Shaving, gents
Sep 3, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #437 of 943
i feel the badger is much better if it is a good one. sometimes their are decisions one has to make. even tough ones. i assure you they do not harm a horse unless it is dying naturally. they are too expensive. unfortunately badgers mean nothing to those that farm them. i wish he had not posted that video even though it is reality. i mean no offense but maybe the poster or a mod could remove it. i'd rather not see that here of all places. i suppose i just don't want to face the truth.

try van der hagen soap. 57 cents at walmart. it honestly performs like some $50 soaps. my experience at least. completely vegan,no testing and made in usa! how it is that price i will not ask. my problem with it is i cannot use it to the last drop but who really cares. it is 57 cents. it smells bad but just put a few drops of your favorite cologne on it.

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #438 of 943

Quote:
Look into horse hair brushes by Vie Long.

The are part of the natural grooming process and don't harm the animal. I have a Turkish Horse Hair brush no. 6 and it has become my favorite brush.

Here is a good site:

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/vica0prhohab.html

and here is where I got my No. 6 (best $3 I ever spent!):

http://shop.bestshave.net/wooden-handled-shaving-brushes-no6-p-67.html

That's a great suggestion! I'm going to order this for 3 bucks immediately...
Edit: it's sold out

So you actually prefer this over your (quiet more expensive) badgers? Animal friendly and good quality, sound like THE perfect deal.

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #439 of 943

Quote:
How does horse hair compare to badger hair for shaving brushes? I did a little looking around and it seems the best horse hair brushes only cost $30 or so which makes them rather inexpensive.

Horse hair was the traditional hair used in shaving brushes until there was an anthrax scare in the early part of the 1900's.

Horse hair feels like the best parts of a boar brush and badger brush put together.

Quote:
That's a great suggestion! I'm going to order this for 3 bucks immediately...
Edit: it's sold out

So you actually prefer this over your (quiet more expensive) badgers? Animal friendly and good quality, sound like THE perfect deal.

If the wooden one is sold out, get the one with the plastic handle. Same knot, different handle.

I actually do prefer it over my more expensive badgers. I haven't even touched any other brush since I got that Turkish brush. Nothing will touch the luxurious feel of a top notch badger brush BUT for all practical purposes, that cheap horse hair brush works wonders with both soaps and creams.

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #440 of 943
the van der hagen is actually pretty good. here is what you have to do. have a microwave safe dish. put it in on 20 seconds with a few drops of your favorite cologne. as it is used put it back in the micro sometimes for 7 seconds. after that it works darn good for a vegan soap that is 57 cents. i may get the horsehair brush. sure, the best badger is better but i feel really bad about it now that this has been brought up here. i mean i knew it at the time but i did not really think it over much. even if you are not a vegan i'd hope most people would agree cruelty to animals sucks. i really did not want to see that video.

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #441 of 943
There's a reason I didn't. It's the same reason I only eat free-range chicken when I can help it...

I saw the bit about the anthrax. I doubt that's a problem anymore. I'd feel rather bad about outright replacing my badger brush now. Would be a total waste so I'll keep using it but when the time comes to replace it I think horse hair sounds like a viable alternative.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with using animal-related products. It's all about responsibility.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #442 of 943

Quote:

If the wooden one is sold out, get the one with the plastic handle. Same knot, different handle.

I actually do prefer it over my more expensive badgers. I haven't even touched any other brush since I got that Turkish brush. Nothing will touch the luxurious feel of a top notch badger brush BUT for all practical purposes, that cheap horse hair brush works wonders with both soaps and creams.

Excellent, I've ordered both; the wooden one was available again today. I'd like something that works for face lathering in the shower as well as bowl lathering, sometimes I use cream, sometimes stick/soap, sometimes both. A good allrounder, nice for the animal and very nice for my wallet sounds like a dream deal. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #443 of 943
I was in LA over the weekend and got out the Fatboy. I had forgotten how good it is.

Lately, I've been using the Feather SS or Pils, but decided to give my first DE another try. Set at 3, it was more aggressive than the other two and wiped clean a few trouble spots. Hmm, I think I'll stick with it for awhile. It is giving me some wonderful shaves.

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #444 of 943
Just to note: I'm pretty sure that horse hair shaving brushes are from the horse tail. Just like the bowstrings on a violin! 

They don't kill the horse for that 
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #445 of 943

Quote:
Just to note: I'm pretty sure that horse hair shaving brushes are from the horse tail. Just like the bowstrings on a violin! 

They don't kill the horse for that 
biggrin.gif

They are made from grooming the tail and the mane. The brushes usually consist of 50% mane hair and 50% tail hair.

Of course...the horse remains alive and happy during all that time.

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #446 of 943
this is the exact opposite. horses are actually happy to be groomed. trust me i know lol. you don't kill a horse unless it is dying on it's own. they are too expensive. luckily they have that going for them. farmers for profit rarely care about animals other than a bull and a horse. i don't know about a horse brush but a boar brush is not even close to high mountain badger or even silver tip. i think i better use mine anyways because it would be even more wrong imo to shelf it.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #450 of 943
too much information
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back