Shaving, gents
Jul 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #391 of 943

Merkur Progress / Simpson Special S1B / Palmolive shave cream / Tabac ASL

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #393 of 943

Quote:
Just got another awesome shave with my trusty trio.

I am wondering...how many of you gents shave against the grain to get that ultimate BBS shave every time you shave?

I for one, don't always shave against the grain unless it's a special night or occasion. Usually I do two passes - one down, one sideways - and that gets me near BBS for the most part. How about you guys?

I usually do the same and for the most part I do two passes unless I have time for a third or not lazy which usually means I do two passes. The first one down and the other sideways and it gives me a pretty nice shave. I don't shave ATG unless I have some kind of event to go to.

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #395 of 943

Quote:
there is no reason for you to have 5 blades. It's beyond excessive.

Fixed for accuracy of statement. As someone who's made a career in the marketing industry, I can tell you that five blades has a lot more to do with marketing and a lot less to do with quality of shave.

"Look, this one has five blades!" Dara O'Briain has this wonderful bit about razors, kind of sums it all up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WvgH-MP87A

By the way, the 360p stream is out of sync, use the 240p stream.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #396 of 943
Yeah...these 5 blades modern systems are all about using brute force to rip out your whiskers. It's a barbaric way of shaving and not only that but to add insult to injury...they are very expensive.

I've been trying to get my dad to convert to wet shaving but he just refuses. Says wet shaving takes too long. Despite that, every couple of weeks I get to hear him bitch about the prices of cartridges. I've been wet shaving for over two years now and in that time I have used up 21 blades that cost about 8 cents each! That's $1.68 in new blades in two years vs $25 for 8 cartridges that last 8 weeks. Hmmmmm.....
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #398 of 943
I can't get my father to convert, either. Seems he had a bad experience Back In The Day and my razors make him cringe. Haven't been able to get him to use a good soap, either. He's used Noxzema in a can for something like 50 years now. He was happy when I made the full coversion to DE, since I gave him my stockpile of cartridges and handles. Oh well. At least they got used.

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #399 of 943

Quote:
I can't get my father to convert, either. Seems he had a bad experience Back In The Day and my razors make him cringe. Haven't been able to get him to use a good soap, either. He's used Noxzema in a can for something like 50 years now. He was happy when I made the full coversion to DE, since I gave him my stockpile of cartridges and handles. Oh well. At least they got used.

LOL! My dad cringes every time he sees my razors too!!

He also questions me with things like "So...this soap really works better than gel?" or "You really never cut yourself with these things?" and my favorite "So these things are still being made?".

I'm guessing a lot of people had bad experiences with DE's and hence the resistance by some people to go back to older, proven methods. I've even been toying with the idea of getting a straight and learning to shave like a real man. Don't get me wrong, DE's and SE's are manly but the straight is just manlier. What keeps me on the edge (no pun intended) is the initial start up cost. DE's, especially my Fatboy and Fat Handled Tech, give me awesome shaves so I don't find the need to "upgrade".

A lot of people on the shaving forums seem to be hoarding and fearing the downfall of DE and SE shaving but I doubt that is ever going to happen. If it hasn't happened in the past 30 years, it certainly won't happen in the next 30.

Jul 24, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #400 of 943

Quote:
LOL! My dad cringes every time he sees my razors too!!

He also questions me with things like "So...this soap really works better than gel?" or "You really never cut yourself with these things?" and my favorite "So these things are still being made?".

I'm guessing a lot of people had bad experiences with DE's and hence the resistance by some people to go back to older, proven methods. I've even been toying with the idea of getting a straight and learning to shave like a real man. Don't get me wrong, DE's and SE's are manly but the straight is just manlier. What keeps me on the edge (no pun intended) is the initial start up cost. DE's, especially my Fatboy and Fat Handled Tech, give me awesome shaves so I don't find the need to "upgrade".

A lot of people on the shaving forums seem to be hoarding and fearing the downfall of DE and SE shaving but I doubt that is ever going to happen. If it hasn't happened in the past 30 years, it certainly won't happen in the next 30.

Thats the same response i get every once in a while. Just because my first shave with a DE, it showed my skin dot things, and my parents said the same thing except it was "this is why they dont make them anymore."

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #401 of 943

Quote:
Thats the same response i get every once in a while. Just because my first shave with a DE, it showed my skin dot things, and my parents said the same thing except it was "this is why they dont make them anymore."

Sounds like you got an aggressive first shave. LOL!

My first DE shave back in 2006 was great. I had read a bit here and there and basically knew the routine and how to go about doing it. It was just awesome.

Worst shave was a night when I was going through my first pass after taking a hot, hot shower. As I went down on my cheek area I accidentally stepped on something that poked my foot (turned out to be a bobby pin) and naturally turned my head. The razor wasn't far enough and the corner of it managed to dig into my chin like a hot knife through butter. I got a lot of blood over the counter, floor and sink. It hurt like hell and took months to heal. Thankfully it didn't leave a battle scar. After that I went back to using disposables for a few months and completely went back to DE shaving about 2.5 years ago.

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #402 of 943

Quote:
Yeah...these 5 blades modern systems are all about using brute force to rip out your whiskers. It's a barbaric way of shaving and not only that but to add insult to injury...they are very expensive.

I've been trying to get my dad to convert to wet shaving but he just refuses. Says wet shaving takes too long. Despite that, every couple of weeks I get to hear him bitch about the prices of cartridges. I've been wet shaving for over two years now and in that time I have used up 21 blades that cost about 8 cents each! That's $1.68 in new blades in two years vs $25 for 8 cartridges that last 8 weeks. Hmmmmm.....
evil_smiley.gif

How many shaves do you do with one blade?
blink.gif

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #403 of 943

Quote:
How many shaves do you do with one blade?
blink.gif

At the very least I get 7 - 8. If I take care of my blade (wash it, strop it, clean it) I get between 12 - 16.

I don't have a peach fuzz beard either. I'd say my whiskers are of a medium thickness...enough for my wife to complain if I haven't shaved. If I have a 2 pass shave, I can shave one day on and one day off - aka - every other day. If I shave against the grain and give myself a total BBS, I can go three days without shaving.

EDIT: Those 21 blades have been Derby blades.

I just ordered 100 new Shark blades to try something new.

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #404 of 943
^ you're doing good man

I had my 2nd shave with the Derby from my sample pack yesterday and really had an off day with it; cut myself and had a lot of irritation. Somehow with most blades I used, they only seem sharp enough the first time (only the feathers, which were sharp 2 times).

I'm probably doing something wrong, technique or something. 

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #405 of 943
Weekend shave with a straight razor...

Feather Artist Club DX Special / Omega 6551 Silvertip / Palmolive shave cream / English Blazer ASL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back