Shanling UP4 & UP2 - Bluetooth 5.0 DAC/AMP with ES9218P, balanced output, supporting LDAC, HWA LHDC, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency, aptX and AAC.
Nov 16, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #481 of 1,460
The products have been removed from all websites that had a pre-sale, after the Shanling company asked for it. They do not want that the products will be online until they will be massively available in most markets. This info after my exchange with a seller.

Nov 16, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #482 of 1,460
The products have been removed from all websites that had a pre-sale, after the Shanling company asked for it. They do not want that the products will be online until they will be massively available in most markets. This info after my exchange with a seller.
Does it mean that current orders are likely to be cancelled by all vendors?

Nov 16, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #484 of 1,460
I also bought one on the same day and it hasn't shipped yet. It was a little weird cause before 11.11 the item was temporarely out of stock, but then they had quite a few available to purchase on the day of the sale. I'll try sending them a message.

It seems I'm lucky to have mine already shipped. I hopt nt to have bad surprise during this shipment

Nov 16, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #487 of 1,460
Should receive my UP4 in less than a week.

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #488 of 1,460
Should receive my UP4 in less than a week.
Nice! Look forward to hearing your impressions. I've been pretty happy with my UP2

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #489 of 1,460
Hello, I have some questions about the Shanling UP2 and will be glad for answer.

1. DAC – USB. I’m thinking to use UP2 as a backup audio interface for DJ-ing. How UP2 works with line level signal inputs, such as mixers and amplifiers?

– can it overdrive easly the input, if I will be playing at full volume?

– any other distortions of the tonal balance?

– can the sound quality – for this purpose – be compared to e.g. Focusrite Scarlett?

– what about the stability? The concerts are live, so it has to be stable.

2. What is the better for battery? Keeping the device plugged to power outlet, when it’s possible or to work on battery and charging when the battery is discharged?

3. If I have Macbook, it means, that I won’t have acces to updates of firmare? I have two old laptops with Widnows, but they couldn’t recognize the UP2 (uknown device) under the Windows Vista and Windows 7. How can I update firmware?

4. My Macbook (macOS Mojave 10.14.4) don’t recognize the UP2 when it is connected via USB. How can I use it for DAC – USB?

Is the UP 4 USB limited to 16/48 (like the UP 2)?

Thank you for reply. It was very helpful. I've already have UP2, but my Macbook don't see it, so I can't try it in DAC–USB mode. And because I have macOS, I can’t update the firmware.
Regarding my question about the charging, I read in manual this:
„The USB port is only for data transmission or charging. Please try to avoid using this device when it is charging.”
It seems, that is not good idea to use it, when it is charging. And what about DAC-USB mode? Is it working on the battery, or it gets energy from the computer? Can it discharge during DAC-USB work?

Edit.
BTW, Up2 obviously have also ADC, because it has microphone. And on my Mac I can also record the sound from mic.

- Even at full volume it shouldn't go above standard lineout levels, so should be no problem.
- Not if input on your amp is working fine.
- No idea for comparison.
- Honestly, we don't make concert gear, so can't give recommendation for such usage.

2. When you use UP2 as USB DAC, its battery keeps discharging and charging little bit, so in theory not ideal for continuous use as USB DAC only.

3. Unfortunately, to our best knowledge, this Qualcomm app is only available in Windows version.

4. There is no needs for drivers on Mac, you should be able just o plug in UP2, turn it on and it should show up as sound device.

@Shanling, a small question about the Shanling up2 Does the USB c port send the music data out? So, for example, put a dragonfly on it or connect to my TV?

UP2 can output only analog signal through 3.5mm jack, there is no digital output on UP2.
For such function you would need to get our M0, M2X or M5s. And even for them compatibility with external DACs is limited (like not giving enough power to make Dragonfly work).

