Should America forgive Pete Rose and reinstate him to baseball?
Jun 21, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #31 of 41
I hope Bonds doesn't make it past Hank Aaron. And I hope Pete Rose never is reinstated to baseball.
mad.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #32 of 41
As I watched the Dominican-born Sammy Sosa hit #600 racism definitely shows how it can be a factor on the field. In the multiple decades MLB was a "Whites only" sport, I can only imagine the records that would be in the books now without racism having dominated the sport. Just imagine what Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, and Pete Hill would have done if given careers in MLB.

With that said and back to Pete, I don't think he should get in. He lied for 14 years when everyone knew he'd done it. That's almost as bad as the betting. Then he writes a book to admit to it. Hey, if I'm going to admit to it why not make some money? He seems to exhibit the same lack of a conscience as OJ in his self-centered world and I have little respect for him. I won't even go into the felony tax evasion. He isn't genuine and doesn't deserve the honor.

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Socratez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With that said and back to Pete, I don't think he should get in. He lied for 14 years when everyone knew he'd done it. That's almost as bad as the betting. Then he writes a book to admit to it. Hey, if I'm going to admit to it why not make some money? He seems to exhibit the same lack of a conscience as OJ in his self-centered world and I have little respect for him. I won't even go into the felony tax evasion. He isn't genuine and doesn't deserve the honor.

He had admitted it because he hoped that this shameful act, after 14 years of lying,
would have helped to reinstate him to baseball.
No, he should not be pardoned!

blink.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #34 of 41
No - and all the players who have admitted to using steriods should have their official records voided. A thing is either illegal, or it is not; rules should be enforced. So many athletes make so much money these days for living a dream and are horrible role models compared to the pro athletes I remember when I was a kid.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Racism can easily effect a game, not all teammates are the same ethnicity. What if you have a white player tipping off the other team because he doesn't like the pitcher because he's black? How about spiking a player sliding into a base? Intentionally doming someone? Maybe a manager might not play a guy because he has the wrong color skin. Racism can be just as bad or worse.

I'm pretty sure Rose played to win because he wanted to win the game more than he wanted to win the bet. You can get a sense of this by the way he played the game, he played to win every day, it wasn't about money for him.
I think athletes bet on their games more than most people think, just not so it's documented. Jordan has/had a gambling problem, I'm thinking he might have had some wagers on his games, possibly with other players.

I'm not saying one is worse than the other, I'm just pointing out that other people have had character issues and are in the hall. If they can forgive a racist, what makes gambling so unforgivable?

Racism law and thought has changed over the years, what once was okay to "own" someone is not thought of the same today. when Ty was around it was a different time, different thought, different okay and different not okay.

when Pete was around is what never okay to come close to gambling..ever.

not sure what I think if he should or not be allowed in but you are talking about different times in this world...so comparing the two with Racism does not stand to much ground.

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #36 of 41
When Barry Bonds breaks the all-time homerun record (and he will), he WILL be inducted into the HOF(maybe with a footnote). No matter what controversy surronds Bonds, the committee's hand will be forced and he WILL be in the HOF.

Now, how do you justify keeping Rose out of the HOF?

Are you holding gambling (against other teams) as a worse offense than taking steroids and other performance enhancing drugs? Gambling didn't improve Rose's hand-eye coordination, or his ability to record a ligitimate all-time record, or to play with the intensity that he did. Without the huge number of homeruns (assisted by steroids), Bonds would not be in the HOF.

And to those who said the Hall is about integrity and being a role model: Barry is NOT a rolemodel, in fact, he makes Charles Barkley look like a saint.

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #38 of 41
Babe Ruth shouldn't be allowed in the Hall because he drank during prohibition! Get your pitchforks and torches!

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When Barry Bonds breaks the all-time homerun record (and he will), he WILL be inducted into the HOF(maybe with a footnote). No matter what controversy surronds Bonds, the committee's hand will be forced and he WILL be in the HOF.

Now, how do you justify keeping Rose out of the HOF?

Are you holding gambling (against other teams) as a worse offense than taking steroids and other performance enhancing drugs? Gambling didn't improve Rose's hand-eye coordination, or his ability to record a ligitimate all-time record, or to play with the intensity that he did. Without the huge number of homeruns (assisted by steroids), Bonds would not be in the HOF.

And to those who said the Hall is about integrity and being a role model: Barry is NOT a rolemodel, in fact, he makes Charles Barkley look like a saint.

Barry Bonds has never tested positive for steroids, and at the time he was allegedly using them, they were not against the rules of baseball. Did he use them? Almost certainly (adults just don't go from size 10 cleats to size 13 cleats). Pete Rose, OTOH, did in fact violate the rules of MLB, and lied about it for 14 years. Until he wrote a book about it, that is.

Also, keep in mind that at the peak of the steroid era, a lot of ballplayers were taking them. Few of them came close to what Bonds achieved, even before he took steroids.

I suspect the playing field was more level than anyone realizes. Not that it makes it ok to have used steriods, etc. Unfortunately, MLB chose to look the other way, and now baseball is paying the price.

I disagree that Bonds wasn't a HOF player w/o steroids. Look up Barry Bonds stats prior to the steroid issue. He had HOF credentials even then, he just added a bunch of icing to the cake.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18629617/site/newsweek/

Quote from above article:

Quote:

The numbers Bonds had put up before the 1999 season were luminous enough to have guaranteed him first-ballot election to the Hall of Fame. He had 411 home runs, 445 stolen bases—he is now the only "500-500" player in history—eight All-Star selections and eight Gold Glove awards. He had won three MVP awards and should have won a fourth that was given to a lesser, but less obnoxious, player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back