Shanling UP4 & UP2 - Bluetooth 5.0 DAC/AMP with ES9218P, balanced output, supporting LDAC, HWA LHDC, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency, aptX and AAC.
Nov 18, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #496 of 1,460
Hiii Guys ... If I can ask here & maybe this is a silly question ... So please understand the Guys above to make my mistake ... Approximately what determines the 32-bit / 192 kHz bit rate (I just changed my device to the LG V30, because I just lost Xiaomi Pocophone F1 about one month ago) ... With the difference in the 32-bit / 384 kHz bit rate of Samsung S8 ??? So, to be honest, I'm using my V30 device, which is equipped with a mini portable Bluetooth DAC receiver from Shanling UP2 (24-bit / 192 kHz), the classic Shure SE215 earphone with a full max upgrade premium cable (Hebra Definition) + native music format with 32-bit / 96 kHz FLAC quality, automatically reads LDAC (In the developer selection menu that can be activated manually or automatically) ... Is that the equivalent of Samsung UHQ (Ultra High Quality) 32-bit / 384 kHz flagship class Guys & Guess which one is superior as its priority: Is it at 24-bit / 192 kHz, 32-bit / 192 kHz or UHQ 32- bit / 384 kHz Guys ??? So this is reminiscent of a fierce battle (World War 3) classmate flagship smartphone cellphone in the past 2017 class flagship mobile smartphone flagship premium audiophile high quality V30 (DAC chip in the 3.5mm jack) VS. S8 (Which relies on the help of Bluetooth UHQ) ... Check in: (https://bluetoothcheck.com) Or is this a subtle trick in outline theory in the business of trading competition, between a 32-bit / 192 VS bit rate. 32-bit / 384 Guys ??? ☺

Like @zachgraz, I don't understand what you are really trying to ask - anyway, what determine the max sampling rate of the system - On hardware, is the DAC (or codec) chip used by the smartphone. On software, it is the built-in audio driver used by individual manufacturers. Sometime you can have the same chip used by two smartphone but one is limited by the audio driver to a lower sampling rate. Besides, it is usually not sampling rate that determine the SQ of the smartphone but the headphone driving stage (= what comes after the DAC / codec).

In any case, it doesn't matter much to the discussion here with UP2 / UP4 as the audio decoding is carried out at the DAC chip inside the UP2 / UP4 and not in the smartphone, so whether the smartphone is 16/44, 24/192 or 32/384 has nothing to do with the sampling rate on the BT adapter. The usual limiting factor is the BT codec (SBC / AAC / aptX / aptX-HD, LDAC) s even LDAC only goes up to 24/96. Hiby UAT might claim to support 32/192 but it is usually very unstable and mostly unusable in a real life situation.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #497 of 1,460
4. There is no needs for drivers on Mac, you should be able just o plug in UP2, turn it on and it should show up as sound device.

I solve the problem with DAC-USB connection. The problem was cable attached to UP2. When I bought better cable, my computer have seen the device. I have more question and I will be gratefull, if You, or someone else, could answer to it.

1. When I use UP2 with my iPhone SE, there is problem with volume. When I stop the music and after a while play it, sometimes the voulume is different than in my phone, usually much quieter. And I can’t controll it in my phone. After a while I have control back, but this causes unpredictable volume jumps. How can I solve it to have goot volume controll on my iPhone?

2. Sometimes there is a problem with the sound on my Mac. Everything works, then I stop the music and after a while when I want to play again, the player is working but there is no sound. I can't catch the rule why this is happening.
The UP2 has distinct problem with multiple softwares on the same time (on the same computer). E.g. I have open Vox player and edit another file in Ocenaudio software. And once everything works and once there is no sound. And all I can do is to turn off and turn on UP2, reload the softwares and try again.
Sometimes the sound is distorted, like there is something with the channels and bitrate. Sometimes there is problem with volume controll on my Mac.

3. When I am using UP2 in DAC-USB mode, it still trying to connect via bluetooth. How can I prevent it against use bluetooth while I am using it in DAC-USB mode? I don’t want to switch accidentally to bluetooth and use it only as an external sound card.

4. In DAC-USB mode when I stop the music and after one second start it again, there is crackle in my speakers, like the UP2 is waking up from standby mode. Is it possible to prevent it?

Currently, UP2 is very unpredictable and unstable for me. It looks like it hasn't been tested too much on Apple devices.

