Shaving, gents
Oct 15, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #586 of 943
The GEM I shave with currently was from a travel kit, but the kit was pretty destroyed when I found it at an antique store.  The razor itself was in remarkable condition, I think the box was stored somewhere quite damp, but no rust anywhere on the razor.

If I get a job that allows more than my all too short weekends, I'll need to look around for a vintage kit.

I'll gladly buy as many as they'll sell me of those kits for $12 though
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #587 of 943
Quote:
The GEM I shave with currently was from a travel kit, but the kit was pretty destroyed when I found it at an antique store.  The razor itself was in remarkable condition, I think the box was stored somewhere quite damp, but no rust anywhere on the razor.

If I get a job that allows more than my all too short weekends, I'll need to look around for a vintage kit.

I'll gladly buy as many as they'll sell me of those kits for $12 though
wink.gif

$12 bucks sounds cheap now but if you adjust for inflation, that kit would sell for ~$170.00 now.

If it was in brand new shape, I'd pay $170 for one.

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #588 of 943
Quote:
Fantastic! Just what I needed to get into safety razors.

thanks a lot LFF
beerchug.gif

Sad to say that the gent who made those beautiful razors passed away earlier this year.  
frown.gif

His razors are now quite the coveted items.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #589 of 943
Quote:
So...do any of you gents have a travel shaving kit?

I have traveled with my DE, but don't have a special kit.  I took a tube of shaving cream, my DE razor, and my brush.  I wrapped the brush and razor in a washcloth, and then tucked them in my regular kit.  Worked fine.  If you're really worried about it, take the blade out first.  I didn't and didn't have trouble.

Brushes are tougher than they look, and as long as you don't leave them wrapped up, wet, for days they'll be fine.  I dried it off with a towel so it was only a little damp, wrapped it up, and was good to go.

I haven't managed to shave on the train yet, although I noticed the restrooms have a slot for razor blades.  I wonder how many they get these days.  :)  I don't think I'd be brave enough to shave with the DE on a moving train.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #590 of 943
Quote:

Sad to say that the gent who made those beautiful razors passed away earlier this year.  
frown.gif

His razors are now quite the coveted items.

Thanks for your reply. 

It's sad to hear, this man had such a talent...

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #591 of 943
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. 

It's sad to hear, this man had such a talent...

Indeed. I've been bummed since I heard about it. He was such a gentleman and a fair trader.

His passing brought a MAJOR loss of talent to the wet shaving community.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #592 of 943
So I've just got my new mühle r89, 5 derbys 5 wilkinsons and some cream.

I'm pretty satisfied with the razor, but I'm very disappointed by castle forbes sandalwood cream. I'm glad I've only bought it in travel size...

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #593 of 943
The travel size is a good way to try different creams, yes.  I've just bought the full sized tub of the Geo. F. Trumper's Violet cream, cause I've tried a bunch of the others and keep coming back to this one.

I was sick last week and hadn't shaved in five days.  Getting pretty beardy.  The old electric razor would have melted, but the DE had no trouble at all.  A new Feather blade, hot water, the trusty brush, and some cream, and I was good to go.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #594 of 943
Am waiting on an Edwin Jagger de89l which probably will arrive next week. Also ordered an Edwin Jagger best badger brush.

I am 19 years old and currently shaving with a gillette fusion(appeared for free in the mail one day...). When the canned shaving foam thingy were out mom recommended me to get something better for my skin so I bought American Crew Moisturizing Shave cream which gave better shaves with a completely worn out blade than the canned stuff did with a new one.

Looking forward to try out DE shaving. 

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #595 of 943
Am waiting on an Edwin Jagger de89l which probably will arrive next week. Also ordered an Edwin Jagger best badger brush.

I am 19 years old and currently shaving with a gillette fusion(appeared for free in the mail one day...). When the canned shaving foam thingy were out mom recommended me to get something better for my skin so I bought American Crew Moisturizing Shave cream which gave better shaves with a completely worn out blade than the canned stuff did with a new one.

Looking forward to try out DE shaving. 

Great ! What blades have you ordered? Keep us posted.

To everyone here :

I'm looking to buy a soap. something with a warm, spicy scent and some moisturizing properties.

What would you recommend to me?

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #596 of 943
Quote:
To everyone here :
I'm looking to buy a soap. something with a warm, spicy scent and some moisturizing properties.

5 Derby blades come with the razor and I have ordered a sample pack of ebay that probably will take a little longer than the razor to arrive.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #597 of 943
Package arrived today! First impression of the razor: Wow, quality..
If I'm not too lazy I'll probably take a shower soon and then try it out.

Edit: First shave accomplished! My best shave ever (If you count out the spots I missed..) even though my technique probably sucks. I did 2 passes, with and against and it is the first time I have gotten a silky smooth (to quote The Zohan) cheek.
Bye bye Gillette, never again...

Dilemma: Want to shave again but there's no beard to shave off :p

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #598 of 943
Quote:
Package arrived today! First impression of the razor: Wow, quality..
If I'm not too lazy I'll probably take a shower soon and then try it out.

Edit: First shave accomplished! My best shave ever (If you count out the spots I missed..) even though my technique probably sucks. I did 2 passes, with and against and it is the first time I have gotten a silky smooth (to quote The Zohan) cheek.
Bye bye Gillette, never again...

Dilemma: Want to shave again but there's no beard to shave off :p

Nice!  It is a funny feeling actually WANTING to get in and shave isn't it?  I only shave every 2nd or 3rd day but love doing so.  Even if I had a job that I had to be shaved every day, with the closeness from using a real razor I could easily get away with shaving only on Mon/Wed/Fri and looking fresh every day.

Quote:
To everyone here :

Check eBay for hand made soaps, they are a) super cheap b) tons of variety and c) most sellers will send you extras if you ask to try some of their other stuff.

I haven't looked in awhile but I got some for $2 each, cheap enough to toss out if you don't like it.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #599 of 943
I shaved with Taylor's jermyn street soap today... hmm, what a wonderful soap... gobs and gobs of thick, creamy lather.. and that scent..  

smile.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #600 of 943
Quote:

Nice!  It is a funny feeling actually WANTING to get in and shave isn't it?  I only shave every 2nd or 3rd day but love doing so.  Even if I had a job that I had to be shaved every day, with the closeness from using a real razor I could easily get away with shaving only on Mon/Wed/Fri and looking fresh every day.

Yeah, I have shaved more times in the last week than the last month :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back