Shaving, gents
May 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #316 of 943

Quote:
I did get a good shave last night, still not BBS, but very good with almost no irritation. After putting witch hazel on, I had more burning on areas of my cheeks that hadn't been shaved than where I had just shaved.

Yup...sounds like me. Try the cooling blue Aqua Velva. I found that ladies love the smell so long as you don't tell them it's Aqua Velva. Much like Old Spice, something about "my dad used that" turns them off. Also, if you're not a fan of the smell, don't worry as it doesn't linger for too long.

Try to follow the after shave balm with a good moisturizing lotion.

Another thing I do is before I shave is that I sterilize my DE blade either with a candle or with some alcohol.

May 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #317 of 943
Good advice, I will have to start dipping the blade in Alcohol before doing any shaving.

Anyone have any recommendations for good shave balms (besides the Nivea) that are affordable and easy to find?

LFF, you use a balm then a moisturizer too? That seems like a lot to put on my face, especially right after shaving. I guess I will have to suck it up and grab a bottle of Ice Blue AV. I had been trying to find one of the smaller bottles of the Ice Blue to try out, but it seems like only the Musk comes in the smaller cheaper bottle.

May 7, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #318 of 943
For aftershave, I still prefer witch hazel. There are some expensive ones, but the $1.25 stuff at CVS works great.

If you want to spend a little money on a balm, try Alt-Innsbruck. I love Alt-Innsbruck! It's a blend of tobacco and menthol; they make both a balm and an aftershave.

Alt-Innsbruck is a blend of tobacco and menthol. The menthol cools down quickly, leaving the scent of freshly pressed tobacco leaves. No, it does not smell like smoke, it smells like a tobacco plant. It's a natural scent, too, nothing synthetic about it and it is completely different from the aquatic-smelling stuff in department stores.

It is one of few scents that lasts a good 24 hours on me and it almost always draws compliments, too. :)

I don't know if it'll play well with your personal chemistry, so get a sample first. You should be able to find one at Bullgoose and Phil is a hell of a nice guy, too. :)

May 7, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #319 of 943

Quote:
LFF, you use a balm then a moisturizer too? That seems like a lot to put on my face, especially right after shaving. I guess I will have to suck it up and grab a bottle of Ice Blue AV. I had been trying to find one of the smaller bottles of the Ice Blue to try out, but it seems like only the Musk comes in the smaller cheaper bottle.

Yes. I splash cold water on. Pat Dry. Apply Aqua Velva. Let dry. Apply my DIY natural balm. Let dry while I continue my morning routine (breakfast, take dogs out to pee, etc). Right before I leave and after balm is dry, apply small amount of moisturizer to face and shaved area, cologne to chest and neck area if required. Enjoy your day.

Quote:
For aftershave, I still prefer witch hazel. There are some expensive ones, but the $1.25 stuff at CVS works great.

If you want to spend a little money on a balm, try Alt-Innsbruck. I love Alt-Innsbruck! It's a blend of tobacco and menthol; they make both a balm and an aftershave.

Alt-Innsbruck is a blend of tobacco and menthol. The menthol cools down quickly, leaving the scent of freshly pressed tobacco leaves. No, it does not smell like smoke, it smells like a tobacco plant. It's a natural scent, too, nothing synthetic about it and it is completely different from the aquatic-smelling stuff in department stores.

It is one of few scents that lasts a good 24 hours on me and it almost always draws compliments, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know if it'll play well with your personal chemistry, so get a sample first. You should be able to find one at Bullgoose and Phil is a hell of a nice guy, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Witch Hazel is great for a non-important day for me and yes, I also use the cheap CVS stuff. However, I love the cold feeling of Aqua Velva.

That tabacco and menthol Alt-Innsbruck sound nice. I think I might have to pick that up when I see it.

May 7, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #320 of 943
Hmmm, all this post-match treatment...

I tend not to, apart from applying tourniquets and slapping in an IV if if I'm feeling faint.

Aftershave is avoided, because it always (for me) feels like a beard of (late autumn, bad attitude) wasps. And you get the urge to say "Giggedy-giggedy" and wear leisure suits and medallions.

Today's tinkering resulted in the Royal and Ancient Sony MDR CD470s being rescued from the scrap heap. (Now doing computer duty.)

Enamelled copper wire - work of the devil. And shockingly flimsy. I was expecting to find some big wire in there...

You'd almost imagine they did it to make buying a new set a realistic alternative to soldering on a non-banana-ed (don't ask) 3.5mm plug...

