Shostakovich Symphonies
Aug 21, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #467 of 470
Not much Shostakovitch symphony listening here (I stick with Beethoven, Mozart, and Brahms), but I do enjoy the quartets a lot.

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #468 of 470
I'm listening to the Rostropovich set for the first time today - I have to say I am quite enjoying it, which is very surprising after the rather lukewarm reviews I've read of it.  I like that it's different than any other set I've heard.  Where most go for manic (Rozhdestvensky or Kondrashin), or Deep (pretty much everyone else), Rostropovich treats the music in an almost balletic manner.  Not quite the Nutcracker, but close.  He zigs, where others zag.  Maybe not a reference set, but still it's very good and a very satisfying alternate take.

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #469 of 470

Quote:
I'm listening to the Rostropovich set for the first time today - I have to say I am quite enjoying it, which is very surprising after the rather lukewarm reviews I've read of it.  I like that it's different than any other set I've heard.  Where most go for manic (Rozhdestvensky or Kondrashin), or Deep (pretty much everyone else), Rostropovich treats the music in an almost balletic manner.  Not quite the Nutcracker, but close.  He zigs, where others zag.  Maybe not a reference set, but still it's very good and a very satisfying alternate take.

Is it the more recent set on the LSO label? or the earlier set on Warner?

If it is the LSO set then it is very good indeed. Though I'm not a big fan of the SQ, a little too "nice" for look of a better word (same as all of the LSO label). Rostropovich can pretty much do what he wants with Shostakovich and it will sound authentic, but I think it's just nice knowing that his friend and fellow artist is conducting his brillliant work. He isn't the greatest or most popular Russian conductor but as you say, he adds a certain someting.

Jun 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #470 of 470

I'm very partial to Rostopovich's take onthe 8th. Shostakovich (in the symphonies) can too easily fall into self-parody, if not handled deftly. and R does just that. Can anyone recommend a recording of the 5th where the first movement doesn't collapse into cartoon music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back