Sharp SACD player on ebay!
Aug 13, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #16 of 51
You're absolutely right. They were all the same names as on the Sharp amp. Makes me wonder though. Are we a bunch of mutants running so far against the grain that we are just creating our own parallel universe. Noone else, here or on other so-called audiophile sites, seems to care for either this amp or the cd player.

Aug 13, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #17 of 51
I think that could be a matter of a couple things, one being that Sharp is mostly known for microwaves and such and two that their high end products were not widely listened to or distributed enough to be listened to at their price points. A prime example is the sheer lack of information available in a web search (besides the reviews you found).

For a couple hundred bucks I got an awesome headphone amp, wish I had something to compare it with to see just where it falls compared to others. I have it set up for "105-115" to be the right listening level for me. Their loss our gain, whichever universe we're in.

I think too that those same bidders on both most likely are members here, certainly the only way I would have ever found them, thanks to you!

Aug 13, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by theaudiohobby
Sorry for butting in, I had to register and to join in this discussion to prevent you from missing on what is an outstanding player. The Sharp SACD when it was released was one of the best SACD Players on the market, comparing favourably with the SCD1 and the Marantz SA-1 .

Are there any reviews available for this player? I've never seen one, but it sure sounds interesting.

Aug 13, 2003 at 2:22 PM Post #21 of 51
That sounds like something I would like to do but will have to wait a bit since I just ordered..... drumroll please..... AKG K1000's.

I couldn't resist and it seemed like the thing to do while I have my coffee after staying up all night reading everything I could about them. Hopefully will be a good match with the SM-SX1.

I am hoping to snag a Sharp SACD to complete this setup (for now) until then, just using a Sony SACD/DVD combo unit. Will see how all plays out in the coming weeks.

Have to start making my new cable for the K1000's

I would be curious for you to use one of my amp to headphone cables and compare SM-SX1 with your tube amp. I could never decide which amp to get so I didn't and went the SM-SX1 route so I don't have any thing to compare.

Aug 13, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #22 of 51
Those were interesting writeups, particularly John Kotches'.

Kartik (or anyone), please buy this and post review for us!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Xanadu777
That sounds like something I would like to do but will have to wait a bit since I just ordered..... drumroll please..... AKG K1000's.

I couldn't resist and it seemed like the thing to do while I have my coffee after staying up all night reading everything I could about them. Hopefully will be a good match with the SM-SX1.

I am hoping to snag a Sharp SACD to complete this setup (for now) until then, just using a Sony SACD/DVD combo unit. Will see how all plays out in the coming weeks.

Have to start making my new cable for the K1000's

I would be curious for you to use one of my amp to headphone cables and compare SM-SX1 with your tube amp. I could never decide which amp to get so I didn't and went the SM-SX1 route so I don't have any thing to compare.

Whoah Xanadu, way to go man. The amp + the K1000s sound like a deadly combo. Rather than having to try your cable to a/b the amp I can try to find a way to go from the speaker out to an RCA-headphone adaptor that I have. I think there must be some way of doing that. I will use the same cables to test the headphone amp. In any case just passing through the ADDAC via the analog input and outputs the sound is much better than directly from the source. If only the tube amp had been more portable, I'd have sent it to you to test against the sharp amp. As is it weighs 30lbs before packing and I dread the prospect of it leaving my eyesight.
Ramblings aside, many congratulations on your purchase. Once the headphones get in, you should give us an absolute review about how this combo sounds to you, irrespective of the fact whether you are comparing it to anything else.

Aug 13, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #24 of 51
Hopefully they will be here by the weekend but next week more likely.

You can hook your 325's directly to the amp with your adapters but you will have plenty of noise and will need to keep the volume below 25-35 max. To get it to work properly (with no noise, dead silence) you will need to build a cable with resistors, a 20 WW 10w and 2 ohm for each side wired a certain way.

With all the noise you can't make a comparison cause the noise is too harsh to go unoticed.

Aug 13, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #25 of 51
Hmmm. That sounds complicated. Where would I get the stuff you mentioned. I am not good with electronics so I'm not sure how I would do that.

Aug 13, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #26 of 51
Sad, but true. The last of the Sharp Amp-DACs from the sharp factory outlet have sold out. the last one went for $255.

Aug 14, 2003 at 7:09 AM Post #27 of 51
Actually it went for 310.11 and I lost by a c-hair cuz I wasn't home but at least I got 3 of them. One to keep, 2 to sell/trade whatever. Suddenly their value has jumped cuz where is a person to get one now for that kind of price, mmmrrrahahaha....

ETA 8/19 on K1000's.... Amp to headphone cable requires some sodering and 9 parts from RatioShock.... LMK if want further details or I could loan you one with the option of buying or sending back or don't do anything but say you did...

Aug 14, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #28 of 51
I don't mind buying the cables. How much?
On another note: You greedy chap, you! How can you hoard these amps like this? These are a public resource. I'm going to rat you out to the justice department that you are trying to monopolize the sharp amp market
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #29 of 51
Hi,

That was me that beat you out for the amp. I figure that any amp that once sold for $4500 and is going for $300 is worth buying. I was wondering how high I would have to go however. I started to get very concerned at $305. (<:

Pete

Aug 14, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #30 of 51
And now the Sharp amp is on Audiogon for $1750, days after it stopped showing up on Ebay
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back