Shanling MW200 Hi-Fi Bluetooth neckband adapter - BT 5.0 , AK4377A DAC/AMP, supports LDAC, LHDC, aptX HD, aptX LL
Jul 7, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #152 of 164
So after having quite a few problems with cutting off signals in my left inear, I found a notch inside the mmcx connector.
If you turn the mmcx it clicks or kinda snaps at a certain position.
( images have been attached)

Attachments

• IMG_20230707_095557.jpg
    IMG_20230707_095557.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230707_095515.jpg
    IMG_20230707_095515.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230707_095433.jpg
    IMG_20230707_095433.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230707_094719.jpg
    IMG_20230707_094719.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 0
Nov 6, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #154 of 164
Currently only Eddict player app is supported, all other apps have been discontinued.
This is unfortunate, the connect app allowed us to select the filters and connection protocol. This essential, unless the other app has these features, it was a side load last time I used it.

Also, I'm less likely to ever buy or recommend a Shanling device for this very reason.

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #155 of 164
This is unfortunate, the connect app allowed us to select the filters and connection protocol. This essential, unless the other app has these features, it was a side load last time I used it.

Also, I'm less likely to ever buy or recommend a Shanling device for this very reason.
The Eddict player allows access to all these settings, it acts the same as the connect app.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 11, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #157 of 164
The Eddict player allows access to all these settings, it acts the same as the connect app.
I finally had a chance to try the player, as far as I can tell it does not allow me to select a particular code, just chose from a selection of codecs, defaults to aptX, how do I get it to use LDAC? Also the instructions page is empty, there used to be a cheat sheet in the other app. I may be nitpicking here but I think selecting a codec in a clear manner is essential to folks in the community.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #158 of 164
I finally had a chance to try the player, as far as I can tell it does not allow me to select a particular code, just chose from a selection of codecs, defaults to aptX, how do I get it to use LDAC? Also the instructions page is empty, there used to be a cheat sheet in the other app. I may be nitpicking here but I think selecting a codec in a clear manner is essential to folks in the community.
@Twangsta, assuming you are using an Android source device… there is a free third-party app on the Google Play Store called “Bluetooth Codec Changer.” I’ve had luck using it to get LDAC connection in the past with other devices. It is worth a try to see if it works for you and the MW200.

I think we all will have to succumb to the realization that Shanling has moved on from the MW200. Once all of the remaining MMCX units are gone this one will be “sold out” (i.e. discontinued) most likely.

Let us know if you have success with the codec changer app.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #159 of 164
If you want it to force certain codec, just disable the other ones.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 20, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #160 of 164
@Twangsta, assuming you are using an Android source device… there is a free third-party app on the Google Play Store called “Bluetooth Codec Changer.” I’ve had luck using it to get LDAC connection in the past with other devices. It is worth a try to see if it works for you and the MW200.

I think we all will have to succumb to the realization that Shanling has moved on from the MW200. Once all of the remaining MMCX units are gone this one will be “sold out” (i.e. discontinued) most likely.

Let us know if you have success with the codec changer app.
Yes, android device. Thank you, I shall try it. I haven't been paying attention... so in general all MMCX devices are out? Makes sense, the connectors wear out and have drop outs eventually I'm guessing. Really appreciate the comment, thank you again.
If you want it to force certain codec, just disable the other ones.
No dice.

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #161 of 164
so in general all MMCX devices are out?
Not necessarily, although 2 pin connectors are what the majority of iems are using now.

I’ve just noticed that the MW200 with 2 pin connectors have been sold out for well over a year, leaving only the MMCX units left in stock anywhere. My guess is when they’re gone the MW200 will be finished.

May 20, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #164 of 164
I just ordered, with a @4/18 delivery date. I am looking forward to hearing it. Apologies in advance all for the Course 101 forthcoming questions. lol
Same; I ordered via Shanling's official webstore via Aliexpress (link here) today, to pair with my AKG N5005 IEM's.

I debated on how I wanted to use my N5005's when I'm out-and-about, but do not want to carry much (minimal carry). This is especially true when I'm not carrying my messenger bag; if I were, than I would use my T+A Solitaire T hybrid headphones instead.

Using the N5005 at home with my FiiO M17 in balanced mode is great, but I also liked using the (included with my N5005) AKG Bluetooth cable too. In fact, despite that both the Bluetooth chip and codecs are now old, not only does it work great, but I equally enjoyed having my earphones dangling across my chest/neck area instead of finding room in my ever decreasing pocket space to stow away earphones.

My original plan was to get the mighty iFi Audio GO Pod's, but with their very large charging case, which is anti-minimal carry, and inconvenient way to take off and stow away the system without said case, I was reluctant to go ahead.
The FiiO UTWS5 was a better choice, but was taken off the market due to durability issues. Additionally, the 2023 announcement of the UTWS15 for 2023 fall roadmap never materialised, and the UTWS15 is not on the most recent FiiO 2024 roadmap (likely pulled back or an abandoned project). The UTWS5 is supposedly coming back in July 2024 according to the above-mentioned 2024 roadmap, and I'm keeping my eye on that.