May 8, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #321 of 943
I just had to jump in here and say... I'm slowly but surely upgrading the "quality" of the more important things in my life after becoming an audiophile. Logic being if I can pay more and get that much better of an experience why not? To that end... Starting to think of upgrading to a safety-razor. I keep hearing about them and short of a straight-edge they're supposed to be the best shave you can get.

I would not, however, trust myself with a straight-edge. No matter how bad-ass it would make me look. "You shave with that little plastic thingy? I shave with this!" *Whips out a 6-inch blade* "All a man really needs is one, good blade."

May 9, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #322 of 943
When you know how to use one (A cut throat), its stunning. The Mach 3's and wilkinson quattro's are great for convenience, but I seem to get a closer shave etc. with a single blade cut throat. Only used a cut throat (that you have to sharpen etc a few times and it is an experience in itself, but for day to day - or every 3 days in reality i just use a wilkinson sword blade in a Dovo Shavette. the blade lasts approx 3-4 beard shape ups, or 2 proper shaves. they aint tooo expensive so i dont mind using a new one more regularly than I have to. I mean £3.50 gets me 30 odd shaves. (Also with a cut throat, the accuracy you can get should you want to keep a full beard is brilliant).

Now, lets start on the arguments on whether to go with the grain or against :p I go against. No, my beard doesent start growing in all sorts of directions but I do keep it fairly short. Size 2 or 3 (usually 3)  on a phillps trimmer. Anyone noticed a difference? my barber said go with the grain the against, any other suggestions?

May 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #323 of 943
Hahaha thanks for this I am only 21 and my facial hair is really thick and grows pretty quick. So I shave everyday and am tired of mach3 and all that stuff so I went to this site and sprung for a whole safety razor kit including the badger brush, cup and soap. Thanks again.

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you pick up your straight edge razor? I have been interested in these ever since I got a haircut in my youth from a barber who would shave the back of your neck (below the hair line) with a straight edge. it seemed like it worked real well. Plus watching the guy 'sharpen' the blade on a leather 'belt' was pretty cool. I have heard the only thing closer is a 'fire shave' where they actually burn the stubble off your face with what looks like a mini torch from back in history.

This place sells em, but I don't know much about single edges, just been looking at there double edges and brushes.

May 10, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #324 of 943
Doug

"...Logic being if I can pay more and get that much better of an experience why not?..."

With DEs, you end up spending less :)

On a personal note, I like old DEs. Definitely qualifies on the "finer thing" criterion.

An old Gillette looks and feels like it has been carved out of a billet, and even after umpteen years, the Thunderbirds doors mechanism still works like new. Also ideal for learners, as you really have to go a considerable distance out of your way to injure yourself seriously.    

May 10, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #325 of 943
Oh, I know. I read this great article... Think it was The New Yorker? The guy went into detail about it. The big thing that surprised me was that while it's a lot more out of pocket to start with ($100+ vs. $30 for gel and a razor), every subsequent purchase is in the safety-razer's favor. $5 for 50 new blades vs. $20 for 5. Shaving gel every couple of months or shaving soap every year. The only area the safety razers lose out is time. You can ham-fist your way through a crappy shave with a disposable in 5 minutes. It's supposed to be longer with a safety razor.

Though, to be honest, that doesn't bother me. I'm thinking a safety razer kit is going to be my house-warming gift to myself.

May 11, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #327 of 943
David, for those of us rapidly approaching middle age, a little aftershave and giggity make me happy. Being a dirty old man has its rewards. :)

Doug, the time spent on DE shaving decreases with experience. There is a learning curve, for sure, but you'll be able to knock off a good shave in 5 minutes when you've been doing it for awhile. Much better than a disposable or cartridge, too.

May 12, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #328 of 943
Granted.

However I still draw the line at leisure suits and cravats / ascots. Utterly discredited, except when ALF wears one.

(And I wouldn't worry about middle age. I find it is always at least 20 years off and governed by Hubble's Law.)

May 12, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #329 of 943
What forms of facial moisturizers are people here using? I would like something non-greasy preferably.

Since I shave at night now after showering, I have been doing a witch hazel, Nivea shave balm, and a light coat of Cetaphil before bed routine, but maybe moisturizing in the morning would help my skin some more.

LFF, you talked about your natural, DIY balm, whats in that if you don't mind me asking?

May 12, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #330 of 943
I've wanted to try some of the Burt's Bees stuff, actually. I like the fact that it's all-natural and the other stuff of theirs I've used I've been pretty pleased with. They have the only lip balm that doesn't feel waxy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back