Shopping new headphones ($80-150), brightness an issue
Mar 11, 2010 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DrSpiv

New Head-Fier
Long time listener, first time caller?

I'm looking to get some new headphones, have denon D1000's right now (which I'm mostly happy with). I'm thinking I want to try open airs, pricerange somewhere in the $80-150. There are a couple (semi)unique issues though:

I have tinnitus (constant ringing, childhood infections apparently), which also means particularly bright sounds seem harsh to me. The D1000's border on this already, mostly are fine but certain things come through too strong.

So first question: I'm thinking Grado SR80i or sr125i, or alessandro ms1. From what I've read the MS1's seem like they match my requirement pretty well as far as the bright/harsh issue. Is it at the expense of detail? I'd rather have to EQ it a little than give up definition.

Also, I'm wondering if I'm going to get much of an improvement in overall sound quality with any of these. Money is not a huge issue, just that I'd rather not spend a heck of a lot. However if spending 150 or less doesn't get me something I'm going to really enjoy then it's money wasted. Is there a huge gain to be had by going up to 225's or something else?

1: For reference I listen to pretty much everything from Del McCoury to Jay-Z, with emphasis on a lot of folky type music.
2: Will be driving them with a tianyun zero and little dot mkiii.
3: I have no issues with cutting up and modding things if that's the best route; I have a pretty good machine shop and electronics lab at my disposal.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 11
hmmmm.... i hope i'm not off-base on this, but i've heard the Grado sr80, 125, and 225... and they don't fit your description at all.
the treble is abundant and can be somewhat bright (depending on source and recording).
it's one of the reasons folks love those cans.

if "dark" phones is what you're looking for, i'd probably recommend a sennheiser. senns are kinda known for their house sound being slightly dark in general. there are of course exceptions.
and grados are known for their magical mids and their extended highs.

other than that, i can't really offer too much help. there are just too many cans out there that i haven't heard.

since your budget is fairly limited, i'm tempted to inquire on your behalf if the audio technica ath-ad700's fit the need.
they are an absolute steal these days at 80 to 90 bucks. they are open, and certainly fit your budget. i just don't know what they sound like, though...

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 11
hifiman RE0 would treat your ears very nicely. There's no major response spike anywhere and they are very detailed.

IMO it destroys the MS1, which is piercingly bright. AD700 might be OK but they do have a certain treble spike to bring out the detail so it's a gamble.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 11
yes. the REO would be nice if the OP were looking for IEMs.
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Definitely stay away from anything related to Grado in this case.

I just picked up a pair of the ATH-M50 headphones for $90. Seems to be a very nice headphone so far. Detailed without being "bright", yet it has plenty of bass.

Or you could check out the JVC HA-RX700 or 900 headphones. They're cheaper (at $35 and $55, but provide more comfort and a wider soundstage (they sound a bit more open). However, they're not quite as "smooth" as the M50s and lack bass comparatively, but definitely a great purchase. The treble on those is a bit rolled off, so it should be easy on your ears.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hans030390 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely stay away from anything related to Grado in this case.

I just picked up a pair of the ATH-M50 headphones for $90. Seems to be a very nice headphone so far.

i agree with hans. of the audio technica "monitor" series, i've heard the M30, and liked it. as i recall, the treble didn't really "draw attention to itself." but audio memory can be so tricky.
i also know that generally speaking the monitor series gets more refined as you go up the scale. M30, M40, M50.

@ OP - are closed cans an option? cuz the M50 is closed. or are you shooting for open because you already have a closed set in the denons?

i'd be curious to see what some of the more seasoned guys recommend for someone with tinnitus...

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 11
I also have hearing problems with shrillness in the upper registers for my ears. But I have not really heard any problems with my D1001's. I could recommend a pair of HP's that may suit you it would be the JVC RX-700's, quite a bit darker in overall SQ than the Denons and no shrillness or harshness at all. Most people call them a closed design but actually they are a semi-open design. They also have a larger soundstage than the Denons. If you wanted to go with some Sennheiser in your price range FWIR I would probably check out the HD 238 and the PX 100-2's, both are new models with sonics that may be right up your alley. Happy Listening.

P.S. You do not want to purchase any flavor of Grado Labs.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 11
Besides Senn, and if you have a headphone amp of sufficient drive, take a look at Beyerdynamic Dt150 as well. The treble is tamed with these cans, and they do vocals quite right which I thought would be nice with the type of music you listen to. They do need a headphone amp of moderately good drive however.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 11
If youre going to go Grado, id say 225, igrado, gs1000.
But really for you id go Senn.....px100/650 would be a portable/home headphone combo that sounds similar to eachother.
If you dont want to spend alot, see if you can find MB Quart 55x in the forsale forum under $50. I know alot of people disagree, but i think they sound similar to 650s but a hair less bass and a hair more treble, and theyre comfy. For the price you can find them for, theyre great really.
I like to use an open noise-cancelling phone when out and about because i want to know whats going on around me but i still want to cut down noise, so i use Sony NC6.
Its warm with a good sound for the price ($49usd )....but i got mine referbished from Sony Outlet for $11, so i purchased 2 sets because it was so cheap, and ended up liking them.

Maybe Senn HD497, HD580, HD595,HD600.

Some are more money than $150, granted.
You may find a deal in the for sale forum.
Or maybe just use an EQ.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...thread-130229/

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 11
From my experience, grado was too bright for me..

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 11
Wow, heck of a lot of information to digest here. Thanks guys.

Good to know on all the grado stuff. I've read so many good things about them here, but it sounds like they're just a bad match for me.

Yeah, I was hoping to try out a good open design, everything I've ever had has been closed up until now. Thinking it would be nice to have something that breathed a little more, plus I'd like to experience something new. If closed are really the right answer then I'll probably get another closed HP.

Likewise if the price is what's keeping the opens from being a real improvement, I'd be willing to stretch the budget reasonably. Alternative option I guess is swapping tubes or adding an EQ, both of which cost money anyway.

Maybe I can find some used HD600's...either way I think I have some more thinking to do. Thanks again everyone for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back