Shinola Headphones
Aug 19, 2017 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

zabzaf

500+ Head-Fier
I just saw on Alex Rosson's Instagram account a blurry photo of a rack of headphones. They look like an Audeze-inspired design but I'm assuming these are a first look at the the upcoming Shinola Headphones.

Audeze-Shinola partnership similar to the VPI-Shinola relationship? Looking forward to seeing these beauties...

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 24
I'm very curious, I hope it's cheaper, lighter and better sounding than LCD-2 :eyes:

I'm guessing, based on the direction of the Runwell turntable, it will be more LCD-3 at its core and probably lighter. Cheaper...I doubt it. Have you visited a Shinola store? :money_with_wings:

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 24
I'm guessing, based on the direction of the Runwell turntable, it will be more LCD-3 at its core and probably lighter. Cheaper...I doubt it. Have you visited a Shinola store? :money_with_wings:

Okay sir, just did a quick search about Shinola and the turntable...expensive stuff no doubt about it.
I hope it is an improvement over LCD-2 or LCD-3 and lighter...let's see how it turns out

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 24
Okay sir, just did a quick search about Shinola and the turntable...expensive stuff no doubt about it.
I hope it is an improvement over LCD-2 or LCD-3 and lighter...let's see how it turns out

I own LCD-3s and love them. They are a bit unwieldy because of the weight but they really don't bother me. I'm guessing the average Shinola buyer would not want Headphones that weigh that much. I'm guessing a more efficient LCD-3 variant that's lighter. Probably featuring a different headband. I suppose we'll see!

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 24
Nov 14, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 24
1DE7E29C-F835-435D-8269-6EF533571E09.jpeg
Gave the Canfield Over Ears a test drive today at the Shinola flagship store in Detroit. You can read all about them on their website but I found the construction superb with these ‘phones having some heft to them. I found the sound signature to be on the warmer, more consumer-friendly side of neutral. I snapped this pic of the table with the headphones for sale.

Of note, the Canfield headphones are dynamic transducers. I could have sworn the dude working the audio area said there are going to be some “pro” headphones coming out that are planars but I was only half listening. Either way, these remind me of my Sennheiser Momentums with respect to their sound signature and styling.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #11 of 24
Great that Shinola has come out with some headphones. I love their local flavor (their products are mainly manufactured in Detroit, and the “Canfield” brand is from a street in Detroit) and high-quality atmosphere of their stores and products, which include bicycles, leather bags, watches, and now, audio gear.

But I see nothing on head-fi other than the post above on the headphones themselves, and they have been out for over two months. Wonder why?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 24
I have them a good listen and they’re very nice for a closed-back. Alex Rosson of Audeze designed them so the pedigree is there. I think I’m going to pick up a pair this weekend. I’ll post impressions.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 24
Great, zabzaf. Are all models closed? I thought one was open, though not sure which one. Thanks!

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #15 of 24
Great to see Shinola headphones finally making their way into the reviewing stream!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back