I also considered high-powered dongles too, such the FiiO KA17 or iFi Audio GO Bar Kensei, as though both would allow superior portable lossless playback with high amplifier quality, this is a long cable tether and restrictive. Plus, both dongles will sap my phone's precious battery life (Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5).

In researching alternatives, I couldn't ignore how great and convient the aging AKG Bluetooth neck cable was to use (not a neckband per-se, just a tethered cable), and how I could hide most of it under my thin jumper or shirt collar attire.
So, I looked for Bluetooth neckband devices that could allow me to playback music from my Android phone. As Samsung Galaxy devices top out at LDAC codec best quality, I wanted to prioritise my buying decision around that, as this is another investment and I didn't want to scrimp.
For clarity, I'm fully aware of the pitfalls of all Bluetooth codecs, how they can, on occasion, have the chance to playback lossless content upto the max X codec's ceiling in only ideal conditions. However, in most situations, all Bluetooth codec has multiple levels that can decrease quality and chop the treble region as you move into more electrically noisy environments, in order to maintain a stable connection. I wrote a very summarised Reddit comment regarding this with links; feel free to read, or see below:

CD quality music, also known as the Redbook standard, CDDA, etc, has the following sampling rate: 16 bit/44.1 kHz.
44.1 kHz is equivalent to 1411kbps for playback.

Though 1411 kbps is the maximum for CD quality music, most music will not hit that high throughout playback of a song, as this varies. It depends on the quality of the mastering of said music/song.

The highest Bluetooth codecs are AptX Adaptive, LDAC, and AptX Lossless.

Let's take LDAC as an example (and I'll copy a reply post I wrote a few minutes ago to another redditor on an earlier thread):

Bluetooth LDAC codec has three tiers of quality:

- 990 kbps (L3)
- 660 kbps (L2)
- 330 kbps (L1)

If you play your music via Bluetooth LDAC in less electrically noisy communication environments (your home), you'll likely hit Level 3 quality of LDAC, so 990 kbps.
Once you get into environments with more noise (commuting on busses or trains, where other people are using Bluetooth, WiFi, etc), LDAC will drop in quality to sustain a connection between your Bluetooth devices.
You will not know when this happens as most apps will not disclose this (due to LDAC and other Bluetooth codec specification guidelines).

Most Bluetooth codecs have a ladder style maximum ceilings for audio quality playback, such as LDAC.
However, some are variable, such as AptX Adaptive, in which the changes of quality as you move into different environments is scalable instead.

AptX Lossless, for example, is 1100 kbps – 1200 kbps, the highest and closest to the maximum CD quality standard of 1411 kbps.
However, as per Darkø Audio's March 2024 article, AptX Lossless might be an offshoot of AptX Adaptive Level 5 protocol.

Further, as Bluetooth quality changes within a codec depending on environmental changes, so do the harmonics of the audio playback, specifically high-frequency roll-off; an example of these frequency changes in specific codecs can be read from this 2020 review of the Shanling MW200 IEM Bluetooth neckband adapter by Headphonesty (look for the *SBC, aptx, aptX HD Frequency Response* graph).

There's more to this, but that's the gist to get started down this rabbit hole 😅

Regardless, LDAC would give me, at least, the best chance for wireless playback with my phone, so that is why I researched for devices with that.
This meant newly or recently released Bluetooth neckband devices, such as Moondrop Voyager, Moondrop Littlewhite, the entire series of Plussound Bluetooth devices (devoid of decent Bluetooth or amplifier specs), and other similar options, were out, either due to no support for LDAC, very very expensive, or no MMCX connector option for my IEM (that last part is not a big issues as you can get 2-pin to MMCX or MMCX to 2-pin adapters).
In the end, the two best options I found were devices that were, unfortunately, discontinued:

- FiiO LC-BT2
- Shanling MW200

Despite this, Shanling MW200 seemed to be the more premium of any neckband device on the market (save for Plussound offerings with threadbare information), and via Shanling's webstore on AliExpress, still available.

With very good reviews on the Web by Headphonesty, Headfonia, Headfonics, Audiophile Heaven, and others, including Head-Fi (this very thread!) and Reddit, alongside one good video review by Z Reviews, I was extremely intrigued and interested towards the MW200.
It had almost every feature I required, most of the Bluetooth specs save for AptX Lossless (which I cannot use anyway, but the other codecs work with both my FiiO M17 and Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5 too!), decent amplifier power, premium design, ergonomic (as far as I can remotely tell via feedback from others), and battery life.
Plus, the AKM AK4377A DAC is a welcome change from my ESS based M17, and should I ever want to, I can use the MW200 in USB-C DAC mode with my phone.

So, tentatively as my first AliExpress experience and purchase, placed an order a few hours ago.

I'll update when it arrives (should be this week!), and hopefully will get my AKG N5005 review sorted in the following weeks too!

Cheers @Shanling for creating this device, and though discontinued I hope you continue create new options within this competitive market!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back