Share your opinions on Absinthe
Mar 24, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #16 of 23
Tasty! Though not much different than regular alcohol. If you want a psychedelic experience, look elsewhere.

If you want to know more, I enjoyed this book:

Amazon.com: The Book of Absinthe: A Cultural History: Phil Baker: Books

And this is a terrific resource:

Absinthe at la Fée Verte's Absinthe House: Established 1997

Anyone else visit the Old Absinthe House on Bourbon Street (The Old Absinthe House ~ Rue Bourbon)? I didn't see any absinthe there, but I enjoyed several pints of Abita. I really should go back.

Mar 24, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #17 of 23
Modern distilled absinth is actually absinth extract. "Real absinth" is still forbidden as far as I know. I did a bit of study about it in college for a subject.

To put it simple, there is a substance in absinth that will damage brain cells, similar to the wine produced with some grape varieties. These wines, similar to absinth have a small percentage of metanol, an alcool which is known to be harmful to humans.(metanol is the fuel of dragsters, you don't want to drink that do you?) In the case of absinth is not metanol, it is thujone. Furthermore, the herbs used in the production of absinth have relaxing as well as stimulating efects, which also adds to the confusion.

There is much controversy about absinth, specially after this study where a researcher compared thujone with THC, the active substance of Marijuana.

But don't be alarmed, all "absinths" are as harmfull as any other liquor, they're made with distilled herbs. No psicadelic effects, just lots of alcool percentage.

Mar 24, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #18 of 23
It was described as anise smelling/tasting to me by my friends. A quick sniff of it, seemed to remind me of anise, so I passed. Really dislike anise.

Though...I think I could use some right now. Just hugely failed at backing up my laptop's hdd (which failed tonight). I'm at newb at linux/knoppix. Realized knoppix didn't copy the files with Asian charcters either in the folder/file name and already started the format of my laptop hdd.

Hope I can get the imported CD's locally, shipping is not friendly usually.

Mar 24, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it did taste overly sweet and harsh, but it was a pretty nice night at the end, like it usually is.
smily_headphones1.gif

+1
cool.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #20 of 23
Well my wife got me two bottles of it for my birthday last year from Germany. Strong stuff...and she bought me the glasses and spoons plus sugar cubes to go with it. I didn't get "high" but I did get drunk.

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, the effects of wormwood are very subtle - to the point of being non-existent if in a certain frame of mind, or if you are looking for it (to some degree). Most people seem to drink Absinthe to 'trip' or get high, but it isn't that sort of effect. Bit more like getting drunk without the same 'headdiness', and with a bit of added relaxation. Something like a big night of drinking and a (small) toke or two along the way.

So in that sense, I guess Absinthe could be considered 'overrated' as others have suggested.

Nicely put. I can say it certainly wasn't like psylocibin or anything of that calibre, which is what I was expecting really, but your definition sounds a lot more realistic.

Quote:

Modern distilled absinth is actually absinth extract. "Real absinth" is still forbidden as far as I know. I did a bit of study about it in college for a subject.

By your definition, where's the distinction?

The absinthe I had contained infusions of wormwood in it, so is that the real absinthe?

It should also be mentioned that the legality of absinthe is only challenged in some select countries. Perfectly legal over here.

Quote:

To put it simple, there is a substance in absinth that will damage brain cells, similar to the wine produced with some grape varieties. These wines, similar to absinth have a small percentage of metanol, an alcool which is known to be harmful to humans.(metanol is the fuel of dragsters, you don't want to drink that do you?) In the case of absinth is not metanol, it is thujone. Furthermore, the herbs used in the production of absinth have relaxing as well as stimulating efects, which also adds to the confusion.

I think this is slightly incorrect - thujone doesn't kill brain cells, nor is it like methanol.

At highish doses, it's a convulsant, and can kill you for sure - but in absinthe, you'd die from alcohol poisoning before a thujone fit

It also certainly isn't like THC (stimulates different receptors), and as for the distilled herbs comment, just because it's a plant, doesn't mean it's not an entheogen - you'll find that most of them are a variation of plants or fungi.

There is much controversy about absinth, specially after this study where a researcher compared thujone with THC, the active substance of Marijuana.

But don't be alarmed, all "absinths" are as harmfull as any other liquor, they're made with distilled herbs. No psicadelic effects, just lots of alcool percentage.[/quote]

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #23 of 23
I think most of the rumors come from old anti-alcohol propaganda from early last century.
As to the legal status, I'm fairly sure it's always been legal to possess and consume, and the restrictions on selling it (in the US) were relaxed last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back