Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #797 of 1,352
If I get this player I plan on getting this case as well. I share your opinion on the stock leather case... :xf_cool:
I have one minor concern. I read that the M9 gets hot. What is your experience in this regard?
For me, it sometimes gets a little warm and other times it's fine, but never gets hot. And I have not noticed any significant difference between this case and the leather case. My main use case is Tidal through UAPP on relatively low volume.

Mar 15, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #798 of 1,352
Sounds like another system wide EQ option (JamesDSP) and battery charging stopping at whatever % (ACC/ACCA) is now possible since its been rooted, also the usual longer battery life from kernel tweaks. This dap wasn't on my upgrade list until now 🙄

Attachments

• IMG_20220315_123735.jpg
    IMG_20220315_123735.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220315_123912.jpg
    IMG_20220315_123912.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #799 of 1,352
This smoked TPU case looks and feels so much better than the useless leather shell. Much easier to rotate the volume dial now too.
20220311_180140.jpg

Where can you get this? I don't mind the leather case but I'm not big on the color.

Mar 15, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #801 of 1,352
Mar 15, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #802 of 1,352
Ordered; thanks! This will reduce some of the bulk that the stock case adds to this already chonky player. Excited to hear your impressions on it.

Yes I like the neat finish, giving more visibility of the device itself. An expensive piece of plastic though!

Yeah I'm really looking forward to it.

Mar 15, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #803 of 1,352
Where can you get this? I don't mind the leather case but I'm not big on the color.

I purchased mine from ebay. You have the option to choose clear/clear black.

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #804 of 1,352
Need your guys help. I’ve got the m8 with the fourte noirs and enjoy the pairing. I’m tempted to pull the trigger on the m9 for £2000 in the U.K.. but I’m also considering the Hugo2. I know it’s not as portable but do you guys have an opinion between the two? I can probably get a Hugo2 for around £1200 second hand and maybe the 2go added later.

Mar 16, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #805 of 1,352
Need your guys help. I’ve got the m8 with the fourte noirs and enjoy the pairing. I’m tempted to pull the trigger on the m9 for £2000 in the U.K.. but I’m also considering the Hugo2. I know it’s not as portable but do you guys have an opinion between the two? I can probably get a Hugo2 for around £1200 second hand and maybe the 2go added later.
Hey,

It’s kinda spooky but I’ve been in an almost identical situation to you recently. I’m in the UK and I have both Hugo2 and M9 (which replaced my M8). Only, my main IEM is an Empire Ears Legend Evo.

This week I ordered the 2go as wanted a portable solution for the H2 HOWEVER I cancelled the order before it arrived as I convinced myself (for now at least!) the M9 is my preferred solution (making the 2go an extravagance for another time maybe).

My first question to you is have you heard a Hugo2? It’s quite a different sound to a delta sigma DAC chip. I find it can sound quite clinical, sharp and with faster (perhaps unnatural!) decay. M9 can sound more musical with a slower more organic performance (particularly noticeable when considering bass performance). Might be worth trying a demo of the Hugo2 to make sure you are comfortable with the sound.

Second question is, are you looking for portability? M9 is absolutely fantastic for me as it’s a DAP that still fits in my pocket (albeit you need big jeans!) when walking around the house. Hugo2 (+2go) would be more bulky and I’m not convinced it’ll be free from wifi dropouts as others have mentioned (unless your internet is on point!). And, M9 is a dramatic improvement in Wi-Fi reliability over M8 in my experience (maybe my M8 unit was a lemon). M9 also has huge improvements in sound, UI speed, screen size (and it actually just works!) etc etc.

I’d be happy to answer any other questions you might have, and even test a track or two for you on both H2 and M9 for comparison purposes.

But, at this point, I’d be hesitant to recommend H2 without a demo first. Also, because the M9 builds on the great sound of the M8 you already like, I’m thinking that the M9 wouldn’t disappoint.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #806 of 1,352
Sounds like another system wide EQ option (JamesDSP) and battery charging stopping at whatever % (ACC/ACCA) is now possible since its been rooted, also the usual longer battery life from kernel tweaks. This dap wasn't on my upgrade list until now 🙄
Love it !!! Nice job having it rooted. Any guides for other people to enjoy similar experiences ?

Mar 17, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #808 of 1,352
Hey all. I just got this player. I want to use Nova as the default launcher but it keeps reverting to Quickstep. Any suggestions?

Second question: Chrome won't install through the play store. I click 'Install' but it stops the installation process within seconds.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #809 of 1,352
Hey all. I just got this player. I want to use Nova as the default launcher but it keeps reverting to Quickstep. Any suggestions?

Second question: Chrome won't install through the play store. I click 'Install' but it stops the installation process within seconds.
Could you disable Quickstep if you go into the Apps section of the settings?

Mar 17, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #810 of 1,352
I've forgotten to announce the arrival of my M9 in this thread - landed yesterday, and I adore it - by far the best sound quality I have heard from any player. Really scales all of my IEMs, IE900 was one I had stopped listening to recently, and the M9 has injected wonderful new life into it - can't stop listening now... likewise Traillii, and EXT.

20220317_230606.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back