Shocking test resuts!
Oct 5, 2009 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

notmuchcash

100+ Head-Fier
Out of curiosity, I plugged my Beyerdynamic DT770/80Ω into my computer.

estimated battery life before: 4:16(volume muted, music paused)

Estimated battery life after:4:49 (volume full, music paying)

I scoff at your math.

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 19
IIRC, some electronic volume controls actually use more power when they are limiting volume, rather than at full volume. Not quite sure why, but I remember discussion about it in reference to the iPod volume control and sound quality.

There was some technical physics that explained it convincingly, but not quite well enough that I can remember it...

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 19
lolcatsdotcomwwjv590rc1t3zvsh-1.jpg

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 19
I would not trust the estimated battery time.
Especially not since it should be quite clear that it consume more power with the amplifier under load.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 19
I performed the same test once, but the outcome was more like this...

estimated listening time before: 1 hour

estimated listening time after: 3 minutes

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 19
Try finding your current draw- that would be a much better comparison. Lenovo Power Manager gives this figure and many others, I'm not so sure about other laptops.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try finding your current draw- that would be a much better comparison. Lenovo Power Manager gives this figure and many others, I'm not so sure about other laptops.

I tried to find an app that would allow me to view current draw, and found out something else. My MacBook apparently requires some burn in for the battery.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #12 of 19
OP fails for not considering background processes/programs (software) and other sub-systems (hardware).

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by notmuchcash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried to find an app that would allow me to view current draw, and found out something else. My MacBook apparently requires some burn in for the battery.

I'd imagine the fully burnt in battery will bring forward the mids, extend the highs and tighten up bass when using phones with the macbook.
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd imagine the fully burnt in battery will bring forward the mids, extend the highs and tighten up bass when using phones with the macbook.
tongue.gif

I hear spitting in the headphone port increases the clarity, lush(ness) and wet(ness) of the sound.

but be careful if you eat some skittles then spit into the headphone port, it will produce a Coloured response.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenGecko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear spitting in the headphone port increases the clarity, lush(ness) and wet(ness) of the sound.

but be careful if you eat some skittles then spit into the headphone port, it will produce a Coloured response.

Hear the rainbow!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back