@Shanling Hello, I just realized (after 5 months of use) if I do not have music playing and I want to turn down the volume by the time I start the music it does not stun me in my ears, the alert sound that you are not playing music always sounds when I turn down the volume and always at the same volume, then there is no way to know at what volume it drops. Actually the alert sound is still annoying, I do not understand the sense that it sounds when I want to turn down the volume and sound at the same time. I know that when I turn it off and then on again it is at the same volume but it is not quite useful if I change headphones, I use them at a different volume. It would not be better if when I turn down the volume say, volume 25, I keep going down volume 24 or just say the number

With volume, it's unfortunately problem when first connected. After that it works as it should. Ideal to lower volume on your phone before starting music.

With the tones, yeah, they are annoying and I told software team that they should be adjusted.

Limited pre-sale was on UP4, as it was only released in China and wasn't released for international market yet.

UP2 should be widely available internationally, of course some stores might have run out of stock on 11.11 due to high demand(we sold out on multiple devices during these sales).

A question about the UP4. When using it in SE mode is there any difference in sound to the UP2 at all ?
Can dual DAC mode only be used in balanced mode or in SE mode as well ? How does it affect sound ?

Dual DAC mode can be enabled in SE too, apart from any possible changes in sound(as such thing is for deeper audiophile discussion) it also offers higher power (91 mW vs 71 mW).

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 18, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #490 of 1,460
@Shanling
Is the UP 4 USB limited to 16/48 (like the UP 2)? You quoted me above, but didn't actually answer the question :wink:

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #491 of 1,460
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 18, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #492 of 1,460
I noticed that as well, but didn't pay it much attention because I never had any issues shopping on Ali. But the product removal was a red flag for me, so I searched on this forum. It turns out they did do something similar in the past where they would collect mass orders during sales and then order products in bulk from the manufactures. I saw on another forum, they provided fake tracking numbers in some cases. I just hope that's not the case here because receiving refunds in my country is a hassle.
Just received this answer from the seller: "Hello, Please don't worry about it.
We'll send the items out within processing time. Hope could wait with patience.
Any query, please feel free to contact us.
Best regards." Let's see what happens then.

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #493 of 1,460
Just received this answer from the seller: "Hello, Please don't worry about it.
We'll send the items out within processing time. Hope could wait with patience.
Any query, please feel free to contact us.
Best regards." Let's see what happens then.
Yes, I've also received the same reply two days ago. I've 3 days of processing time remaining. I just hope they don't provide a fake tracking no just to fulfill it.

Nov 18, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #494 of 1,460
FB_IMG_1574113906792.jpg
Hiii Guys ... If I can ask here & maybe this is a silly question ... So please understand the Guys above to make my mistake ... Approximately what determines the 32-bit / 192 kHz bit rate (I just changed my device to the LG V30, because I just lost Xiaomi Pocophone F1 about one month ago) ... With the difference in the 32-bit / 384 kHz bit rate of Samsung S8 ??? So, to be honest, I'm using my V30 device, which is equipped with a mini portable Bluetooth DAC receiver from Shanling UP2 (24-bit / 192 kHz), the classic Shure SE215 earphone with a full max upgrade premium cable (Hebra Definition) + native music format with 32-bit / 96 kHz FLAC quality, automatically reads LDAC (In the developer selection menu that can be activated manually or automatically) ... Is that the equivalent of Samsung UHQ (Ultra High Quality) 32-bit / 384 kHz flagship class Guys & Guess which one is superior as its priority: Is it at 24-bit / 192 kHz, 32-bit / 192 kHz or UHQ 32- bit / 384 kHz Guys ??? So this is reminiscent of a fierce battle (World War 3) classmate flagship smartphone cellphone in the past 2017 class flagship mobile smartphone flagship premium audiophile high quality V30 (DAC chip in the 3.5mm jack) VS. S8 (Which relies on the help of Bluetooth UHQ) ... Check in: (https://bluetoothcheck.com) Or is this a subtle trick in outline theory in the business of trading competition, between a 32-bit / 192 VS bit rate. 32-bit / 384 Guys ??? ☺

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back