Shostakovich Symphonies
May 17, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #451 of 470
I'm pretty new to Head-Fi and new to this thread, so I hope I am not repeating well-worn territory (I did try Search This Thread first, honest).

Two 5ths worth talking about that I don't see mentioned:

If you like your 5 fast, then Leningrad Symphony conducted by Dmitriev on Linn Records, clocks in even faster then Maazel on movements 1+3, tie on 2 and slightly slower on 4, but pace sounds the same. This is a favorite of mine, although the noise floor is high and audible.

Then there is Slater and the St. Louis SO -- this thread mentions Slater for 8, but listen to 5 as well. (Of course I own Bernstein -- '79 live -- and Maazel on Telarc as well, these are musts).

May 19, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #452 of 470
I think the best way to sum what I have to say up is said in a facebook group: 'Saying no to Shostakovich's 5th symphony is like saying no to sex'.

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #453 of 470
Got a few more Shostakovich recordings.
Listened to both Karajan's and Jarvi's 10th and there is no comparison. I prefer the Jarvi 10th over all I have heard so far (Karajan, Ashkenazy and Haitink). I never understood the 10th, until I listened to Jarvi. Shoot Haitink makes the whole 10th "boring", lacking in the terror and symbolic victory of DSCH over Stalin.
Also got the Bernstein/CSO DG recordings of the 1st/7th. Haven't listened to it yet, but will soon. Overall I want more recordings of DSCH symphonies. Once I got some money to spend I am going to get Jarvi's 4th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th. Will most likely get the Jansons set, Gergiev's 4th and 7th and if I can get Barshai's set. I am in a DSCH symphonic addiction (not a good place to be in).

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #454 of 470
I have tried a few times to listen and enjoy Chostakovich orchestral works (tried the 5th with some relative success) and have never really enjoyed it. Last week I heard the 11th, part of it as least on a french radio (France musique) and enjoyed it a lot. Since then I have been listenin to it several times and really like it.
The version I enjoy the most is Mariss Jansons, I really like his tempo and energy in the climax of the second mvt, at 7:35 in. Other interpretations (Kondrashin, Haitink, rostropovich, Rozhdestvensky, stokovsky) of this specific mvt of the 11th have been less satisfying for me (so far and I am only beginning to appreciate it).
Just wanted to share this. Beginners, give a try to the 11th 2nd mvt.
Lionel

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #455 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listened to both Karajan's and Jarvi's 10th and there is no comparison. I prefer the Jarvi 10th over all I have heard so far (Karajan, Ashkenazy and Haitink). I never understood the 10th, until I listened to Jarvi. Shoot Haitink makes the whole 10th "boring", lacking in the terror and symbolic victory of DSCH over Stalin.
Also got the Bernstein/CSO DG recordings of the 1st/7th. Haven't listened to it yet, but will soon. Overall I want more recordings of DSCH symphonies. Once I got some money to spend I am going to get Jarvi's 4th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th. Will most likely get the Jansons set, Gergiev's 4th and 7th and if I can get Barshai's set. I am in a DSCH symphonic addiction (not a good place to be in).

I agree that Jarvi makes more of #10 than Haitink,
as does Jansons thus a reason to get his set, and especially get it for his #8,
and his #4 is listenable.
The first #10 that made sense to me is Svetlanov's Russian recording, which I have on a Melodiya LP - I do not know if it has been released on CD.
Mine is his Studio recording - there is also a live concert recording of #10 with Svetlanov.
It has been released on CD, but I have not heard it.

I have been listening to Maxim Shostakovich's complete set for about a year now.
His of #10 is quite different to other versions I have heard, but I find it quite captivating. He brings out music in parts of the work that some other conductors seem to disregard and those conductors emphasize mostly the louder sections.
Maxim also does this with #7, and makes a good case for really listening to the 2nd; 3rd; 4th movements, as distinct from simply having them as an add-on to the popular 1st movement.
Maxim's performance of #4 is now one of my favourites - this really is a very good and heartfelt performance of the actual music, as distinct from simply using it as a show-piece for one's conducting abilities, or for pushing one's mistaken interpretive ideas onto it, which Gergiev does and thereby simply displays his own ridiculous ego !
Jarvi is good with #4, but don't waste your money on Gergiev's, unless you've heard it and actually like the mess he makes of it.
If you want to hear Gergiev conducting Shostakovich, then try his of #7 because the 1st movement of that work may allow for Gergiev's ego and not be too spoiled by it, however I can't predict what he will do with the other movements ...

