic as other IEMs and the 'aggressiveness' of music will still be lost.
The Westone 3 seems to have a reputation of being 'dry' but I am not very sure about this.
The IE 8 seems like a good choice but I am reluctant to buy it due to the prevalence of fake products.
I've read many positive reviews about JVC FX700 and it seems like the best of all but I can't find a place with reasonable price. I looked at Seyo shop but the shop is temporary unavailable. I have also read that some people buy JVC FX700 from Amazon Japan through Tenso forwarding service. Musicaacaustic also sells this IEM but the price is quite high. I can get JVC FX700 for around 280 CAD from Tenso but I'm not sure whether there is a warranty.

Can anyone tell me whether I can get a warranty for JVC FX700 if I buy through Tenso from Amazon Japan? And what is the price for the FX700 at Seyo Shop?

Can you please advise me which IEM should I get?

I listen to rock, electronic,indie, industrial, synth pop, etc. Bands like Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, Rammstein, The Prodigy, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice In Chains, Radio Head, etc

The Westone 3 and FX700 are both similar in a way. But I felt the FX700 has better overall clarity and a less recess/laid-back mids. The IE80 is more to the dark side than the FX700 and W3 and the highs aren't harsh like the other two. I would think all are very good for the genres you listed. I have never heard any of the DDMs however. And I thought you can't get the FX700 from Amazon Japan if you're outside Japan?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back