Nov 19, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #498 of 1,460
I solve the problem with DAC-USB connection. The problem was cable attached to UP2. When I bought better cable, my computer have seen the device. I have more question and I will be gratefull, if You, or someone else, could answer to it.

1. When I use UP2 with my iPhone SE, there is problem with volume. When I stop the music and after a while play it, sometimes the voulume is different than in my phone, usually much quieter. And I can’t controll it in my phone. After a while I have control back, but this causes unpredictable volume jumps. How can I solve it to have goot volume controll on my iPhone?

2. Sometimes there is a problem with the sound on my Mac. Everything works, then I stop the music and after a while when I want to play again, the player is working but there is no sound. I can't catch the rule why this is happening.
The UP2 has distinct problem with multiple softwares on the same time (on the same computer). E.g. I have open Vox player and edit another file in Ocenaudio software. And once everything works and once there is no sound. And all I can do is to turn off and turn on UP2, reload the softwares and try again.
Sometimes the sound is distorted, like there is something with the channels and bitrate. Sometimes there is problem with volume controll on my Mac.

3. When I am using UP2 in DAC-USB mode, it still trying to connect via bluetooth. How can I prevent it against use bluetooth while I am using it in DAC-USB mode? I don’t want to switch accidentally to bluetooth and use it only as an external sound card.

4. In DAC-USB mode when I stop the music and after one second start it again, there is crackle in my speakers, like the UP2 is waking up from standby mode. Is it possible to prevent it?

Currently, UP2 is very unpredictable and unstable for me. It looks like it hasn't been tested too much on Apple devices.

1. We didn't saw such problem with any iPhones we tested, but we only used never models.

2. Will report these problems to software team, but unfortunately we don't have good access to Mac for deeper testing of these.

3. That's how UP2/4 is currently set up. Even when connected as USB DAC, it connects as BT amp. And if you start playback on your phone, as BT input has set higher priority, it will over take over USB DAC function.

4. This is connected to previous point.

Will discuss with software team, if it's possible to implement the USB-DAC mode as more standalone setting.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 19, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #499 of 1,460
3. That's how UP2/4 is currently set up. Even when connected as USB DAC, it connects as BT amp. And if you start playback on your phone, as BT input has set higher priority, it will over take over USB DAC function.

Will discuss with software team, if it's possible to implement the USB-DAC mode as more standalone setting.

I've got the UP2 and when using it as USB DAC, I just turn BT off on my phone, or force disconnect it on my phone - its no problem

Nov 20, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #500 of 1,460
Just received this answer from the seller: "Hello, Please don't worry about it.
We'll send the items out within processing time. Hope could wait with patience.
Any query, please feel free to contact us.
Best regards." Let's see what happens then.
Same thing here... 1 day and 7h to the end of the processing time...

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #501 of 1,460
2. Will report these problems to software team, but unfortunately we don't have good access to Mac for deeper testing of these.
UP2 behaves strangely in some softwares.

When I play music in Vox Player, the indicator shows white light, but only if the music is playing. When I stop the music, the blue light blinks. When I start the music again, there is fade in effect (the sound is not playing immediately in full volume).

But if I run more professional software, like Ocenaudio, Motu Digital Performer, Mixx (DJ Software). White light appears constantly even when I stop music. And the sound appears immediately after I start the music. It seems more professional software can force UP2 to more standalone work. But sometimes if I quit the software – e.g. Mixxx – and try to play the music in Vox, there is no sound at all, even when I run again the Mixxx. It seems UP2 has problems with more than one software.

The other thing: in DAC-USB mode the volume controll in Mac is avaible for UP2 – so it suggest I can controll the volume in my keyboard – but there is no impact to the volume, even if I mute the sound. I can only controll through volume controll wheel in Up2.

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #503 of 1,460
Just listened to UP4 for about an hour or so.

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #504 of 1,460
Mine have been shipped and it turns out they've shipped it on November 12, just didn't update the order status. I'll monitor my tracking id to see if it suspiciously takes a u-turn lol.
Lol. They updated mine's too. They shipped it on the 12 from somewhere to China, and now it's supposedly on its way too Europe.

Nov 22, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #510 of 1,460
First impressions ? I want to buy it but could not really find it in Europe yet.

All I can say at this point is the 2.5mm output is fairly clean and neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back