Back to Maxim's set :-
his performance of #5 makes sense to me, and more than most others, and I have heard numerous versions of this work.
One enjoyable alternate version is Andre Previn's first recording, on RCA and recently re-issued at budget price -{RCA/BMG}- and his has a very fast 4th movement, for listeners who prefer it that way, though I don't and am content with Maxim's if I have to listen to this movement.
Bernstein's original of #5 is melodramatic, as was Bernstein in nature at times and that is OK when it suits the music, but I don't think it does here.
Maxim brings out the real beauty in the 3rd movement, as music, and not as B-grade melodrama.

The only caveat with Maxim's versions are that he knows what the music is really about, and this may not be what some listeners want to hear,
and indeed one may not always enjoy what the music is about, thus for some of the symphonies you will not hear what you have been led to believe by some other conductors.
With regard to other valid conductors, Maxim is different to Kondrashin, Mravinsky, Rozhdestvensky -{and as they are all to each other}- and quite validly I think, as he seems to be applying some of the music to our beginning 21st Century world, and I think that is valid for parts of some of the works as his father would have considered today's events if alive and composing now.
An occasional problem is that these are live concert performances, thus one gets to hear the occasional less than absolute perfection of some instrumentalists' performances, and sometimes it takes the orchestra a little time to really get into the full depth of the music - such as in #15 the 1st movement is less than it should be, but the orchestra improves in the second movement, and soon the performance becomes gripping, and by the end it is devastating ! , -{albeit in keeping with the music of this work - don't expect explosions - but you may be somewhere you didn't expect to be after listening through this}.
Most of the performances in this set are not of the knock-you-over/shock tactics type,
which some conductors' versions are but some of those are quite superficial and have little or no depth into the substance of the music.
Maxim seems to have thought a lot about how he was going to conduct these works, and that becomes apparent after several listenings,
however, you may not actually like all parts of all of them - I don't - but I'm happy to have the set for reference, and there is plenty I do like about it.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #456 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Definitely try to get Barshai's set which is at the top of the heap. If you haven't already acquired it, then you should also consider the Brilliant Classics Shostakovich anniversary set: Shostakovich Edition which includes the Barshai recordings of the symphonies; the "chamber" symphonies (string quartets arranged by Barshai for small orchestral ensembles); Kuchar's excellent recordings of the various suites (used for filmscores and ballets); Rubio Quartet doing the string quartets; concertos; sonatas; et al.

The set a great value -- about $150 (or less) for 27 cds plus a dvd-cd and a dvd, or about $5.00 per disc. It's complete and you get top tier modern recordings and some historic recordings (David Oistrakh and Klara Wurtz are featured soloists) of a massive chunk of Shostakovich's music. It's the type of package that really tempts me and I already have great recordings of almost all of the music.

You can read about the set at Arkivmusic and Joanrecords (put Barshai into search box).

51L7J94jJXL._SS500_.jpg

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #457 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty new to Head-Fi and new to this thread, so I hope I am not repeating well-worn territory (I did try Search This Thread first, honest).

Two 5ths worth talking about that I don't see mentioned:

If you like your 5 fast, then Leningrad Symphony conducted by Dmitriev on Linn Records, clocks in even faster then Maazel on movements 1+3, tie on 2 and slightly slower on 4, but pace sounds the same. This is a favorite of mine, although the noise floor is high and audible.

Then there is Slater and the St. Louis SO -- this thread mentions Slater for 8, but listen to 5 as well. (Of course I own Bernstein -- '79 live -- and Maazel on Telarc as well, these are musts).

I think you have a typo in there as the last time I listened, the "Leningrad" was the the 7th symphony in C major, Op.60.

Btw, Eiji Oue has a masterful Leningrad with the Osaka Philharmonic. Unfortunately you have to order it from Japan and the Yen is at an all time high against the dollar.
frown.gif
(picture is link)

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #458 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you have a typo in there as the last time I listened, the "Leningrad" was the the 7th symphony in C major, Op.60.

