Shaving, gents
Sep 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #451 of 943
I just ordered some basic (read: cheap) stuff to get into wet shaving. What do you all think of my decisions?

Merkur HD 34c
Proraso cream (green)
Tweezerman badger brush
Bloc Osma Alum
Merkur blades (would try feathers, but the reputed sharpness puts me off)
Nivea sensitive post-shave balm

I'm pretty sure I'm a rare breed of wet shaver (the under-20 crowd) getting started with this, but I'm looking forward to the experience.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #452 of 943
Prorasoo cream is still one of my favorites, great cream.

I'd get a sample pack of some different blades, it's very personal which blade suits you best and sample packs aren't very expensive.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #453 of 943
I was just looking at that - the Merkurs seem to be hit or miss based on preference. There are some good deals on them on eBay too, and just the sample packs alone could last a long time for not too much cash.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #454 of 943
I found it very usefull to use my pack

The Feather's reputed sharpness also made me think they weren't suited for me, but after trying about 10 blades, I found them to be my favorite actually.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #455 of 943
a straight blade is the most superior imo. you need someone to teach you how to use it to not result in serious injury. people that learn on their own are either lucky or not....... you would be surprised how many barber shops still exist that will be willing to teach anyone interested. de is much better than cartridge but straight is a big step above de. if it is used correctly. i have never used an electric razor once in my life! i am not kidding and i am elderly now.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #456 of 943
I taught myself to use a straight back in '93, before internet videos. The advice I got was to shave balloons. :D When you can shave one without popping it you're ready to go on. After mastering balloons, I shaved parts of my arms and legs. When that went well, I started shaving my face. I do like straights, however, the maintenance and upkeep take time and a shave lasts around 30 minutes. I can whack the beard out of existence in five minutes with a DE.

Maybe when I retire I'll get back into it.

Also, Feathers are great. I had a bad experience with them at first because my technique wasn't good enough. But now they're my favorites.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #457 of 943
`I did not start shaving daily until  my thirties. First wash face with warm and MILD face soap(ask your mother). Leave wet. Add Edge GEL cream. Any 2 or 3 multi blade will do. 5-blade is overkill and throwing away good $. At your age you will have soft and sensitive skin. Respect it. Use Edge gel.Girls love it.Wait till you are in your thirties for 5-blade. Shave down,up, R>L ,and L>R. Pay close attention to chin,under,adam's apple,and both sides. Finish with cold water. Dry throughly with clean towel.Don't mess with after shave unless you are a pimp,gay, latino,old sucker,or other creature. I am kidding.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #458 of 943
I still get a bit of irritation with my DE, though I'm still experimenting with how to get the best shave. I didn't realize how important it was to keep rinsing off the blade between strokes. I was too used to disposables where you only really have to rinse when it's becoming annoying. Rinsing regularly with a DE seems to give me a smoother shave. And I don't just mean closer, I mean the motion itself is smoother.

I'm now seriously considering getting my dad a kit for Christmas. He uses cheap disposables. I'm not sure he'd really be interested, though. Food for thought, at least.

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #459 of 943

Quote:
I still get a bit of irritation with my DE, though I'm still experimenting with how to get the best shave. I didn't realize how important it was to keep rinsing off the blade between strokes. I was too used to disposables where you only really have to rinse when it's becoming annoying. Rinsing regularly with a DE seems to give me a smoother shave. And I don't just mean closer, I mean the motion itself is smoother.

I'm now seriously considering getting my dad a kit for Christmas. He uses cheap disposables. I'm not sure he'd really be interested, though. Food for thought, at least.

How long have you been using? I get the same irritation after a shave, and when you get a little cologne/aftershave it stings a little. I like the pain
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #461 of 943

Quote:
How long have you been using? I get the same irritation after a shave, and when you get a little cologne/aftershave it stings a little. I like the pain
biggrin.gif

A month or two now? Not overly long. I don't use cologne or aftershave specifically because I don't want to add an irritant.

Quote:
Learn to strech your face.

I've always heard you do that with a straight edge but not a DE.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #462 of 943

Quote:
I just ordered some basic (read: cheap) stuff to get into wet shaving. What do you all think of my decisions?

Merkur HD 34c
Proraso cream (green)
Tweezerman badger brush
Bloc Osma Alum
Merkur blades (would try feathers, but the reputed sharpness puts me off)
Nivea sensitive post-shave balm

I'm pretty sure I'm a rare breed of wet shaver (the under-20 crowd) getting started with this, but I'm looking forward to the experience.

If you live in Europe you could try out theshavingshack.com . They have a multipack qith 4 different types of blades at a good price. That way you can find your own preferred brand. i went for the cheapest blades, but now I am a little unhappy about the durability. How is the durability of the feathers?

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #463 of 943
today shave of the day...

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #465 of 943
You should double-check that. If they actually put on the bottle that there are no animal products contained therein the FDA can force them to recall all of it as well as force them to pay damages. I know in some cases certain ingredients can be either animal, synthetic or something flora-based instead so unless all it says is not animal tested it's much more likely that they're telling the truth only because of the regulations of behind making such a claim.

Though, that all being said, I'm not so fussed about whether or not animal went into making something I use. I'm more interested in whether or not the creature was made to suffer to any great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back