Shaving, gents
Apr 30, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #31 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just smash a beer bottle from the last nights boozing open on the edge of the sink and rasp it over my face.

Because you're not hardcore unless you live hardcore. That, Duggeh, is hardcore. I wonder if the "bottoms" help soothe your skin?
wink.gif

I don't shave anymore. I have a hair shaver which I use every other day and it allows for a perpetual state of scruffiness. Used to use a legitimate electric razor, but I left it with my innocence in Kingston one summer and haven't gone out to buy a new one since.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #32 of 943
the mach3 is a good razor.

for shaving i would suggest a few tips:
- let your beard grow a little and examine the directions the whiskers grow. for example, on your neck some whiskers grow down while others sideways.
- one you are familiar with how your beard grows, shave in the direction your whiskers are growing.
- use a light touch, rinse the razor every pass, and don't miss a spot!

if i do not shave this way i get razor burn and ingrown whiskers (ouch!)

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #33 of 943
Quote:

On weekends and vacations, I usually turn to the '59 Gillette Fatboy my grandfather gave me. I've had it since I was 14-15 or so and I've kept it. It gets boiled every so often and is kept clean. I like the Merkur blades, but have used a few others. I'll lather up with a brush and mug and take my time. I really enjoy this, especially because the razor gets warm from the water and it feels great. If only I had time to do this every morning.

Once again Uncle Erik posts a very informative reply. A nice sharp blade and a weighted razor will allow the blade to just glide down your face without having to apply pressure which is bad. Edge gel is not that great for your face. It is better to use a brush and good shaving cream or soap.

There is even a forum just on shaving called shavemyface.com I believe.

Apr 30, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #34 of 943
just got a Braun 7505 electric razor for a graduation present from university, since now i start a job requiring daily shaving, and my face gets torn up with a blade if i use it daily. So far it is an excellent electric, best I have used, and I have tried a cheapo Phillips, and my fathers 15 year or so old Braun. A recommended electric for those that cant use a blade everyday, but have to shave everyday.

Apr 30, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #35 of 943
I have lots of things I like to do with my time, and shaving just isn't one of them. Mach 3, gillette gel, tons of force and as quick as possible. I've never cut myself, so long as I always shave AFTER the shower, or at the very least during it. If you don't shower, don't shave.

Apr 30, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #36 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have lots of things I like to do with my time, and shaving just isn't one of them. Mach 3, gillette gel, tons of force and as quick as possible. I've never cut myself, so long as I always shave AFTER the shower, or at the very least during it. If you don't shower, don't shave.

x2 (except, without the tons of force :p)

Apr 30, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #38 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
although I do shave my neck as I hate neck hair.

You know what's really cool? Just keeping the neckhair there and shaving the rest. The old neck-warmer is the winner.

I use a Mach 3 with whatever cream / gel Mum gets me. I'm not even sure how anyone manages to cut themselves with a mach3 or better.

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #39 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got a Braun 7505 electric razor for a graduation present from university, since now i start a job requiring daily shaving, and my face gets torn up with a blade if i use it daily. So far it is an excellent electric, best I have used, and I have tried a cheapo Phillips, and my fathers 15 year or so old Braun. A recommended electric for those that cant use a blade everyday, but have to shave everyday.

I've tried many electric razors and settled in the same one you use. I use mine every other day with some pre-electric shave stuff (probably should go everyday, since I have a medium-heavy beard). It gives me the best shave with the least irritation of all the electrics I've used.

For my noggin I use nothing but a Mach3 Turbo and edge gel, once per week

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #40 of 943
It perhaps merits a separate thread, but ill throw it in here as the topic is similar. What toothpaste do you all use? I use Euthymol traditional toothpaste, which is one of the few ones about with no fluoride in it.

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #41 of 943
I use a electric shaver...from the 90s. I use Walgreens pre-shave, pretty much pure alcohol.

And Duggeh, I use Crest Pro-Health.

May 1, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #42 of 943
I use a double-edge Merkur razor when I have the time, and a electric Panasonic on the run.

As for toothpaste, I use the Tom's of Maine toothpaste from Trader Joe's.

May 1, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #43 of 943
I use a Norelco/Phillips coolskin electric razor for everyday regular shaving. I shave in the shower and use the nivea lotion specific for the machine.

When I want a beter shave(normally when I go out at night or if I just want to trim sideburns), I use a gillete mach3 with nivea sensitive cream. I use nivea ensitive lotion for after shave.

May 1, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #45 of 943
Just the other day I decided to retire my Gillette Fusion after I went to pick up some more cartridges and realized that either Gillette hiked their prices or I've been paying way too much for these things for the last 10 months. $17.49 for four cartridges that go dull in mere minutes? No thanks!

I did pick up a Shick Quattro Power razor to go along with my Quattro Titanium because it cost as much as four cartridges but had five in the package along with the razor itself, and it can take the Titanium blades I have anyways. So now I'm going Shick all the way - the Quattro Titanium cartridges really do last for a very long time, and that vibrating razor definitely makes for a more comfortable shave.

As far as shaving cream goes, I've been using this Alba Botanica "moisturizing shave cream" and really, really like it. Much better than any foaming shaving cream I've ever used; the razor glides a bit better and it doesn't dry out my skin at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back