Btw, Eiji Oue has a masterful Leningrad with the Osaka Philharmonic. Unfortunately you have to order it from Japan and the Yen is at an all time high against the dollar.
frown.gif
(picture is link)

2,661.00¥ = 28.8666 US$

I braced for something worse.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #459 of 470
I haven't heard a Shosty symphony in quite a while, but what I have been listening to is his other music: specifically the film scores and ballets. Wonderful, spiky, tuneful, and even melancholic music. The Bolt is marvelous. I also relistened to Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk. Must listening for Shosty fans. Really puts the 4th and 5th into context, what with the Stalinist purges and accusations of formalism in music. Real shocker of an opera.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #460 of 470
The two releases by Thomas Sanderling are particularly good, too.

a10a729fd7a02ebdc390e010.L.jpg
61HH4p0YpIL._SS500_.jpg

Kuchar's film and incidental music are included in the Brilliant Classics Shostakovich Edition. They also have received great reviews from the critics. I haven't decided whether to get that box set or just the Kuchar 3 cd set as I already have the Barshai symphonies. The decider may be the historic recordings by Oistrakh and Klara Wurtz that included in the Shosty Edition. Then again, if I find the big box for only pennies more than the now oop Kuchar, that will decide the matter.
tongue.gif

415t0AXPcOL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Aug 19, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #462 of 470
Medici Arts recentlyt issued this DVD of Proms perforances by this conductor and the BBC Symphony, dated from 1978. This performance of the Shosty 4 is about the most riveting I have heard. The mono sound is OK. But with a performance on this level, it didn't matter much. This conductor, who in youtube videos, appears almost always expressionless, is very much worth watching here. He put a lot of effort into keeping the rhythmic energy going in this performance. And the last 10 minutes, where he puts down his baton and conducts with spare, expressive gestures were incredibly moving.

This DVD also contains performances with the same forces from 1979 of Russian Easter Overture, and Rachmaninoff Concerto 1 (Postnikova). I didn't listen to much of these--not pieces I like. But here the conductor displays flat affect and lets his 2 foot long baton do the work.

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #463 of 470
I didn't take to the Barshai set. The sound lacked mid-range impact, and interpretations were too cold for my liking. Overall, I favour the Kondrashin set (cheap on the domestic Russian Venezia label), but prefer Mravinsky for 6, 11, 12 and 15. Oddly, I don't find either completely convincing in the well known 5th and 10th symphonies, so am still looking there. The Bernstein 1 and 7 on DG is definitely on my list!

I have listened to many recordings of the cello concertos. I think Tortelier/Berglund is definitely best in the wonderful 1st concerto, and if they'd done the 2nd they'd probably win that one too. As things stand, Kliegel/Wit are top choice for 2 (their 1st is also excellent).

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #464 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't take to the Barshai set. The sound lacked mid-range impact, and interpretations were too cold for my liking. Overall, I favour the Kondrashin set (cheap on the domestic Russian Venezia label), but prefer Mravinsky for 6, 11, 12 and 15. Oddly, I don't find either completely convincing in the well known 5th and 10th symphonies, so am still looking there. The Bernstein 1 and 7 on DG is definitely on my list!

I have listened to many recordings of the cello concertos. I think Tortelier/Berglund is definitely best in the wonderful 1st concerto, and if they'd done the 2nd they'd probably win that one too. As things stand, Kliegel/Wit are top choice for 2 (their 1st is also excellent).

Personally, I'd go for Karajan on the 10th and Bernstein (NYPO) on the 5th... or Masur for something different. Jansons is the best overall box set, especially for the price/sound/interpretation combination.

For cello concertos Maisky and MTT on DG are also worth a look.

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #465 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Medici Arts recentlyt issued this DVD of Proms perforances by this conductor and the BBC Symphony, dated from 1978. This performance of the Shosty 4 is about the most riveting I have heard. The mono sound is OK. But with a performance on this level, it didn't matter much. This conductor, who in youtube videos, appears almost always expressionless, is very much worth watching here. He put a lot of effort into keeping the rhythmic energy going in this performance. And the last 10 minutes, where he puts down his baton and conducts with spare, expressive gestures were incredibly moving.

This DVD also contains performances with the same forces from 1979 of Russian Easter Overture, and Rachmaninoff Concerto 1 (Postnikova). I didn't listen to much of these--not pieces I like. But here the conductor displays flat affect and lets his 2 foot long baton do the work.

Very interesting to hear. Rozhdestvensky is an absolute legend, and back inf78 he was in top form. Will definitely have to check this out at some stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back