Shaving, gents
Jun 25, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #842 of 943
Jun 26, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #844 of 943
You can strop it just as a western razor - strop it more on one side than the other to account for the asymmetrical edge if you like.

Honing is a bit more of a pain in the butt - also because of the asymmetry. I still have one which I almost never use because the honing got on my nerves. I think it was something like 2 strokes to 5, but it has been a very long time since I put it to stone.

The kamisori scale-less handle with a symmetric edge is the way to go in my opinion. I'm sure you'll love your razor.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #845 of 943
You can strop it just as a western razor - strop it more on one side than the other to account for the asymmetrical edge if you like.

Honing is a bit more of a pain in the butt - also because of the asymmetry. I still have one which I almost never use because the honing got on my nerves. I think it was something like 2 strokes to 5, but it has been a very long time since I put it to stone.

The kamisori scale-less handle with a symmetric edge is the way to go in my opinion. I'm sure you'll love your razor.

Ok, it makes perfect sense. Thanks for your reply !

Jun 28, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #846 of 943
Anyone a fan of the latest synthetic brushes (Muhle V2)?

I've read a lot of good things about both the Black Fibre and SilverTip Fibre but interestingly, also a comment that they're now pretty close to each other in terms of feel, backbone etc.

Has anyone tried both? I was considering buying one of each, are they now too similar?

Jun 28, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #847 of 943
  Anyone a fan of the latest synthetic brushes (Muhle V2)?

I've read a lot of good things about both the Black Fibre and SilverTip Fibre but interestingly, also a comment that they're now pretty close to each other in terms of feel, backbone etc.

Has anyone tried both? I was considering buying one of each, are they now too similar?

Didn't you already have a BlackFibre ?

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #848 of 943
Yes but the HJM was (and I think still is) a V1 Black Fibre. I'm led to believe there's notable difference between V1 and V2 for both Black Fibre and SilverTip Fibre. I was wondering how the new Black Fibre and SilverTip Fibre differ as apparently there's now not much in it.

(Over the last 2-3 years, the Black Fibre brushes have become shorter, so there are definite differences to the older ones.)

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #850 of 943
Would you mind sharing where you acquired your kamisori from?
And how steep have you found the learning curve to be?

I got it from aframestokyo.com

It's a 50mm Sweden steel version.

I've actually only tried to use my Kamisori once, this is because I find the Kamisori is awkward to use because it's for right handed and I'm left., that's why I'm in the process of having a western style straight razor being made but with a Japanese style handle.
When I get the western straight razor I'll probably never try and use the kamisori again, even though I think it feels amazing to hold, plus IMO it's a thing of beauty.

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #851 of 943
I just want to make anyone that's thinking on ordering an Iwasaki Kamisori via Aframestokyo aware, that ATM they're out of stock, and when I ordered the one I have, I had to wait for about 4 months. This is because there are only so many made within a certain time.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #852 of 943
I received an Email today from TC who did the custom straight razor for me.
In that Email are some photos of that razor but because I'm not computer savvy I don't know how to get those photos from that Email onto head-fi. 
So because I know how to post the photos I've taken onto head-fi, I decided to take photos of those photos via my computer screen.

Here are three photos which aren't that good in quality because they are of my computer screen, but the custom straight razor can still be made out.

The wood is Black Ebony and Amboyna Burl.

I'll be taking some more photos when I receive it.

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #854 of 943
OSX should have something, too...although I might only be assuming that.

No, you're right
smily_headphones1.gif
!

Fantastic razor David ! That's a full holloaw ground, have you ever considered giving wedges a go ?

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #855 of 943
Are you in Windows 7 (or later)? Because you should have a snipping tool that you can use to take screenshots. OSX should have something, too...although I might only be assuming that.

My computer is an iMac. I guess I should learn a bit more on how to use it, but in the meantime I'll wait until I receive the razor then I'll post hopefully better photos.

Thank you customcoco.
I'm new to straight razors so sorry but what is or are wedges ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back