Should I burn in my brand new dt 770 pro?
Jan 22, 2013 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Technohawk

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

Being experiencing my dt 770 pro and while searching for some nice music to test them out, i came across this burn in stuff.

Im not an audiophile in any way, so I have no idea if this should be done and in which cases.

So I ask the pros: Should I do this? If so, do you have some guidance links or something to instruct this full newbie here?

All I know is you should play music with the most ranges as possible, but I have no idea how to recognize such sounds.

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 10
I haven't really noticed a difference on my cans. Your choice
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 10
It's a rather hotly debated topic. Whether it's a psychological effect or physical change or just snake oil. Do it if you want, it won't hurt anything, but there's no reason to avoid listening to them during this period.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 10
This is slightly off topic but just an idea on how to test if headphone burn in is psychological or physical. Have no idea if it works but it sounds logical.

two of the same headphones brand new. Listen to the first one for a certain amount of time and note how you think the sound changed.  Then use the second headphone you haven't used yet and listen to it for the same amount of time and see if it changes the same way. this isn't a foolproof test but it would be cool if someone could test this idea.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
This is slightly off topic but just an idea on how to test if headphone burn in is psychological or physical. Have no idea if it works but it sounds logical.

two of the same headphones brand new. Listen to the first one for a certain amount of time and note how you think the sound changed.  Then use the second headphone you haven't used yet and listen to it for the same amount of time and see if it changes the same way. this isn't a foolproof test but it would be cool if someone could test this idea.

It would have to be blind testing. The whole argument against burn in is that it is your brain adjusting, not the headphones.

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Hi there!

Being experiencing my dt 770 pro and while searching for some nice music to test them out, i came across this burn in stuff.

Im not an audiophile in any way, so I have no idea if this should be done and in which cases.

So I ask the pros: Should I do this? If so, do you have some guidance links or something to instruct this full newbie here?

All I know is you should play music with the most ranges as possible, but I have no idea how to recognize such sounds.

I personally think its 90% in ones head and 10% actual "burn-in". Your headphones are moving coil type transducers. So the following only applies to that type. (In my personal opinion)

My reasoning for this is as follows: The magnets and coils (Wire burn-in can be discussed elsewhere, this is my personal opinion here) themselves cannot "burn in" because there is no mechanical contact to the diaphragm. There is an air gap.  The diaphragm themselves "can" sort of burn in. For one - they are attached to the sides of the transducer mechanics and secondly, they are manufactured. Anything that is manufactured will have certain areas that are more under stress than others. Compare this to a ironed and starched shirt. When you put it on, it will feel slightly stiff. after a while, the movement during lets say walking will loosen it up a bit, but it still looks perfectly smooth. This is burn in. After an entire day, it will feel even more comfy - but will not look (sound) good anymore. This is paper cone degradation. (Yes I know todays headphones aren't made from pressed paper.)

So - I suggest about 3 hours of "burn-in". It really doesn't matter what you play as long as it vibrates with various frequencies! Your headphones will sound about 5% smoother and exacter. The sound signature itself will not really change.

DISCLAIMER: This is MY personal view on the matter. Your mileage may and should vary. As long as we enjoy the music we are doing it right.

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 10
Just use your headphones normally and it will happen naturally.
No need for pink-noise or a big variety of music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back