Should America forgive Pete Rose and reinstate him to baseball?
Jun 19, 2007 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41
Every year before the All Star Game speculations surface.
Will Pete Rose be reinstated to baseball this year?
People ask: Should Pete Rose be reinstated to baseball?
If so, should he be made elligible for Hall of Fame?

For those who don't know let me me digress that Pete Rose
was banned for life from baseball in 1989 for betting on baseball games.
He has lied for 14 years that he had never gambled on baseball games
(see below: Rose Can’t Hustle History).
He was in jail for five months for tax evasion Further tax woes for Pete Rose

I've read recently: 'evereybody should have a second chance' and
'America forgave Richard Nixon, so why not to forgive Pete Rose'?
.... and so on .... and so on...

I've also read that for some reasons chances are good for
his reinstatenment to baseball this year.

Of course there are also those who say that he should not be reinstated to
baseball because of:

"Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee,
who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection
with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."
(Major League Rule 21)

The below text is taken from Rose Can’t Hustle History

Quote:

His timing is impeccable. With less than two years left before he truly becomes ineligible to have his bust sit next to those of Ruth, Mantle, Mays and others in Cooperstown, Rose is hopeful that his shameless confession is enough to convince Commissioner Bud Selig to reverse the 1989 ban

The debate rages on. What is your opinion in this matter?

In my opinion: No, never!

blink.gif

P.S.
Sorry, it's not a poll. .... crying ....

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 41
Sure, let him back in. MLB is going the way of professional boxing anyway, right? Admittedly, if it weren't for the betting scandal I'm pretty sure Rose would have been a complete shoe-in for HOF status and gambling really shouldn't take away from his accomplishments.

That said, why not grant him his place in the hall of fame - but with a caveat: His accomplishments must be published completely, inclusive of his scandal.

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If we let Bonds take the home run crown then who cares, let him in to the HOF.

--Illah

X 2 - if Bonds can roid himself into the record books, sure. At least Pete didn't cheat
tongue.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 41
Rose has a much better chance of being forgiven than Nixon by "America". And who said Nixon was let off the hook? I didn't think even FOXnews has that much history warping clout.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If we let Bonds take the home run crown then who cares, let him in to the HOF.

--Illah

Absolutely agree...

Jun 19, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 41
Of course, if he gets reinstated, there's still a question of whether or not he'll ever make the Hall. For one thing, Rose's Hall of Fame eligibility has already expired, meaning he would have to be selected by the Veterans' Committee to make it. Secondly, according to the Hall of Fame, voting "shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played" and for Veterans' Committee - "The Committee shall consider all eligible candidates and voting shall be based upon the individual's record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and contribution to the game." IMO, Rose hasn't exactly exemplified integrity or good character.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, if he gets reinstated, there's still a question of whether or not he'll ever make the Hall. For one thing, Rose's Hall of Fame eligibility has already expired, meaning he would have to be selected by the Veterans' Committee to make it. Secondly, according to the Hall of Fame, voting "shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played" and for Veterans' Committee - "The Committee shall consider all eligible candidates and voting shall be based upon the individual's record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and contribution to the game." IMO, Rose hasn't exactly exemplified integrity or good character.

many hall of famers should not have been in the hall based on sportsmanship, character and integrity but that hasn'y stopped the sportwriters from voting them in

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The Committee shall consider all eligible candidates and voting shall be based upon the individual's record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and contribution to the game." IMO, Rose hasn't exactly exemplified integrity or good character.

Plenty of players have been inducted who didn't exactly exemplify integrity or good character. IMO, Rose deserves to be inducted, especially when they are forced to induct Bonds for breaking the homerun record. Even more so, considering Rose's stats and 'still-intact' hitting record were unassisted by performance enhancers.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, why not grant him his place in the hall of fame - but with a caveat: His accomplishments must be published completely, inclusive of his scandal.

This would be my vote, if it were a poll, and also the caveat that
he not be let back into baseball. I believe, not sure, that all this gambling on baseball was during his managerial career and not as a player.

But now that I think about it, how do you let someone into the HOF when they are banned from baseball? Does he get to part in the HOF ceremony?
You'd probably have to let him back into baseball first, then vote him into the HOF.

There have been many forms of cheating over the years, but IMHO, gambling on a sport that you have some form of influence into the outcome, is really really hard for me to forgive.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #13 of 41
While I agree that Rose should be in the Hall for his playing, I'm just pointing out that it most likely will never happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But now that I think about it, how do you let someone into the HOF when they are banned from baseball? Does he get to part in the HOF ceremony?
You'd probably have to let him back into baseball first, then vote him into the HOF.

You're correct - the ban would have to lifted before Rose could even be considered a candidate for the Hall.

As for Bonds getting into the Hall, don't be so sure of that. 75% is a large chunk of votes and he hasn't exactly been all that chummy with the voters, aka baseball reporters.

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 41
yes [size=medium]yes[/size] [size=large]yes[/size] [size=x-large]yes[/size] [size=xx-large]yes[/size]

He was the best complete player of his era. All gambling on his team was to win. What's wrong with that? Pete lied about it until there was no other solution. And no I am not a homie, I'm a Cardinal dyed fan. If today's player played half as hard as he did, the game would be fun again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back