Should I buy a LOD or UE Tripple Fi?
Dec 27, 2008 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Young Spade

Headphoneus Supremus
I have UE Super Fi. 5 v2s right now and 150 bucks. I am going to be using an iPod Touch and 4G Nano as my sources with a iBasso T4 amp.

I have a cheap LOD that i can't really use outside of home because it doesn't bend as well, but I was wondering if I should save up for new IEMs or get a 135$ LOD cable from ALO audio.

The link is....
ALO Audio

I am leaning toward the LOD because I just got the Super Fi. and 400 bucks for some IEMs is kinda steep but... yea, what should I do?

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones make the biggest difference in the way your rig sounds.

Definitely.

And the different between the super.fi and the triple.fi is surprisingly big. I really liked the super.fi but wasn't amazed by them, but the triple.fi's absolutely blew me away.

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely.

And the different between the super.fi and the triple.fi is surprisingly big. I really liked the super.fi but wasn't amazed by them, but the triple.fi's absolutely blew me away.

yeah i feel the same about that upgrade. after 6 months with the triples, i often still just get a grin on my face when i listen to some tracks that make me think 'hot damn i cant believe that lil IEM is sounding this frickin good'

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 33
I have an lod that I would be willing to trade for a few cd's. It is a qables silver cable or I have an ALO bling bling.

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 33
Definitely go for the triple-fi's....this is one pair of phones that sounds very nice right out of an iPod...seriously, get a friend to help you with some blind tests and I'll bet you'll be willing to sell your amp to recoupe some of the $$$ spent on the triple.fi's...

Here is an interesting (not to be taken too seriously) thread that I started a while back that basically points out that in my entire head-fi journey, I got the biggest increases in SQ when I upgraded headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/poi...eturns-245913/

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 33
buy the headphones first as they are more important.

Why not roll up your sleeves and make one LOD yourself for massive savings?

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 33
Quite a few of us head-fier's think that the new SF 5 does some things better than the Triple.fi. The Triple.fi is much bigger and can pose fit/comfort issues also. Unless more extended treble is essential you may turn out to be somewhat disappointed.

My SF 5 with an E5, Cardas HPI, bi-flange tips, and 75 ohm impedance adapter is better than Triple.fi sound for a lot cheaper.

Maybe something like this for a LOD,
IPHONE LINE OUT DOCK WITH CABLE & PLUG (BLACK COLOR) - eBay (item 290284870948 end time Dec-30-08 17:21:19 PST)

And if you haven't upgraded tips for the 5 they make a 10% increase in them. The 5, IME, gain a bit more from an amp than the Triple.fi also closing the gap. If you also increased impedance they would probably be a bit better than the Triples except for the treble extension. All three improvements cost about $60 total. Way better value and pretty much equal SQ just a bit different sound.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 33
As the above poster mentioned, the triple.fi 10 might not fit well. I could not get them to fit me at all, so I returned them.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 33
yes get the cans; but I would consider more options than just the triple.fis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back