Shaving, gents
Dec 4, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #601 of 943
Quote:

Thanks for the advice, I just noticed your post today somehow...
beerchug.gif

I'm going to buy some sample pucks from Sue at honeybee spa..

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #603 of 943
L'Occitane shaving soap in a bowl with Da Vinci real badger-hair brush, Gilette proglide 5 blade (manual, hate powered) and L'Occitane Cade After-Shave Balm.

Can't stand elctric shave by the way, I don't feel shaved at all when using that.

It's nice to see that you're back on Head-Fi AppleheadMay :beerchug:

I'm going to buy a puck of l'occitane soap, I like the idea of having some cold cream already into the soap...

I have a puck of l'institut karité on order and some Provence santé yet to buy.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #604 of 943
Ah, I wasn't really gone, just haven't been using headphones much lately, I'm having a speaker time atm.
And not buying much headphone gear as well, spending too much on bikes as you know. :)

Yep, most products with Karite butter are good stuff. My wife uses products with Karite for her hair.

I have been looking evreywhere for a perfume and deo lately: Tuscany by Aramis. Have been using that for over 20 years and always had a nice stock on hand. But it seems like Tuscany isn't made anymore. Same thing in Paris? Else I'd get on my bike and buy a backpack full of the stuff. Once I like something like that I usually stick to it for life. Perfume, shaving soap, shampoo, ... you name it.

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #605 of 943
Yep, most products with Karite butter are good stuff. My wife uses products with Karite for her hair.

Same thing in Paris? Else I'd get on my bike and buy a backpack full of the stuff. Once I like something like that I usually stick to it for life. Perfume, shaving soap, shampoo, ... you name it.

Yeah, sadly my order has been delayed so I'll have to shave with the taylor today... Or maybe the cream..

Well, I didn't know that brand, a quick look on amazon led me to find the perfume but not the deo.

Have you tried to contact Aramis?

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #606 of 943
Quote:

Yeah, sadly my order has been delayed so I'll have to shave with the taylor today... Or maybe the cream..

Well, I didn't know that brand, a quick on amazon led me to find the perfume but not the deo.

Have you tried to contact Aramis?

Just received a small puck of Da Vinci soap. Wanted to try it since their brush is top quality. The packaging doesn't look too promising though, but we'll see tomorrow morning.

Seems like Aramis, formerly a British company has been taken over by the Estee Lauder group.
I just sent them a mail, thanks for the tip!

Tuscany is just about the best male fragrance I ever smelled, something that would smell somewhat in the same trend but not quite is Cacharel pour Homme if you know that one.
A bit too much for summertime though, I use the standard Boss fragrance then.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #607 of 943
Quote:

Just received a small puck of Da Vinci soap. Wanted to try it since their brush is top quality. The packaging doesn't look too promising though, but we'll see tomorrow morning.

Seems like Aramis, formerly a British company has been taken over by the Estee Lauder group.
I just sent them a mail, thanks for the tip!

Tuscany is just about the best male fragrance I ever smelled, something that would smell somewhat in the same trend but not quite is Cacharel pour Homme if you know that one.
A bit too much for summertime though, I use the standard Boss fragrance then.

Cool, keep us posted...

I'm not really into male perfume but these days, I use kiehl's orignal musk. It's pretty warm without being overpowering and it's incredibly long-lasting.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #609 of 943
It's all about the (Dovo Solingen) Merkur Slant-Bar double edge safety razor, feather blades, and a silvertip badger brush. Bay rum shaving soap and aftershave.

Why is this thread in a headphone forum?

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #611 of 943
Dec 16, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #613 of 943
Quote:

I have traveled with my DE, but don't have a special kit.  I took a tube of shaving cream, my DE razor, and my brush.  I wrapped the brush and razor in a washcloth, and then tucked them in my regular kit.  Worked fine.  If you're really worried about it, take the blade out first.  I didn't and didn't have trouble.

Brushes are tougher than they look, and as long as you don't leave them wrapped up, wet, for days they'll be fine.  I dried it off with a towel so it was only a little damp, wrapped it up, and was good to go.

I haven't managed to shave on the train yet, although I noticed the restrooms have a slot for razor blades.  I wonder how many they get these days.  :)  I don't think I'd be brave enough to shave with the DE on a moving train.

Wuss. :)

Since I got bored with HALO skydiving, I like to start my day (early, while it's still dark) with a straight razor wet shave in the co-driver's seat of an (it's decidedly not a Geo) Metro 6R4 in the Kielder Forest. .

...and telling lies...

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #614 of 943
Dec 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #615 of 943
Quote:
So what do you think of the DaVinci soap?

Mmmh,l soso ... I get a thicker lather with l'Occitane soap. Will be trying it again though.
I have a second unused puck of DaVinci, you can have it if you want to give it a try. Just PM me your address and I'll send it to you.
DaVinci is mainly a brush company, make-up brushes for the ladies (pretty expensive but well worth it according to my wife) and IMO the best badger hair shaving brushes around, beats the 4 I had before that (2 boar, 2 badger). I had been reading a bit on The Badger and Blade and found a thread there of some people claiming the same.
Mine is a 25mm silvertip by the way and the density is really high. Model 292, one of those with the classic white handles, I don't like the looks of the modern ones. Pretty hard to find the white ones.
Check their site, there's a video there on how the brushes are made. It's a German company by the way, not Italian.

I tried the l'Occitane shaving cream (tube) as well this week. Really good stuff, fantastic lather, thick and smooth. Still trying to decide between the cream and soap though.
Their Cade range is way better than the other ranges for shaving but not so good for the fragrance stuff. I bought a shower gel, deo and cologne (LoL  :wink:   ) from their Eau de Beaux range, smells a lot better than their Cade range. The shaving products of Cade have no particular smell though so that's fine.

Also bought me an el-cheapo Feather DE razor with Feather blades. Tried it for the first time yesterday. Not a perfect shave (some very close spots and some not close enough) and no cuts but some bleeding from the skin bursting open due to not being used to it, nothing that a splash of cold water and some aftershave couldn't fix. Mainly due to not knowing the technique well enough yet though. Very different from those multiblade cartridge razors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back