Should I be looking at the Sennheiser HD600? Headphone recommendations.
Jun 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

trentrosa

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in a new set of cans, however because I cannot easily try out various headphones I am reliant on the internet. I have been primarily been interested in the HD600s, however I am unsure if they meet my preferences. I will attempt to illustrate what I wish my next pair of headphones to sound like, making references to my existing gear: the Beyerdynamic dt770 pro (250 ohm) and Heir Audio 3.ai.

The first thing you may of noticed about my existing gear is that they are known for bass reproduction, which they indeed are :). However the first thing I want in a pair of headphones is less of it. I am beginning to prefer genres with more emphasis on the midrange: western, bluegrass, blues, and occasionally rock/metal. I find my existing 'phones are much too bassy and I'm finding it far from ideal. However I still want bass present. I want less sub-bass than both of these cans, but want sufficient mid-bass, adding weight to the sound and vocals. So onto the midrange. It is my understanding that mid-bass weighs the vocals, which I am finding to be not weighty enough with the dt770s but too weighty with the 3.ai (male vocals just sound unnaturally deep with these). So I want bass that provides some body to the sound, but lies behind the midrange, preferably a bit (I feel the midrange is rather forward with the 3ai but not dt770, however there is still too much in both.) I want the picking of a banjo to snap (as with mandolin) , if that means anything about the attack or decay at all (I'm kinda nooby), and guitar and violin to sound as realistic as possible. As with the upper midrange, I don't want a spike (3.ai 3.ai 3.ai). The sibilance presented by the 3.ai is distracting and cymbals sound synthetic. It is also quite fatiguing. Finally, the treble. This is the hardest for me to explain, understand, and take note of. In a nutshell, it should be there, but not sizzling in my head or ringing in my ears when I'm trying to pick apart instruments in the midrange (I really like to pay close attention to individual instruments; I suppose excellent instrument separation would be nice?).

So I don't have alot to compare to so maybe you guys could sum up my preferences with some simpler commonly used words. Would I prefer warm headphones? Dark ones? Tube amps? I seems to me I don't want overly bright phones, but you probably know more about my preferences than I do. 

Anyways, I appreciate ALL responses and wish you all the best of luck in achieving audio bliss and pinpointing your preferences.

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 16
From the bass to the midrange, either the HD650 or HD600 is a good solution for your problem. The HD650 has a slight edge in the sub-bass.

The key difference between these two will be in the treble region. The HD600 is more neutral and analytical than the HD650; the HD600 is far more "neutral-sounding" across the entire frequency and any music that already delivers plenty of sizzle (i.e. cymbals in rock/metal) will show. I prefer the HD600 over the HD650 when I'm analyzing and transcribing music. Acoustic instruments are better suited for HD600 imo, but if the music has a good amount of compression applied to it like what pop/rock/metal/hip-hop are nowadays, then I'd go with the HD650. The HD650 is purely for a warmer and laid-back sound signature due to the treble being quieter and less fatiguing when playing on such tracks.

And of course, HD650 costs $100 more than HD600.

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 16
western, bluegrass, blues, and occasionally rock/metal

In other words: guitar, guitar, guitar and occasionally guitar with some bass+drums thrown in.  Which sounds fantastic with the HD-600.  

I listen to a lot of Rush which has layers of guitars AND keyboards crowding the mid-range, and have no trouble picking them apart with these cans - even on a "loudness wars" album like Vapor Trails.  This despite the soundstage being not very wide - it's more that you can differentiate each instrument by their timbre even when they're coming from the same position in space.

I think it will also give you what you want in the bass - it's there and it has the punch, but it lets the midrange shine.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 16
From the bass to the midrange, either the HD650 or HD600 is a good solution for your problem. The HD650 has a slight edge in the sub-bass.

The key difference between these two will be in the treble region. The HD600 is more neutral and analytical than the HD650; the HD600 is far more "neutral-sounding" across the entire frequency and any music that already delivers plenty of sizzle (i.e. cymbals in rock/metal) will show. I prefer the HD600 over the HD650 when I'm analyzing and transcribing music. Acoustic instruments are better suited for HD600 imo, but if the music has a good amount of compression applied to it like what pop/rock/metal/hip-hop are nowadays, then I'd go with the HD650. The HD650 is purely for a warmer and laid-back sound signature due to the treble being quieter and less fatiguing when playing on such tracks.

I was looking into the HD650 however it seems like a risky sound signature. As with the 600s, I will be purchasing an amp to drive them (currently fiio e11), but cannot decide between the Schiit Asgard 2 and Bottlehead Crack :/.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 16
Why can't you try out several headphones? Are you far from any large city?

Perhaps you might be perfectly happy with the Sennheiser HD598?

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

I was looking into the HD650 however it seems like a risky sound signature. As with the 600s, I will be purchasing an amp to drive them (currently fiio e11), but cannot decide between the Schiit Asgard 2 and Bottlehead Crack :/.

Crack MOST definately.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 16
I just sent an Asgard 2 back. I was using it with my HD580 (600 equivalent) and it was a great amp except the treble region. The A2 smoothed out the treble and took the bite off of it. It was the first time my 580 sounded kind of boring. The bass, mids and soundstage were great though.

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 16
Since you brought up the Bottlehead Crack, I recommend the HD650 with this setup, but you can't go wrong with either! I've listened to HD600 and HD650 on that amp and preferred HD650 with the Bottlehead Crack. I currently own HD600 and Asgard (not 2) and it's too sterile. Definitely the bh crack amp.

Personally, I'm an analytical kind of person who likes to dissect the music and I'd go with a HD600 due to the enhanced treble; this is where you get the extra details in the timbre of an instrument (i.e. acoustic instruments). Some people hate the high medium amount of sizzle and sibilance (LCD-2 folks), and some love it.

It's not a night and day difference between the two if you're that worried. You'll have to ask yourself if the extra $100 is worth it. So what will it be? Laid-back (HD650) or analytical and treble-detailed (HD600)?

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back