shortening the cable and replaceing the jack with an angled one on akg 518dj
Dec 3, 2011 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HaBBarN

New Head-Fier
As my title says, is it worth the hassle to shorten the cable and replace the jack? or should i just leave it at 2,5m?

im only using as portables so i need like 1.2meters of cable.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 6
take a look at my thread. just did a similar thing as you. I wouldnt suggest it if you want your headphones to work exactly how they are now and dont know what you're doing. the work isn't terribly hard, but sometimes the materials you are given, like the stock cord, may not be ideal for the type of modification. I have lost some functionality in the portability side of things due to my modification. Though, my cord was 3 meters long and pretty heavy, so now i have a just as not portable set of headphones that I am going to get recabled in a month anyways. 

Literally as I sit on my bed typing on my laptop and listening to my music through my computer using my headphones, the plug i have attached has seemed to dislodge from the audio jack and reconnected itself a good 5 or 6 times now. I am seriously worried how my headphones are gonna sound/react if i try walking around with them connected to my iPod. Dont know if i can get away with the amp with how sensitive it seems to be to movement.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 6
with a good plug (nuetrik, switchcraft, etc.) you should have no issues doing what you suggest. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 6
the only weirdness you might face - I'm not sure what wire akg uses in that cable. They often use enamel coated wires - which some people have a hard time working with. That aside - you should be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back