Short Review: Bose QuietComfort 2
Nov 30, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #17 of 29
Another reason the QC2 is ideal for work: I loaned the QC2 to my girlfriend for a plane ride she's taking in a couple hours, so I brought my HD 497s in. I don't use an amp at work. I play CDs through my workstation. The 497s sound unbearably thin, tinny, and frail through the soundcard, no matter what EQ I try to apply, where the Bose always sound full-bodied and substantial. The waveform sounds extremely compromised through the 497s, where the Bose never reveal this. At home the 497s have competitive sound but here at work it's absolutely no contest.

Now if I had brought my amp...

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nepenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a clue what you're talking about here. Hundreds of hours of listening time and never a "high pitched noise."

All noise cancelling headphones induce some form of white noise (no matter how inaudible) into the audio signal as a result of the noise cancellation circuitry itself; and that fact happens to be one of the most obvious reasons why IEM's are recommended more for their audiophile sound compared to active noise reducing headphones. Always remember, in other words, that your inability to hear something does not necessarily mean that it does not exist or is not present.

Also, keep in mind that the noise cancellation circuitry in your QC2's will in effect amplify the audio signal as it is received from your DAP, so to add an amp to the signal chain would likely degrade audio quality rather than improve it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nepenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now if I had brought my amp...

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #19 of 29
The Bose QC2 is indeed very pleasing to the ear. Much like its cousin the Triports, there is nothing particularly offensive about the sound. It's incredibly coloured, but in a way which is very soothing. The problem is, the HD650 is just as soothing and "infinitely" more capable. Did I mention cheaper too?

If isolation is required, but at no expense of comfort, may I suggest custom IEMs
biggrin.gif
Even universal IEMs with the softest foamies made my ears sore after a 13 hour flight
frown.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #20 of 29
I tried these around 2 years ago and thought they were one of the most muddy headphones ever. Still, they have useful for airplane trips and mowing the lawn.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bose QC2 is indeed very pleasing to the ear. Much like its cousin the Triports, there is nothing particularly offensive about the sound. It's incredibly coloured, but in a way which is very soothing. The problem is, the HD650 is just as soothing and "infinitely" more capable. Did I mention cheaper too?

If isolation is required, but at no expense of comfort, may I suggest custom IEMs
biggrin.gif
Even universal IEMs with the softest foamies made my ears sore after a 13 hour flight
frown.gif

I think they're somewhat better than the Triports. If I could have gotten the HD650 for free I would have, but I got the QC2 for free instead.
wink.gif
But Amazon shows a $170 price difference.

For a couple of reasons the QC2s are better for me for work than the big Senns: isolation and easy driveability using the meager soundcard.

I've been without my QC2s for only a few hours today at work and I'm missing them greatly.
cool.gif
But at home I don't use the Bose...

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #22 of 29
It just goes to show you that everybody responds differently to all headphones and/or IEMs. I've heard people swear by one headphone and when I wear it they sound terrible. Or vice-versa.

But as far as the Bose, and I also travel overseas 3 to 4 times a month, I really believe that when you spend so much for an "average at best" pair of headphones, you convince yourself that the sound is so great.

For noise-canceling, I settled on the Audio-Technica ANC7s and to these ears they sound far superior to the Bose (which I tried on many American Airlines flights where they supply the QC3s to everyone in business/first class). I tried them side by side and the Bose just sat on the floor in their case until the end of the flight when they're collected.

Of course I don't think any noise-canceling headphone sound as good as the Shure SE530 or other top of the line IEMs. It just seems to me that the people wearing Bose are using them as a status symbol as much as a quality set of headphones. And they're way overpriced at $350. My ANC7s cost $120 at Amazon and to me, worth every cent for those long overnight flights.

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #23 of 29
They used to be my favorites for very log time. But now I prefer E500s. My alltime favorites are still Triport Around Ears, older triports, feather weight and super comfy.

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They used to be my favorites for very log time. But now I prefer E500s. My alltime favorites are still Triport Around Ears, older triports, feather weight and super comfy.

I can agree that the triport around ears are light and have great seal, but I can't put them on for a long period of time (about 2 hours tops), I find it too fatiguing... and luckily it isn't mine. But hey, that's just me..

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #25 of 29
I had the QC2 a couple of years ago. I got them for airplane rides. They are extremely comfortable but the bloated bass was starting to make me sick. So i switched to IEMs and haven't looked back since!

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mas215 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But as far as the Bose, and I also travel overseas 3 to 4 times a month, I really believe that when you spend so much for an "average at best" pair of headphones, you convince yourself that the sound is so great.

This is probably true if you got them from a store with no refunds. Bose has a 30-day return policy. I bought the anc7 a few days after the qc2 and I still have the qc2 and chose not to return them.

also, the anc7 is nice but compared to the qc2, the soundstage is narrow and the sound can sometimes sound like a cheap transistor radio (or ksc75) with sharp decay. The qc2 sounds muddier but decays gradually... which makes it very comfortable to listen to... to me this is more important than treble clarity.

edit: another thing, the anc7 has a VERY annoying habit of picking up interference (hiss or hum) from cellphones and anything electronic nearby. i don't even bother with the anc7 when i'm sitting at the computer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
The problem is, the HD650 is just as soothing and "infinitely" more capable. Did I mention cheaper too?

Slick move on the Sennheiser promotion but no, the HD650 is not cheaper. You forgot the amp.

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #27 of 29
atx:

HD650 is cheaper in the UK.

QC2: 225GBP
HD650: 182GBP

HD650 sounds better than QC2 even when unamped.
wink.gif

Anyway, you'd have to be downright mad to consider the HD650 for airplane duties.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #28 of 29
I'm a basshead! Love my beyerdynamic dt770/80 and my ultimate ears 5pro and eb, but the bose sound to me was so muddy and nothing but bass came out.. for $160, I was highly dissapointed. Returned them a few days later to circuit city. Never tryed the quiet comfort.. but the on ear ones were waaay too bass heavy. Thats just my opinion.

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #29 of 29
I have a pair of QC2s and agreewith just about everyone says about Bose.

I use them for travel and I have enjoyed them for screamming babies and gain rest from the engine noise.  I started with Shure C3's IEM that I purchased about 6 years ago and still use them today when riding my Motorcycle. I think they sound better than my QC2 but of course lack in the bass area (being IEMs) and the QC2's produce more bass and a more warming sound than my IEMs.  The IEMs provide superior noise cancelling over the bose and for general sound cancelling and for the ability to listen to music when riding especially at freeway speeds.

Now to listen comfortable around the house and by the computer, I'm planning on pulling an old 75W per channel Yamaha pro ligic receiver out of storage and pairing it up to Denon AD-H2000 or 5000's.  Now that will rock it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back