Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Jan 21, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #541 of 1,354
Just got mine... the fact that there is no case for a product at this price level especially this is a bad suprise and a shocker...
I got M8 from musicteck so M8 came with it but this time around a local shop and it wasn't bundled with...

Now the question is where can I find a case?
Hello,? I saw you also on the M 17 thread- I would really appreciate if you could give me some comparison to the M17: which one do you like better? Is there a difference between for in ear and overear headphones? Which dap is more musical? Punchy? Refined? And last but not least which dap sounds better with the Ifi pro ican (which I have as well). Sorry for such a lot of questions but I’m really really interested as I’m trying to decide which dap I should buy.

Jan 21, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #542 of 1,354
A few things compared to M8 :
  • M8 was built like a tank, M9 feels much more fragile, including the volume wheel... build quality is great but from M8 I would say a step down (maybe I am focusing on this since I have no case)
  • M9 screen is superb, not sure I care much about the secondary but we'll see if it prooves useful in the end
  • At last a fast DAP, as expected as fast as M17, DX300 and all the modern DAPs I had... this is great
I'll wait a bit before making comments on SQ other than it's not the deep powerful sound of M8 out of the box but as written by many something different.

Kudos to @Shanling for handling Over Ear Mode with the auto volume down to 10 so that you can't blow up your ears!

Question to M9 users, you need to activate something on USB out to plug to a DAC?

You should at least ask Shanling to provide you with the (not so protecting) case that is delivered in other parts of the world.
You get your M9 from Son-Video or Easylounge?
EasyLounge -15% discount is better but anyway EaslyLounge is Son-Video :p

Hello,? I saw you also on the M 17 thread- I would really appreciate if you could give me some comparison to the M17: which one do you like better? Is there a difference between for in ear and overear headphones? Which dap is more musical? Punchy? Refined? And last but not least which dap sounds better with the Ifi pro ican (which I have as well). Sorry for such a lot of questions but I’m really really interested as I’m trying to decide which dap I should buy.
Sure I will post but right now I am burning it in.
I'll try M9 with Pro iCAN as well but since I also just received the Musician Pegasus R2R DAC I have a lot of toys to try :wink:

Choice between DAPs will also factor in the form factor (M17 is a chunk), the use case (driving headphones on the go a requirement ?) and personal preferences... I'll try to sum it up the way I see it.

I only had 30mn with it so far, after that was taken with work so upgraded firmware and burnt it in and will pick up the M9 now :)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #543 of 1,354
Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #544 of 1,354
How do you turn on the Turbo or Over Ear mode? Thanks! :)
I didn’t find at first as I was looking for Turbo but they took the same wording FiiO uses, it's the headphone symbol (but filled cups beware the other symbol is PO/LO) in the tray right next to gain (at least default position in the layout didn't change it). You must change gain first before activating it...

E54EFA84-928A-4FE5-ABBB-3808CCCB6AE5.jpeg

Just posted this pic and saw bluetooth is on by default?
Strange...

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #545 of 1,354
I didn’t find at first as I was looking for Turbo but they took the same wording FiiO uses, it's the headphone symbol (but filled cups beware the other symbol is PO/LO) in the tray right next to gain (at least default position in the layout didn't change it). You must change gain first before activating it...

E54EFA84-928A-4FE5-ABBB-3808CCCB6AE5.jpeg

Just posted this pic and saw bluetooth is on by default?
Strange...
Thanks! I edited my original post cos I found it. I see what you mean about the nice touch of 10 as default volume. Am listening at 20 for the FitEar DC. Very nice

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #546 of 1,354
Does turbo mode make any difference with IEM?

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #547 of 1,354
Does turbo mode make any difference with IEM?
With the Elysium it sure does, but that means it will be necessary with extraordinary IEMs and even then, I am running the Ely in low gain with Over Ear mode.
You could argue that high gain at higher volume is enough and yes it will be loud enough but the dynamic range is just better in over ear mode with the Ely.

I gave a run at DCA Stealth in Over hear in high gain, it does a decent job and gets loud enough at 60/100 but with a 86dB headphone not enough headroom clearly, M17 needs desktop mode to really drive the Stealth so it was just a test. Dynamic range is lacking but it's really an experiment of worst case scenario.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #548 of 1,354
Hmm, might pull it out of the box and check with indigo again then as I was a touch underwhelmed tbh.

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #549 of 1,354
Hmm, might pull it out of the box and check with indigo again then as I was a touch underwhelmed tbh.
Beware of first impression OOB, how long did you run it?

Also keep expectations real, I see you own DX300 Max which like M17 has huge amp power and is closer to a desktop setup so there is that... M9 is quite powerful but from first impressions the headroom is nowhere near M17.

Pairing is also of the essence so YMMV.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #550 of 1,354
I think it was Jamz who preferred M9 over max (ti) but I'm not finding it. Away for 2 weeks on Monday so might pull it from sale and give it some time. Format I like, just needs a bit more on sound. Away off to try turbo anyway...

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #551 of 1,354
A few things compared to M8 :
  • M8 was built like a tank, M9 feels much more fragile, including the volume wheel... build quality is great but from M8 I would say a step down (maybe I am focusing on this since I have no case)
  • M9 screen is superb, not sure I care much about the secondary but we'll see if it prooves useful in the end
  • At last a fast DAP, as expected as fast as M17, DX300 and all the modern DAPs I had... this is great
I'll wait a bit before making comments on SQ other than it's not the deep powerful sound of M8 out of the box but as written by many something different.

Kudos to @Shanling for handling Over Ear Mode with the auto volume down to 10 so that you can't blow up your ears!

Question to M9 users, you need to activate something on USB out to plug to a DAC?

EasyLounge -15% discount is better but anyway EaslyLounge is Son-Video :p

Sure I will post but right now I am burning it in.
I'll try M9 with Pro iCAN as well but since I also just received the Musician Pegasus R2R DAC I have a lot of toys to try :wink:

Choice between DAPs will also factor in the form factor (M17 is a chunk), the use case (driving headphones on the go a requirement ?) and personal preferences... I'll try to sum it up the way I see it.

I only had 30mn with it so far, after that was taken with work so upgraded firmware and burnt it in and will pick up the M9 now :)
Thanks!

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #552 of 1,354
I think it was Jamz who preferred M9 over max (ti) but I'm not finding it. Away for 2 weeks on Monday so might pull it from sale and give it some time. Format I like, just needs a bit more on sound. Away off to try turbo anyway...
You meant @Damz87

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #553 of 1,354
Could just be a preference and synergy thing? Perhaps Max SS pairs better with MEST Indigo than Max Ti. But for me, M9 is more musical, textured and engaging on a number of my IEM’s compared to Max Ti. But Max Ti is definitely more technically impressive.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #554 of 1,354
Absolutely this. Preference seems to slip by the way side with the constant new gear / reviews. Even with other IEM I thought SS was it for me and may have proved that to myself by getting m9 as well. Probably a hard thing in this hobby to accept you've found something that 99% floats your boat!

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #555 of 1,354
Just got mine... the fact that there is no case for a product at this price level especially this is a bad suprise and a shocker @Shanling
I got M8 from musicteck so M8 came with it but this time around M9 from a local reseller and it wasn't bundled with...

Now the question is where can I find a case?

This is strange, we give leather case with each unit of M9. It just comes in small box on the side.

I would recommend to contact your seller about this.

For any questions about settings, please check the setup guide on our website: https://en.shanling.com/article-Android665Setup.html
(And let me know what should I add)

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back