Shanling UP5 - Our new flagship portable Bluetooth DAC/AMP
Aug 5, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #166 of 975
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 6, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #167 of 975
Why would you keep including a defective codec into new hardware products? MQA has been independently analyzed and measured and shown to produce worse than lossless output, never mind the "studio master quality" it was falsely promising. You could've made your product more affordable if you hadn't integrated this MQA scam into it.
And that's the point, Why do scams work? Because the target customers buy them. And now that there is large pool of consumers who have bought the lie, ESS, shanling and others have to include it so as to not lose sales - the Inclusion of MQA capability has no ill effect on those of us who could care less about it.

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #170 of 975
Other than increased product price due to licensing...
Pretty sure the license already come with the DAC/amp chip by default and there shouldn't be any extra cost involved.

Aug 7, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #171 of 975
Pretty sure the license already come with the DAC/amp chip by default and there shouldn't be any extra cost involved.
So the chip provider did not raise the price? I bet they did! The consumer always pay for it in the end.

MQA is a scam and there's not much we can do about i. Hat's off to the creaters, it's easy money!

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #172 of 975
So the chip provider did not raise the price? I bet they did! The consumer always pay for it in the end.

MQA is a scam and there's not much we can do about i. Hat's off to the creaters, it's easy money!

I want to make it clear that I am not a MQA supporter myself. I do indeed believe it is making money by deceiving half-informed (*which in a way is caused by how secretive MQA has packaged and marketed its "technology") audiophiles that there is an non-existing problem that needed to be solved and MQA is the answer, which it is not.

That being said - let takes an example of ESS ES9281 vs 9280. These are essentially the same chip on the hardware level with the only difference being 9281 has the MQA digital filter built-in while 9280 comes with the normal vanilla flavor digital filters. If you buy them from Mouser today, it will cost US$9 for 9281 and US$8.25 for 9280 - In that sense, and yes, you are right that the manufacturer (and eventually the consumers) will pay more for an MQA enable chip vs. a non-MQA chip. BUT in the grand scheme of things, that extra US$0.75 cost for the MQA chip is really irrelevant to the final price of most USB DAC dongle and Bluetooth DAC/amp, unless we are talking about the super cheap one that only making a dollar or two in profit. Manufacturer will need much higher margin to survive and the cost of an MQA vs. non-MQA chip is generally not the issue. The issue is which chip is easier for them to market to their customer - or in other words, what the market is demanding.

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #174 of 975
Is it a MQA discussion or a Shanling UP 5 ?

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #175 of 975
Aug 12, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #179 of 975
Playing Tidal on my UP5 whenever there is a switch between music with MQA to non-MQA, the music will stop. I tried on two different phones (Samsung and Sony) and the outcome is the same. It will be back to normal only when I disconnect/reconnect the UP5 from the phone. It will also go back to normal when I disconnect and reattached the headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #180 of 975
Playing Tidal on my UP5 whenever there is a switch between music with MQA to non-MQA, the music will stop. I tried on two different phones (Samsung and Sony) and the outcome is the same. It will be back to normal only when I disconnect/reconnect the UP5 from the phone. It will also go back to normal when I disconnect and reattached the headphones.
Same for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back