Shanling M9 Plus - Flagship Android player
Oct 21, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #286 of 425
With IEMs, it really gets to a point where the difference between going from a TOTL portable option to a desktop system might not be as justified for most. Not to say there isn't a noticeable difference, but at the same time most probably can't justify the performance gain for IEMs especially given the main selling characteristic of IEMs is portability.

Headphones however are a completely different situation where there is still significant improves to be made going from TOTL portable sources to even average mid-tier desktop sources.
Would you say regarding desktops, is it predominantly because we can have bigger boxes, more extravagant solutions/implementations and to a certain extent there is no limit to what the designer/engineers can achieve?

Oct 21, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #287 of 425
Would you say regarding desktops, is it predominantly because we can have bigger boxes, more extravagant solutions/implementations and to a certain extent there is no limit to what the designer/engineers can achieve?
I'd believe this is the case. There are definitely inherent limitations when you have to reduce size and weight to fit small portable form factors. Whether that is from the component or cooling aspect of things, and probably more that I am not aware of.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #288 of 425
It depends on a transducers you use.
With items like u12t, Softears Twilight, Monarch 2 and some more, i get a better performance from the AK sp1000 than from a desktop system worth 3k bucks (vincent sv 237 + Arcam cds27).
This is also the case when using Sennheiser hd660s and some Focal headphones.
I'm getting cleaner, punchier sound, with more depth and a more open soundstage.
The scenario changes quite a bit with more demanding headphones, like open planars etc. Then the power of a stationary rig comes to the play.

Oct 30, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #289 of 425
So, each time I start up my M9+, the splash screen shows the “M9” splash screen. Has anyone else encountered this issue? I’ve been told this is a software bug…

Oct 30, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #291 of 425
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #292 of 425
So, each time I start up my M9+, the splash screen shows the “M9” splash screen. Has anyone else encountered this issue? I’ve been told this is a software bug…
I just updated to the latest version of the firmware V1.13 (was surprized to see it pop up this morning) and unfortunately this issue still persists.

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #294 of 425
I just updated to the latest version of the firmware V1.13 (was surprized to see it pop up this morning) and unfortunately this issue still persists.
Glad you posted this. I have another Shanling model--M6 Pro 21--and when I checked OTA there was an update to firmware 1.32. Probably @Shanling will be making an announcement any time now for any other models with updates. Anyway, sorry yours didn't fix your issue. Hopefully mine might fix the Tidal app MQA problem with my generation of DAPs. <--Edit, it didn't.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #296 of 425

It's a graphical bug on certain runs of M9 Plus. Honestly, not a high priority for fix.

Glad you posted this. I have another Shanling model--M6 Pro 21--and when I checked OTA there was an update to firmware 1.32. Probably @Shanling will be making an announcement any time now for any other models with updates. Anyway, sorry yours didn't fix your issue. Hopefully mine might fix the Tidal app MQA problem with my generation of DAPs. <--Edit, it didn't.

No announcement for this firmware update, it's just a tiny fix for EQ presets in Shanling app.

The firmware update for the M9 Plus (1.13) was announced in post #276 in this thread.

For some reason it is not available OTA, which is hard to understand why.

@Shanling can you provide an explanation and timeline for when it will be available OTA?

OTA update V1.13 is now available for M9 Plus.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 3, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #297 of 425
Hi all - new owner of an M9 Plus, so I apologize for the simple question.
@Shanling or anyone else who many know - I am trying to use a SanDisk SD card, and the DAP doesn't seem to like it. the settings app keeps crashing, and when I restart the DAP, it just cycles on the startup screen.
I happened to have an older Samsung card, and the DAP seems to be working fine with it.
Just wondering if SanDisk is a known compatibility issue? I was using the same card on another brand's DAP and it was just fine.

Thanks!

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #298 of 425
Hi all - new owner of an M9 Plus, so I apologize for the simple question.
@Shanling or anyone else who many know - I am trying to use a SanDisk SD card, and the DAP doesn't seem to like it. the settings app keeps crashing, and when I restart the DAP, it just cycles on the startup screen.
I happened to have an older Samsung card, and the DAP seems to be working fine with it.
Just wondering if SanDisk is a known compatibility issue? I was using the same card on another brand's DAP and it was just fine.

Thanks!
Interesting because I only use SanDisk cards for all my DAPs. And I am using a 1TB one for the M9+. No issues with it at all.

I suspect it might be that the card itself is corrupted?

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #299 of 425
Interesting because I only use SanDisk cards for all my DAPs. And I am using a 1TB one for the M9+. No issues with it at all.

I suspect it might be that the card itself is corrupted?
Thanks for that - helpful.
Yes, it might be corrupted; the strange thing is that I was using the same card in my 320 Max with no issues; I moved it over to the M9+ and formatted it…perhaps something happened during the formatting process? Not sure if that’s possible.

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #300 of 425
Thanks for that - helpful.
Yes, it might be corrupted; the strange thing is that I was using the same card in my 320 Max with no issues; I moved it over to the M9+ and formatted it…perhaps something happened during the formatting process? Not sure if that’s possible.
Yes. It certainly sounds like something did occur during formatting. The fact that it worked in the 320 Max prior to formatting means nothing in this context. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back