Shanling UP4 & UP2 - Bluetooth 5.0 DAC/AMP with ES9218P, balanced output, supporting LDAC, HWA LHDC, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency, aptX and AAC.
Nov 24, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #512 of 1,460
Any Audio Delay when using it as wired USB DAC?

Can't comment on it.

While UP4 works just fine over Bluetooth, the stock firmware doesn't seem to be working as USB DAC yet. It is neither detected by my smartphone (either natively or by UAPP) nor my PC (*well, Windows 10 does detect it as sound card, but it doesn't output any sound).

Nov 24, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #513 of 1,460
Could you test it please? I have an old laptop with Windows XP I want to use for playing music.

SOme of our computers in office are fairly old, but unfortunately none of them running such old system.

Can't comment on it.

While UP4 works just fine over Bluetooth, the stock firmware doesn't seem to be working as USB DAC yet. It is neither detected by my smartphone (either natively or by UAPP) nor my PC (*well, Windows 10 does detect it as sound card, but it doesn't output any sound).

Strange, it should work without problem, just connected to cable and turn it on with pressing volume wheel.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 24, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #514 of 1,460
Strange, it should work without problem, just connected to cable and turn it on with pressing volume wheel.

Will try again

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #515 of 1,460
Can't comment on it.

My UP2 on window 10 as a USB DAC seen to have weird issue with sound output too. Even if i set to 100vol and turn the vol wheel, the sound seen to be mono or super soft.

But on bluetooth, it work just fine

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #516 of 1,460
I think I have it figured out.

For Windows 10, it is just a simple matter of wrong settings. Once I have the right setting, it works as normal.

For Android however, it is a bit complicated. I am using a Sony Xperia 5, which natively supports USB DAC as it doesn't have a headphone-out. In order for Android to detect UP4, I need to plug a USB hub into my smartphone first, then UP4 to the USB hub. I reckon UP4 needs the 5V from the USB port to trigger it's USB DAC mode, which is not natively present on my smartphoneas type-C port (it usually needs to be triggered by the slave device first). The USB hub kinda acts as the slave device that triggers the 5V from my smartphone, which then activates the USB DAC mode on UP4. Hopefully this is something that can be corrected on future UP4 firmware.

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #517 of 1,460

For Windows 10, it is just a simple matter of wrong settings. Once I have the right setting, it works as normal.

For Android however, it is a bit complicated. I am using a Sony Xperia 5, which natively supports USB DAC as it doesn't have a headphone-out. In order for Android to detect UP4, I need to plug a USB hub into my smartphone first, then UP4 to the USB hub. I reckon UP4 needs the 5V from the USB port to trigger it's USB DAC mode, which is not natively present on my smartphoneas type-C port (it usually needs to be triggered by the slave device first). The USB hub kinda acts as the slave device that triggers the 5V from my smartphone, which then activates the USB DAC mode on UP4. Hopefully this is something that can be corrected on future UP4 firmware.

So i try and mess around my UP2 with Win10 as USB-DAC mode again, I found out the Win10 Vol control does not alter the vol at all. I had to control the vol via UP2 vol wheel. Not sure if it's suppose to work this way or...

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #518 of 1,460
Just got my UP4. Sound quality is great with both 3.5SE and 2.5BAL outputs. And I like being able to control gain and digital filters as well! Great little device Shanling well done!

Wish list of whatever coming after UP4:
1) OLED screen showing CODEC/GAIN/D.Filter status
2) Support wired control with mic (3.5 wires with attached mics and control for phones.)
3) When using cables with built-in mic, have active noise cancellation on voice calls.......

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #519 of 1,460

Just realize it is the same for UP2 as well - can't be detected as USB DAC when plugged directly to my smartphone, but can be detected with a USB hub in-between.

Just got my UP4. Sound quality is great with both 3.5SE and 2.5BAL outputs. And I like being able to control gain and digital filters as well! Great little device Shanling well done!

Wish list of whatever coming after UP4:
1) OLED screen showing CODEC/GAIN/D.Filter status
2) Support wired control with mic (3.5 wires with attached mics and control for phones.)
3) When using cables with built-in mic, have active noise cancellation on voice calls.......

Wait, so you really just want it to be FiiO BTR5?

Nov 25, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #521 of 1,460
Higher output power
Dual Dac Operation

to start

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #522 of 1,460
Just realize it is the same for UP2 as well - can't be detected as USB DAC when plugged directly to my smartphone, but can be detected with a USB hub in-between.

Wait, so you really just want it to be FiiO BTR5?
Well, BTR5 will need an app to adjust settings. Will be nice for UP4 to be able to do all those on the device itself, and Shanling can forego the app development which they seem to have problem with.

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #523 of 1,460
Well, BTR5 will need an app to adjust settings. Will be nice for UP4 to be able to do all those on the device itself, and Shanling can forego the app development which they seem to have problem with.

It will be a big mistake for Shanling not to develop it's own app. If anything, EarStudio ES100 has proven that app can be of great use as well as great attraction to customer. The point is to give users more options, not less. If Shanling decided to give up app development, they will eventually get pushed out of the market when everyone else has their own apps and offer extra functions that Shanling can't provide.

Also, BTR5 doesn't need the app to adjust most of its settings.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #524 of 1,460
So can you guys tell us if there’s difference between UP2 and UP4 3.5?

Yes, there is noticeable difference.

Purely gain wise, UP4 can go louder with high gain. Dual DAC mode also improves output power fairly noticeably. I can tell my Etymotic ER4S becomes much tighter sounding under dual DAC mode, which is a sign of higher output power and better control. Tonally, they don't sound the same as well - I'll describe UP2 as neutral with a slight tilt to warm, where UP4 is neutral but on the colder side, even with the warmest sounding of the filter. Also, UP4's treble tends to be just a little grainy where UP2's treble is smooth. These are not night and day difference, but it is enough to tell two apart when compared side by side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back